Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   The Music Room (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Contemporary Christian Music (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=27457)

Jermyn Davidson 11-16-2009 04:13 PM

Contemporary Christian Music
 
Is a genre of music that is in fact of the world, but with strong Christian lyrics.

If this is not true, how would you describe it?



Would you label Audio Adrenaline as Christian Rock or Contemporary Christian Music? One or the other or both?

DC Talk?

Point of Grace?


Are there other Holy Ghost filled Apostolics who have a conviction AGAINST CCM?

Christian Rock?

Christian Rap?

Christian Jazz?


There are some well meaning relatively new members of my church who lately have been RELENTLESS in trying to get me to see the error of my ways in listening to Christian Rap.


However, I am trying to choose my words wisely with these folks because I really don't want to say or do something to cause them to stumble or to doubt the work that God is doing and the direction God is taking them in their lives.



Maybe I should be convicted about Christian Rap, but I lump THIS GENRE OF MUSIC in the same category as CCM.

Am I misguided?

Apocrypha 11-16-2009 04:14 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Its a clean alternative to music that promotes sinful behavior. Its a neutral issue and should be left to the personal convictions of the individual.

Jermyn Davidson 11-16-2009 04:22 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apocrypha (Post 834730)
Its a clean alternative to music that promotes sinful behavior. Its a neutral issue and should be left to the personal convictions of the individual.

Well, one of them is making the holiness argument, about coming out from the world and being separated.

He has a strong point with the way that many of the "Christian" rappers dress.

However, I never watch these guys on tv and barely watch tv anyway.

For what I listen to, I find it very encouraging spiritually.


The holiness argument is so hard to discuss without the potential of discouraging or destroying the vital workings of the Lord in their lives, through their thought processes.

Holiness is vital and I understand that.

But I don't see any Contemporary Christian Music that is DEFINITELY CHRISTIAN in theme as a violation of Biblical holiness.


They keep bringing it up around me.

I am tinking that maybe I should consider avoiding them for a while.

I don't want to cause confusion at all in any one's life or mind.

Apocrypha 11-16-2009 04:29 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson (Post 834731)
Well, one of them is making the holiness argument, about coming out from the world and being separated.

He has a strong point with the way that many of the "Christian" rappers dress.

However, I never watch these guys on tv and barely watch tv anyway.

For what I listen to, I find it very encouraging spiritually.


The holiness argument is so hard to discuss without the potential of discouraging or destroying the vital workings of the Lord in their lives, through their thought processes.

Holiness is vital and I understand that.

But I don't see any Contemporary Christian Music that is DEFINITELY CHRISTIAN in theme as a violation of Biblical holiness.


They keep bringing it up around me.

I am tinking that maybe I should consider avoiding them for a while.

I don't want to cause confusion at all in any one's life or mind.

The entire usage of the word 'holiness' in the NT is tricky. It actually ties more into the english word "sanctification" which is a process, not a state of being which changes the entire meaning of it.

http://strongsnumbers.com/greek/38.htm

RandyWayne 11-16-2009 05:51 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
When I was growing up there was exactly three acceptable styles of Christian music: Southern Gospel, (choir) praise, and hymns. Thankfully most of the people who hold to this strong opinion are dying off.

At least in some church's there are more then TWO kinds! It really does remind me of this:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2230/...97c01790_o.jpg

Apocrypha 11-16-2009 06:20 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Don't touch the Lords annointed, they are on a mission from Gawd :)

Norman 11-16-2009 06:50 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
I don't like a lot of contemporary music, but I have no reason to say it is wrong.
:smack

*AQuietPlace* 11-16-2009 06:55 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
"Well, one of them is making the holiness argument, about coming out from the world and being separated."

This argument is used a lot when people want to try to impose their opinions on other people.

This area is an area of liberty. If the lyrics don't glorify evil, then there is no Biblical basis against them.

Arphaxad 11-16-2009 06:58 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
at one time or another any form of Christian music was contemporary and railed against.

