Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Fellowship Hall (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Faith Like Potatoes (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=24905)

U376977 07-02-2009 09:16 AM

Faith Like Potatoes

One of the best movies I have seen in a long long time. I got it thru netflix. I liked to so much I am going to buy it, it is sold at Walmart. I watched it by myself and then the next night with my wife. We even watched all the documentary and "behind the scenes footage." We are having some people over from the church and are going to watch it together. Goes way beyond fireproof.

Do yourself a favor and rent/buy it. Post what you think.

Below is from wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faith_Like_Potatoes
Faith Like Potatoes is a 2006 South African drama film directed by Regardt van den Bergh. It is based on a book written by Angus Buchan of the same title which was published in 1988. It is based on the true story and life of Angus Buchan and the Buchan family.

Set in Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa, this story is about a Zambian farmer who leaves his farm in the midst of political unrest and racially charged land reclaims and travels south with his family to start a better life in KwaZulu Natal, South Africa. With nothing more than a caravan on a patch of land, and help from his foreman, Simeon Bhengu, the Buchan family struggle to settle in a new country. Faced with ever mounting challenges, hardships and personal turmoil, Angus quickly spirals down into a life consumed by anger, fear and destruction. Based on events in the life of Angus Buchan, the book was adapted for the big screen by award-winning actor and director, Regardt van den Bergh, and weaves together the moving journey of a man who, like his potatoes, grows his faith, unseen until the harvest.

It premiered on October 15, 2006 and opened in cinemas in South Africa on October 27th, 2006.[1] It was acclaimed and has been recognised in numerous International Film Festivals including the Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival and the Australian International Film Festival. It was awarded the Audience Choice award at The 2006 Sabaoth International Film Festival (Milan, Italy), and won Best Feature at the 2006 Mumbai International FICTS Festival

Hoovie 07-02-2009 09:20 AM

Re: Faith Like Potatoes

If you research a bit more you will find he was Pentecostal/Charismatic and took some heat from fellow Christians/Pastors for that.

U376977 07-02-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Hoover (Post 767329)
If you research a bit more you will find he was Pentecostal/Charismatic and took some heat from fellow Christians/Pastors for that.

that was hinted at in the documentary portion of the dvd. but...over there..."charismatic" and "pentecostal" does not carry the same meaning and baggage that it has here. many people think "charismatic" means compromise, leaving the truth, blah, blah. and pentecostal means poor and ignorant people who talk in tongues all the time.

Just saying they can be cultural terms and there is a different culture there.

gloryseeker 07-02-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by U376977 (Post 767326)
One of the best movies I have seen in a long long time. I got it thru netflix. I liked to so much I am going to buy it, it is sold at Walmart. I watched it by myself and then the next night with my wife. We even watched all the documentary and "behind the scenes footage." We are having some people over from the church and are going to watch it together. Goes way beyond fireproof.

Do yourself a favor and rent/buy it. Post what you think.

Below is from wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faith_Like_Potatoes
Faith Like Potatoes is a 2006 South African drama film directed by Regardt van den Bergh. It is based on a book written by Angus Buchan of the same title which was published in 1988. It is based on the true story and life of Angus Buchan and the Buchan family.

Set in Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa, this story is about a Zambian farmer who leaves his farm in the midst of political unrest and racially charged land reclaims and travels south with his family to start a better life in KwaZulu Natal, South Africa. With nothing more than a caravan on a patch of land, and help from his foreman, Simeon Bhengu, the Buchan family struggle to settle in a new country. Faced with ever mounting challenges, hardships and personal turmoil, Angus quickly spirals down into a life consumed by anger, fear and destruction. Based on events in the life of Angus Buchan, the book was adapted for the big screen by award-winning actor and director, Regardt van den Bergh, and weaves together the moving journey of a man who, like his potatoes, grows his faith, unseen until the harvest.

It premiered on October 15, 2006 and opened in cinemas in South Africa on October 27th, 2006.[1] It was acclaimed and has been recognised in numerous International Film Festivals including the Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival and the Australian International Film Festival. It was awarded the Audience Choice award at The 2006 Sabaoth International Film Festival (Milan, Italy), and won Best Feature at the 2006 Mumbai International FICTS Festival

Good movie, good story, but moved a bit too slow

SeekingOne 07-02-2009 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gloryseeker (Post 767363)
Good movie, good story, but moved a bit too slow

We rented this once, and didn't make it to the good part I guess. We agree that it moved way too slow. I guess we should have endured to the end. LOL We will rent it again sometime to see what is so great about it.

Margies3 07-02-2009 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeekingOne (Post 767369)
We rented this once, and didn't make it to the good part I guess. We agree that it moved way too slow. I guess we should have endured to the end. LOL We will rent it again sometime to see what is so great about it.

me too. I made it half way through and turned it off. Maybe I'll do like you, SeekingOne and give it another shot.

U376977 07-03-2009 07:51 AM

It is definately not an action flic. It was made in S Africa so the style is more British than American and they have a sterotype image of being dull. But without giving away details of the movie, there was; a powerful conversion scene that was realistic...MINUS THE WATER (LoL), a scene where they dealt with a tragic death by a farm accident, a miracle rain, two miracle harvests, prayer that changed the nation, subtle statements all thru the movie about racism and its evils. The stump in the front yard is symbolic of things in Angus' life that are "rooted out." And there WAS NOT A SEX SCENE in the whole movie, no adultry. They actually loved each other and in the documentary you can see why, his wife has a beautiful spirit.
Maybe you should watch the documentary first then the movie will make more sense.

Margies3 07-03-2009 09:26 AM

part of the problem when I watched it was that I was watching on my friend's laptop while I waited for Keith at a long, long, long doctor's appointment. The movie kept glitching and I'd have to start over and fast forward to the point it glitched at. By the time it had done that 5 times, I was done watching. I had the same problem with 2 other movies that day, but they kept my attention enough to make it worth doing. So maybe I'll give this one a shot again. Only watch it at home where I won't have that problem :)