Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Political Talk (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Faulty Justice System (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=47215)

Jermyn Davidson 12-17-2014 08:52 AM

Faulty Justice System

After reading this lengthy article, do you think that this man was wrongly executed?

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...pc_trialbyfire

n david 12-17-2014 10:42 AM

Re: Faulty Justice System

That was a very long, and very sad article. From the surface, it does indeed appear an innocent man was executed. Disappointing that no one in Gov Perry's office or the prison board bothered to read Hurst's report which seems to have exonerated him.

Certain cases like this and Garner's highlight some faults within the Justice system. Unfortunately, it relies on human beings and they can be wrong - even the so-called experts.

Jermyn Davidson 12-17-2014 10:53 AM

Articles like this make me not want to believe in the death penalty.

Like the article asks, if the state is wrong, what is the recourse? How do you fix it?

And the saddest part is that his execution was actually preventable had the state just cared enough to read.

n david 12-17-2014 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson (Post 1348160)
Articles like this make me not want to believe in the death penalty.

Cases like this always cause questions about the death penalty. I still believe it's necessary.

Quote:

Like the article asks, if the state is wrong, what is the recourse? How do you fix it?

Change isn't likely. It'd be like trying to get Congress to pass a term limit bill. Any real change would require the state legislature to require some kind of action on part of the Governor and a consequence if it's not completed. And I doubt few, if any, Governors would ever sign a law like that.

Quote:

And the saddest part is that his execution was actually preventable had the state just cared enough to read.

Absolutely.

BrotherEastman 12-17-2014 11:36 AM

I read this long article, after reading it I am convinced that capital punishment should be banned. This man died because no one cared to CARE. As I have said in another thread, only 7 out of 8 cases get it right, I would fear to be on a jury that executes a possible innocent man/woman.

BrotherEastman 12-17-2014 11:40 AM

Texas is one of those states which thinks its justice system is infallible I guess.

n david 12-17-2014 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherEastman (Post 1348166)
I read this long article, after reading it I am convinced that capital punishment should be banned. This man died because no one cared to CARE. As I have said in another thread, only 7 out of 8 cases get it right, I would fear to be on a jury that executes a possible innocent man/woman.

It's hard for me to agree with supporting a genuine cold-blooded killer the rest of his natural life.

I've always heard the arguement be centered around the taxpayer cost of having to support an inmate serving life without parole.

I wonder what the comparison of costs would be for life without parole vs a death row inmate exhausting every legal avenue available and including the cost of the execution.

A case like this makes talk of costs seem a bit trivial and wrong.

Jermyn Davidson 12-17-2014 12:32 PM

Most of the people I run across who agree with me, who think the death penalty should be an option, think this way with costs ALWAYS being factored into the justification.

The author of this article makes a very convincing argument against the death penalty.

n david 12-17-2014 12:42 PM

I don't believe I could in good conscience vote to condemn someone to death, even if they were a cold-blooded killer.

Jermyn Davidson 12-17-2014 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n david (Post 1348193)
I don't believe I could in good conscience vote to condemn someone to death, even if they were a cold-blooded killer.

At least not after this article.

But I thought you were pro-death n david? :)