:doggyrun

Baron1710 11-16-2009 07:05 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson (Post 834728)
Is a genre of music that is in fact of the world, but with strong Christian lyrics.

If this is not true, how would you describe it?



Would you label Audio Adrenaline as Christian Rock or Contemporary Christian Music? One or the other or both?

DC Talk?

Point of Grace?


Are there other Holy Ghost filled Apostolics who have a conviction AGAINST CCM?

Christian Rock?

Christian Rap?

Christian Jazz?


There are some well meaning relatively new members of my church who lately have been RELENTLESS in trying to get me to see the error of my ways in listening to Christian Rap.


However, I am trying to choose my words wisely with these folks because I really don't want to say or do something to cause them to stumble or to doubt the work that God is doing and the direction God is taking them in their lives.



Maybe I should be convicted about Christian Rap, but I lump THIS GENRE OF MUSIC in the same category as CCM.

Am I misguided?

Haven't been too involved in the CCM music scene for a long time, used to listen to a lot of different Christian Rap (PID, SFC, D-Boy, MCRG, Stephen Wiley, Dc Talk) not so much anymore. My kids pretty much determine the music in this house. A lot of country, pop, and punk. I no longer have a say in music. Rockin' the beer gut is my new favorite.

tstew 11-16-2009 07:08 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Jermyn, have you watched any of the Truth Behind HipHop series? There are some pretty interesting things he points out about the Hip Hop movement. Of course, he focuses on Hip Hop because that is his audience and forte, but I would apply quite a bit of the same concepts to many other genres.

ChTatum 11-16-2009 07:17 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Sad, ain't it?

OnTheFritz 11-16-2009 08:04 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Alternative-ish Christian music was a major influence over me in a good way. Daniel Amos, 77s, and Steve Taylor had some great songs with powerful lyrics. Love that stuff.

Michael The Disciple 11-16-2009 08:09 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Example of good sanctified Christian music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fAQJ...BA6861942BD591

holinesspk 11-16-2009 08:27 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson (Post 834728)
Is a genre of music that is in fact of the world, but with strong Christian lyrics.

If this is not true, how would you describe it?



Would you label Audio Adrenaline as Christian Rock or Contemporary Christian Music? One or the other or both?

Neither actually. Take the word "Christian" off because it isnt. And by the way, no, those of us who are still against this so-called "christian" music, are not dying off. We are alive and well. There is plenty of music of there without listening to "christian rock, rap, jazz, techno, etc". And I know this to be true, because my brother and I have been collecting christian music for a long time. We probably have the largest music collection in our church. I think that last count we had around 38,000 songs. We are pretty close to needing some more terabytes of storage for our computers. lol.

I can tell you right now that what we have is indeed christian, it isnt rock, rap or techno, or whatever else they like to claim is christian. It truely is.

Quote:

DC Talk?

Point of Grace?
Nope and nope.


Quote:

Are there other Holy Ghost filled Apostolics who have a conviction AGAINST CCM?

Christian Rock?

Christian Rap?

Christian Jazz?
Yes indeed. Christian music is different than wordly music, you should be able to see a difference, just like our lives should show. Christian music should glorify the Lord and not mimick the world IMO. So yes there are other apostolics who are still against all that.


Quote:

There are some well meaning relatively new members of my church who lately have been RELENTLESS in trying to get me to see the error of my ways in listening to Christian Rap.


However, I am trying to choose my words wisely with these folks because I really don't want to say or do something to cause them to stumble or to doubt the work that God is doing and the direction God is taking them in their lives.

Maybe I should be convicted about Christian Rap, but I lump THIS GENRE OF MUSIC in the same category as CCM.

Am I misguided?
Personally I view that music as ungodly, but let the Lord guide you there, not a bunch of goofy screen names on Apostate Fiends Forum. lol....

You may hit a different conclusion than all those brought up on here, I dunno. I doubt it, but just make sure to not let everyones opinions on here make that decision for you. Get your nose in the Word, and let the Lord guide you there.

