Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Fellowship Hall (http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Repentance after a Prophetic Word (http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=50316)

KeptByTheWord 11-12-2016 03:25 PM

Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
I would like help to compile a list of those (in scripture) who heard a prophetic or word from God preached to them, and repented, and what the outcome was.

And I would also like a list of those who heard the word of God, and who refused to repent, and what the outcome was.

I've thought of two. There are many more. Please add any you think of.

In 1 Sam. 13 Samuel asked King Saul what he had done. Saul, knowing what he had done wrong, made excuses, and had no repentance. Because he did not repent, and admit his guilt, then judgment was poured out.
1 Sam. 13:11-14
11 And Samuel said, What hast thou done? And Saul said, Because I saw that the people were scattered from me, and that thou camest not within the days appointed, and that the Philistines gathered themselves together at Michmash;
12 Therefore said I, The Philistines will come down now upon me to Gilgal, and I have not made supplication unto the LORD: I forced myself therefore, and offered a burnt offering.
13 And Samuel said to Saul, Thou hast done foolishly: thou hast not kept the commandment of the LORD thy God, which he commanded thee: for now would the LORD have established thy kingdom upon Israel for ever.
14 But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the LORD hath sought him a man after his own heart, and the LORD hath commanded him to be captain over his people, because thou hast not kept that which the LORD commanded thee.
No sign of repentance from Saul, and his kingdom was taken away from him.

To contrast this:

King Ahab was a wicked and evil man.

1 Kings 21:25 But there was none like unto Ahab, which did sell himself to work wickedness in the sight of the LORD, whom Jezebel his wife stirred up.


These were Elijah's words to him:

1 Kings 21:19-21
19 And thou shalt speak unto him, saying, Thus saith the LORD, Hast thou killed, and also taken possession? And thou shalt speak unto him, saying, Thus saith the LORD, In the place where dogs licked the blood of Naboth shall dogs lick thy blood, even thine.
20 And Ahab said to Elijah, Hast thou found me, O mine enemy? And he answered, I have found thee: because thou hast sold thyself to work evil in the sight of the LORD.
21 Behold, I will bring evil upon thee, and will take away thy posterity, and will cut off from Ahab him that pisseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel,

Upon hearing these words, Ahab did something Saul did not do:

1 Kings 21:27-28
27 And it came to pass, when Ahab heard those words, that he rent his clothes, and put sackcloth upon his flesh, and fasted, and lay in sackcloth, and went softly.
28 And the word of the LORD came to Elijah the Tishbite, saying,

And listen to how the Lord responded to wicked Ahab's penitent heart:

1 Kings 21:29 Seest thou how Ahab humbleth himself before me? because he humbleth himself before me, I will not bring the evil in his days: but in his son's days will I bring the evil upon his house.



I know there are a lot more records that describe repentance, and whether the judgment of God came to pass, or not, depending on the repentant state of the heart.

Please share, and thoughts on this subject appreciated.

KeptByTheWord 11-12-2016 08:56 PM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
I've continued to think along these lines. King Saul didn't commit the atrocious sins that King David did, yet, he lost his kingdom.

The difference was in what they did when the Word of God confronted them. King Saul excused his behavior. King David acknowledged his sin, and sought repentance.

God honors true repentance, even though judgment does come, sometimes it is softened or delayed.

mfblume 11-12-2016 08:58 PM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord (Post 1455168)
I've continued to think along these lines. King Saul didn't commit the atrocious sins that King David did, yet, he lost his kingdom.

The difference was in what they did when the Word of God confronted them. King Saul excused his behavior. King David acknowledged his sin, and sought repentance.

God honors true repentance, even though judgment does come, sometimes it is softened or delayed.

Now THAT is good word!!

KeptByTheWord 11-12-2016 09:08 PM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
Another example is Nebuchednezzar and then his son Belteshazzar. I read the story in Daniel this morning, and it is what got me to initially thinking about this.

Daniel 4

Daniel told Nebuchednezzar what was going to happen to him. Apparently N. didn't really believe Daniel, but after 12 months, it came to pass, and N was driven from men, his dwelling was with beasts and did eat grass, and his hair grew like eagles feathers and his nails like birds' claws. Daniel 4:33

But then! At the end of the days, N. lifted up his eyes unto heaven, and blessed the most High. Daniel 4:34 And the kingdom was not lost to N., not in his day.

