Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   The Library (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What are you reading currently? (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=946)

Timmy 10-24-2008 12:53 PM

Re: What are you reading currently?

I think I have a book or two by Yancey. I'll check.

Several years back, I read Lee Strobel's The Case for Faith. This was before I fully left the AG (et al) faith, but was will into my "questioning" phase. I think Strobel did a somewhat better job than many at handling the usual questions (why is there suffering, a loving God wouldn't send people to hell, etc.), but still lacking. Why does God allow suffering, e.g.? Because God's way smarter than we are, and we can't possibly understand the big picture like He does. Mmmmkay. But it doesn't really answer the question! Essentially, it's an admission that we cannot answer it. Doesn't help me much, but in preaching-to-the-choir mode, it's probably fine. His books have a lot of fans among evangelicals, I'm sure.

Shawn 10-24-2008 01:37 PM

I read 'Case for Christ' a year ago. Somebody recommended it to me. It was a good read. I haven't read any of his other books though.

crakjak 10-24-2008 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmy (Post 614444)
I think I have a book or two by Yancey. I'll check.

Several years back, I read Lee Strobel's The Case for Faith. This was before I fully left the AG (et al) faith, but was will into my "questioning" phase. I think Strobel did a somewhat better job than many at handling the usual questions (why is there suffering, a loving God wouldn't send people to hell, etc.), but still lacking. Why does God allow suffering, e.g.? Because God's way smarter than we are, and we can't possibly understand the big picture like He does. Mmmmkay. But it doesn't really answer the question! Essentially, it's an admission that we cannot answer it. Doesn't help me much, but in preaching-to-the-choir mode, it's probably fine. His books have a lot of fans among evangelicals, I'm sure.

Yancy is much less religious in his writing.
I don't believe God has created a place as tradition has defined as hell, nor will He send His creation there.

Timmy 10-24-2008 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crakjak (Post 614639)
Yancy is much less religious in his writing.

Want to recommend a specific one?

Michael Phelps 10-24-2008 03:30 PM

"The Success Principles" by Jack Canfield, and for fun, "Heat Lightning" by Jack Sandford.

crakjak 10-24-2008 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmy (Post 614645)
Want to recommend a specific one?

Sure, I would recommend "Soul Survivor", How my faith survived the Church.

Tina 10-24-2008 03:49 PM

Just started reading The Witness by Dee Henderson.

crakjak 10-24-2008 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tina (Post 614670)
Just started reading The Witness by Dee Henderson.

I've read most of Dee's books, she does good.

Sam 10-24-2008 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crakjak (Post 614653)
Sure, I would recommend "Soul Survivor", How my faith survived the Church.

I picked up a copy of that at Half Price Books a few weeks ago but haven't read it. Several months ago I got a copy of his book on prayer there but I haven't read it yet. I have hundreds of books. Some I've read once. A few I've read more than once. Most I've skimmed a chapter of two and set aside for later.

Shawn 11-06-2008 02:04 PM

Finally started reading 'The Oneness of God' from David K. Bernard.

Also got to watch a debate of his on youtube. Very impressive. He's a great debater, but i was also impressed with the respect he afforded the other fellow and I feel he has a lot of compassion.