RandyWayne 11-16-2009 08:31 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by holinesspk (Post 834823)
Neither actually. Take the word "Christian" off because it isnt. And by the way, no, those of us who are still against this so-called "christian" music, are not dying off. We are alive and well. There is plenty of music of there without listening to "christian rock, rap, jazz, techno, etc". And I know this to be true, because my brother and I have been collecting christian music for a long time. We probably have the largest music collection in our church. I think that last count we had around 38,000 songs. We are pretty close to needing some more terabytes of storage for our computers. lol.

I can tell you right now that what we have is indeed christian, it isnt rock, rap or techno, or whatever else they like to claim is christian. It truely is.



Nope and nope.




Yes indeed. Christian music is different than wordly music, you should be able to see a difference, just like our lives should show. Christian music should glorify the Lord and not mimick the world IMO. So yes there are other apostolics who are still against all that.




Personally I view that music as ungodly, but let the Lord guide you there, not a bunch of goofy screen names on Apostate Fiends Forum. lol....

You may hit a different conclusion than all those brought up on here, I dunno. I doubt it, but just make sure to not let everyones opinions on here make that decision for you. Get your nose in the Word, and let the Lord guide you there.

You just proclaimed Christian rock, rap, jaz, and techno as ungodly.... While I cannot STAND rap or hip hop as a style, I have to ask why -and far far more importantly, what WOULD good Christian music be? As a style that is.

(Please don't say 'Southern Gospel' because that is the same as bringing out the old "appearence of age" argument on a young Earth/old Earth thread.)

Timmy 11-16-2009 08:32 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by holinesspk (Post 834823)
. . .

lol

holinesspk 11-16-2009 09:07 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyWayne (Post 834824)
You just proclaimed Christian rock, rap, jaz, and techno as ungodly.... While I cannot STAND rap or hip hop as a style, I have to ask why -and far far more importantly, what WOULD good Christian music be? As a style that is.

(Please don't say 'Southern Gospel' because that is the same as bringing out the old "appearence of age" argument on a young Earth/old Earth thread.)

The Crabbs
The Gaithers
The Ruppes

:D



You know honestly I dont add all southern gospel, or black gospel or contemporary or anything into "christian". Some is, and some isnt. What genres are in my music collection? Oh goodness, lots. You could go fom Don Moen and Bob Fitts, to those horrid groups as mentioned above (lol), to Mississippi Mass Choir, to Jackson Masss Choir, to Mahalia Jackson, to Walt Mills, to Byron Cage, to SOME IBC (not all *shudder*), to Mark Condon, etc. I am more concerned with the music itself usually than who sings.

I have a filter for the music that goes into my collection. If somewhere along the way, this music gets stopped by a question in my personal filter, its thrown out. Here is my filter for music.

1. Is it mimicking the world?

2. Does it sound like the world?

2A. If the lyrics were taken away, could you tell if it was christian or not?

3. Who or what does it glorify?

4. Do the singers try to act like the world?

5. Do the singers make me cringe by their appearance and look like black sabbath or something?

6. Is the music pure?

7. Is the music straightforward (i.e. no hidden messaging)?

8. **Here is a personal one. Do the guy singers sound gay? LOL! (If they do, out the window it goes. UGH!)

9. Can I pray with this music playing?

10. More importantly can I break through to the Holy Ghost with this music playing?

11. Deep down, would I be embarrased and kinda turn down this music if the Lord walked in as it was playing?

12. Does this group playing the song also play worldly songs?

13. Does the message of the song bring praise to the Lord?

14. Does the music pump up my flesh with a beat or my soul with praise?

15. Does this music portray a message contrary to the doctrine I know to be true or the Gospel of Jesus Christ?

16. What is the background of the singer or group and does it bring glory to the Lord or not?

17. Does this song or CD or whatever pass the Philippians 4:8 test?



And that gives you an idea. That may not be all of my personal guidelines for music, but it is the general idea. Music is powerful and as such we need to have protections in place when dealing with music.