Contrast that to his son, Belteshazzar to whom the prophetic word of the Lord came to, and he did not repent, even after being reminded of what his father had done, Daniel 5:21, and then seeing the handwriting on the wall, Daniel 5:24. Because Belteshazzar did not repent, Daniel 5:30 "in that night was Belteshazzar. the king of the Chaldeans slain". He died because he did not seek repentance, and the kingdom was lost.

A powerful reminder of what happens with true repentance.

mfblume 11-12-2016 09:10 PM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord (Post 1455173)
Another example is Nebuchednezzar and then his son Belteshazzar. I read the story in Daniel this morning, and it is what got me to initially thinking about this.

Daniel 4

Daniel told Nebuchednezzar what was going to happen to him. Apparently N. didn't really believe Daniel, but after 12 months, it came to pass, and N was driven from men, his dwelling was with beasts and did eat grass, and his hair grew like eagles feathers and his nails like birds' claws. Daniel 4:33

But then! At the end of the days, N. lifted up his eyes unto heaven, and blessed the most High. Daniel 4:34 And the kingdom was not lost to N., not in his day.

Contrast that to his son, Belteshazzar to whom the prophetic word of the Lord came to, and he did not repent, even after being reminded of what his father had done, Daniel 5:21, and then seeing the handwriting on the wall, Daniel 5:24. Because Belteshazzar did not repent, Daniel 5:30 "in that night was Belteshazzar. the king of the Chaldeans slain". He died because he did not seek repentance, and the kingdom was lost.

A powerful reminder of what happens with true repentance.

Reminds me of how one man committing one sin who does not repent is like a heathen. But a man who sins 490 times in one day and COMES TO YOU seeking forgiveness is to be forgiven each and every time!

Compare 1 sin to 490 in one day! Who LOOKS worse? Who actually IS worse?

KeptByTheWord 11-12-2016 10:20 PM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfblume (Post 1455175)
Reminds me of how one man committing one sin who does not repent is like a heathen. But a man who sins 490 times in one day and COMES TO YOU seeking forgiveness is to be forgiven each and every time!

Compare 1 sin to 490 in one day! Who LOOKS worse? Who actually IS worse?

That's a tough question, one all of us hope we never have to answer.

KeptByTheWord 11-12-2016 10:21 PM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
Another tough repentance question:

Hebrews 12
16 Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright.
17 For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.


You can note here that Esau sought repentance carefully with tears, but was rejected.

I've never quite understood why, when so many others through scripture after humbling themselves, found forgiveness, and yet, Esau was not granted that.

mfblume 11-12-2016 10:48 PM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord (Post 1455227)
Another tough repentance question:

Hebrews 12
16 Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright.
17 For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.


You can note here that Esau sought repentance carefully with tears, but was rejected.

I've never quite understood why, when so many others through scripture after humbling themselves, found forgiveness, and yet, Esau was not granted that.

That same book in Heb 6:6 notes those who walk away from Christ having actually known his power and glory, cannot be recovered. The situations are the same in both cases.

Esau's transgression of the birthright issue must be the same as someone walking away from the cross after fully knowing its power.

votivesoul 11-13-2016 08:52 PM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord (Post 1455227)
Another tough repentance question:

Hebrews 12
16 Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright.
17 For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.


You can note here that Esau sought repentance carefully with tears, but was rejected.

I've never quite understood why, when so many others through scripture after humbling themselves, found forgiveness, and yet, Esau was not granted that.

Here's a thought:

When Esau wept before his father Isaac, had he sinned?

Nope. Jacob was the deceiver who had lied and so, had sinned.

So, did Esau need to repent for what Jacob did to trick Isaac?

Nope. I think Esau sought repentance for Isaac. To repent in Greek is to reconsider, to think again, and change one's mind.

Esau pleaded with Isaac to change his mind.

That's what Esau sought carefully with tears. He wanted dear old dad to change his mind about who should have received the inheritance and blessing.

But he couldn't find it, because Pa Isaac refused to grant to him the blessing of the firstborn, having already given it, no matter how he was tricked into it by Jacob.