Look who first used music, who probably understands the power in music more than anyone else in the universe under the Lord Himself. Thats right, satan. The former leader of worship in Heaven. The angel who apparently had built in musical instruments. I would say that satan understands music and how to use it for his benefit. Thats why I am so careful about music. The Deciever uses music as a weapon against the people of God and as such we need to be careful of music because music is power.

NewWine 11-16-2009 11:02 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
:amen A-men I say to your list Holinessspk; I particularly like questions 3, 9, 10, and 11. Thank you for sharing that

I enjoy must and once had tons of music. But, I went through a time of spiritual house cleaning if you will; and I smashed tons of CDs. Some I had purchased just because I like one single song on the CD. I thought to myself, while only 1:12 songs is okay to listen to my money just supported 11 songs that are not okay to listen to. This may sound off-topic, but I believe that it has a lot to do with the topic of this thread/discussion. How many "Christian" singers say the name of Jesus in a song? How many "Christian" singers sing about the power in the name of Jesus? What about the blood? Now, I was listening to something some time ago and the person speaking made a statement was in answering the following question: What makes a song gospel? Their answer was that if it doesn't didn't mention the name or the blood it wasn't gospel.

There are some beats to music that I do not find appropriate for a Christian to listen to. I absolutely cringe when I hear "heavy-metal" and it is supposed to be a song that is uplifting God. That genre of music did not come from God, yet, some think it's okay. I would guesstimate that over 40% of the music a person bops to; is not because they are listening to the lyrics, but because the music (instruments) have evoked an emotion within them. I say ask yourself the question: What feelings do you have when listening to a song? How does your state of mind change?

For example: I love classical music, and was trained in classical violin. However, there are some classical songs that can take you from a happy state to a down right depression mood. Music is powerful and one must allow the Holy Ghost to lead and guide them or we can find ourselves taking in things that we are not even conscious of. :choir

deadeye 11-16-2009 11:18 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewWine (Post 834869)
:amen A-men I say to your list Holinessspk; I particularly like questions 3, 9, 10, and 11. Thank you for sharing that

I enjoy must and once had tons of music. But, I went through a time of spiritual house cleaning if you will; and I smashed tons of CDs. Some I had purchased just because I like one single song on the CD. I thought to myself, while only 1:12 songs is okay to listen to my money just supported 11 songs that are not okay to listen to. This may sound off-topic, but I believe that it has a lot to do with the topic of this thread/discussion. How many "Christian" singers say the name of Jesus in a song? How many "Christian" singers sing about the power in the name of Jesus? What about the blood? Now, I was listening to something some time ago and the person speaking made a statement was in answering the following question: What makes a song gospel? Their answer was that if it doesn't didn't mention the name or the blood it wasn't gospel.

There are some beats to music that I do not find appropriate for a Christian to listen to. I absolutely cringe when I hear "heavy-metal" and it is supposed to be a song that is uplifting God. That genre of music did not come from God, yet, some think it's okay. I would guesstimate that over 40% of the music a person bops to; is not because they are listening to the lyrics, but because the music (instruments) have evoked an emotion within them. I say ask yourself the question: What feelings do you have when listening to a song? How does your state of mind change?

For example: I love classical music, and was trained in classical violin. However, there are some classical songs that can take you from a happy state to a down right depression mood. Music is powerful and one must allow the Holy Ghost to lead and guide them or we can find ourselves taking in things that we are not even conscious of. :choir

Music to slit your wrists by....

holinesspk 11-16-2009 11:33 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewWine (Post 834869)
:amen A-men I say to your list Holinessspk; I particularly like questions 3, 9, 10, and 11. Thank you for sharing that

I enjoy must and once had tons of music. But, I went through a time of spiritual house cleaning if you will; and I smashed tons of CDs. Some I had purchased just because I like one single song on the CD. I thought to myself, while only 1:12 songs is okay to listen to my money just supported 11 songs that are not okay to listen to. This may sound off-topic, but I believe that it has a lot to do with the topic of this thread/discussion. How many "Christian" singers say the name of Jesus in a song? How many "Christian" singers sing about the power in the name of Jesus? What about the blood? Now, I was listening to something some time ago and the person speaking made a statement was in answering the following question: What makes a song gospel? Their answer was that if it doesn't didn't mention the name or the blood it wasn't gospel.