KeptByTheWord 11-13-2016 11:46 PM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfblume (Post 1455249)
That same book in Heb 6:6 notes those who walk away from Christ having actually known his power and glory, cannot be recovered. The situations are the same in both cases.

Esau's transgression of the birthright issue must be the same as someone walking away from the cross after fully knowing its power.

Excellent point. To know what you have, and willfully give it away as if it means nothing to you is dangerous ground to be on. Sobering thought.

KeptByTheWord 11-13-2016 11:49 PM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by votivesoul (Post 1455379)
Here's a thought:

When Esau wept before his father Isaac, had he sinned?

Nope. Jacob was the deceiver who had lied and so, had sinned.

So, did Esau need to repent for what Jacob did to trick Isaac?

Nope. I think Esau sought repentance for Isaac. To repent in Greek is to reconsider, to think again, and change one's mind.

Esau pleaded with Isaac to change his mind.

That's what Esau sought carefully with tears. He wanted dear old dad to change his mind about who should have received the inheritance and blessing.

But he couldn't find it, because Pa Isaac refused to grant to him the blessing of the firstborn, having already given it, no matter how he was tricked into it by Jacob.

Ahh. So Esau's repentance, was not true genuine repentance then, only a "feeling sorry because I got caught" kind of experience, rather than one of acknowledging his wrong, accepting it, and asking the Lord for mercy in his life because of his great mistake.

I like this explanation too. I think both yours and Bro. Blume are excellent responses to the dilemma of a pseudo-repentance experience that we see in Esau's case.

Either explanation is a sobering thought.

Timmy 11-15-2016 11:44 AM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
If a prophetic prediction comes true, does that prove it was from God?

KeptByTheWord 11-15-2016 08:37 PM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmy (Post 1455768)
If a prophetic prediction comes true, does that prove it was from God?

Absolutely not.

KeptByTheWord 11-15-2016 08:45 PM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
To qualify... the devil has knowledge of world events, and evil spirits are party to information that our natural man would not have access to. So because someone prophesies something and says it is going to come to pass, does not necessarily mean that they are speaking from the Lord.

2 Corinthians 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

Galatians 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

mfblume 11-15-2016 08:51 PM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord (Post 1455936)
Absolutely not.

Amen.

Deuteronomy 13:1-3 If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder, (2) And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them; (3) Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the LORD your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.

Timmy 11-17-2016 10:16 AM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord (Post 1455937)
To qualify... the devil has knowledge of world events, and evil spirits are party to information that our natural man would not have access to. So because someone prophesies something and says it is going to come to pass, does not necessarily mean that they are speaking from the Lord.

2 Corinthians 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

Galatians 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

So if it comes true, it's either from God or from the devil. Got it.

mfblume 11-17-2016 10:28 AM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfblume (Post 1455940)
Amen.

Deuteronomy 13:1-3 If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder, (2) And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them; (3) Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the LORD your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.

bump

Timmy 11-17-2016 11:00 AM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfblume (Post 1456277)
bump

Or that, OK. ;)

Amanah 11-17-2016 12:09 PM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmy (Post 1456273)
So if it comes true, it's either from God or from the devil. Got it.

evil genius at work . . .

shazeep 11-17-2016 02:03 PM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
?

seems kinda harsh, Amanah. "evil..?" can you dispute the statement?

(the clue is in the "scapegoat," for whatever that might be worth to anyone.)

Amanah 11-17-2016 04:21 PM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
evil genius:
2.Literally, a brilliant person who uses his abilities for negative or harmful ends . . .

I think it fits for comments that seek to negate what others hold as truth

shazeep 11-17-2016 05:43 PM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmy (Post 1456273)
So if it comes true, it's either from God or from the devil. Got it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amanah (Post 1456298)
evil genius at work . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazeep (Post 1456314)
?

seems kinda harsh, Amanah. "evil..?" can you dispute the statement?

(the clue is in the "scapegoat," for whatever that might be worth to anyone.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amanah (Post 1456339)
evil genius:
2.Literally, a brilliant person who uses his abilities for negative or harmful ends . . .

I think it fits for comments that seek to negate what others hold as truth

well, but wadr you have not successfully yet shown that what he said was even untrue, let alone "evil."

Amanah 11-17-2016 05:51 PM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
*evil genius* is a figure of speech, often said in jest

shazeep 11-17-2016 06:05 PM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
ok

KeptByTheWord 11-17-2016 06:49 PM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amanah (Post 1456339)
evil genius:
2.Literally, a brilliant person who uses his abilities for negative or harmful ends . . .

I think it fits for comments that seek to negate what others hold as truth

:thumbsup Really though, I think evil genius is too kind.

He reminds me more of a rooster strutting around as if he's got something to share, only when you try to talk to him, he's got nothing, just the same old game he's been playing as long as he's been at AFF, and a whole bunch of crow about nothing...

shazeep 11-18-2016 09:22 AM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
yet i note he does not throw rocks at you guys, and again, all he spoke was the truth, did he not?

Amanah 11-18-2016 09:37 AM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by shazeep (Post 1456431)
yet i note he does not throw rocks at you guys, and again, all he spoke was the truth, did he not?

well it is a backhanded compliment, is it not?

shazeep 11-18-2016 06:57 PM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
compliment? i can't understand why he even bothers, as i come and do the same thing, myself. i can only put it down to the deep consternation every follower of what was once a proud and humble faith feels when they join this little pit from hell, and then realize that they have stumbled into a mire, that nonetheless owns the name of that once powerful faith, Apostolic.

why you are not being blocked, for suggesting that a man--who, after all, made a perfectly factual representation, from Scripture, that i can Witness in three places, and that you cannot answer with the Book, or common sense, and all you got is "jokes," now, when pressed--is any kind of "evil" (which is hardly a joke in this context now, is it?), is the real question, wadr.

Is, maybe, evil being called good here, too? ya think?

good day.

shazeep 11-18-2016 07:08 PM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord (Post 1456377)
:thumbsup Really though, I think evil genius is too kind.

He reminds me more of a rooster strutting around as if he's got something to share, only when you try to talk to him, he's got nothing, just the same old game he's been playing as long as he's been at AFF, and a whole bunch of crow about nothing...

really though, you are demonstrably an Apostate Slimeball Whore, who loves satan, your father.


hope you get your mansion, scum.

KeptByTheWord 11-18-2016 07:39 PM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
You are in my prayers Shaz.

mfblume 11-18-2016 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amanah (Post 1456298)

evil genius at work . . .

Nailed it!

Esaias 11-18-2016 08:16 PM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by shazeep (Post 1456557)
really though, you are demonstrably an apostate slimeball whore, who loves satan, your father.


Hope you get your mansion, scum.

if this doesn't warrant an immediate, permanent ban, then nothing could.

KeptByTheWord 11-18-2016 09:00 PM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esaias (Post 1456587)
if this doesn't warrant an immediate, permanent ban, then nothing could.

I agree.

mfblume 11-18-2016 09:08 PM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord (Post 1456594)
I agree.

I agree, too.

Calling you a "whore." Wow.

Evang.Benincasa 11-18-2016 09:09 PM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by shazeep (Post 1456557)
really though, you are demonstrably an Apostate Slimeball Whore, who loves satan, your father.


hope you get your mansion, scum.

Well, there you go boys and girls.

This cat has just blown what little brain cells he had left.

Good bye shazeep, I guess you will change nicks and return after you are banned.

KeptByTheWord 11-18-2016 09:54 PM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
Any women in his life may be suffering, as he seems to particularly have a hatred towards women in general when he gets worked up. I am praying for him. No words we can say will help the issues he has.

Jito463 11-18-2016 11:27 PM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfblume (Post 1456606)
I agree, too.

Calling you a "whore." Wow.

In another thread, he called her a slut. :foottap

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord (Post 1456621)
Any women in his life may be suffering, as he seems to particularly have a hatred towards women in general when he gets worked up. I am praying for him. No words we can say will help the issues he has.

I agree. Then again, even the Lord told his disciples to shake the dust off their feet and walk on, if their message wasn't received. I think we've been far too accommodating of him and his ilk.

mfblume 11-19-2016 07:04 AM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jito463 (Post 1456631)
In another thread, he called her a slut. :foottap

By their fruits...

houston 11-20-2016 12:15 AM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esaias (Post 1456587)
if this doesn't warrant an immediate, permanent ban, then nothing could.

Did you report it?

houston 11-20-2016 12:15 AM

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord (Post 1456594)
I agree.

Did you report it?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.