There are some beats to music that I do not find appropriate for a Christian to listen to. I absolutely cringe when I hear "heavy-metal" and it is supposed to be a song that is uplifting God. That genre of music did not come from God, yet, some think it's okay. I would guesstimate that over 40% of the music a person bops to; is not because they are listening to the lyrics, but because the music (instruments) have evoked an emotion within them. I say ask yourself the question: What feelings do you have when listening to a song? How does your state of mind change?

For example: I love classical music, and was trained in classical violin. However, there are some classical songs that can take you from a happy state to a down right depression mood. Music is powerful and one must allow the Holy Ghost to lead and guide them or we can find ourselves taking in things that we are not even conscious of. :choir

Your very welcome and by the way, many kudos to your post A lot of wisdom there. :thumbsup

Barb 11-17-2009 08:06 AM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
There have always been different opinions regarding music, and what is and is not holy.

Back in the day, 1920s I think, the Baptist church was in an uproar because a young man came into the church bringing his style and flavor of music with him.

They said he was "bringing Blues into the church."

That man was Thomas Dorsey, and the songs he wrote were Peace In the Valley and Precious Lord, Take My Hand.

These are songs we call "classics" today...hymns of the church, but they caused quite a stir back then.

I remember when the Apostolic church discovered 'Black Gospel'...by the reactions of some folks, you would have thought it was the end of the world as we know it.

I mean, it was just I've Got Confidence (Andrae' Crouch) and O Happy Day (Edwin Hawkins), for crying out loud, but what an uproar there was.

We are all different, and what moves me may not move you.

In my humble opinion, we need to quit nitpicking over every little detail, and just let people alone.

Timmy 11-17-2009 08:22 AM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by holinesspk (Post 834842)
The Crabbs
The Gaithers
The Ruppes

:D



You know honestly I dont add all southern gospel, or black gospel or contemporary or anything into "christian". Some is, and some isnt. What genres are in my music collection? Oh goodness, lots. You could go fom Don Moen and Bob Fitts, to those horrid groups as mentioned above (lol), to Mississippi Mass Choir, to Jackson Masss Choir, to Mahalia Jackson, to Walt Mills, to Byron Cage, to SOME IBC (not all *shudder*), to Mark Condon, etc. I am more concerned with the music itself usually than who sings.

I have a filter for the music that goes into my collection. If somewhere along the way, this music gets stopped by a question in my personal filter, its thrown out. Here is my filter for music.

1. Is it mimicking the world?

2. Does it sound like the world?

2A. If the lyrics were taken away, could you tell if it was christian or not?

3. Who or what does it glorify?

4. Do the singers try to act like the world?

5. Do the singers make me cringe by their appearance and look like black sabbath or something?

6. Is the music pure?

7. Is the music straightforward (i.e. no hidden messaging)?

8. **Here is a personal one. Do the guy singers sound gay? LOL! (If they do, out the window it goes. UGH!)

9. Can I pray with this music playing?

10. More importantly can I break through to the Holy Ghost with this music playing?

11. Deep down, would I be embarrased and kinda turn down this music if the Lord walked in as it was playing?

12. Does this group playing the song also play worldly songs?

13. Does the message of the song bring praise to the Lord?

14. Does the music pump up my flesh with a beat or my soul with praise?

15. Does this music portray a message contrary to the doctrine I know to be true or the Gospel of Jesus Christ?

16. What is the background of the singer or group and does it bring glory to the Lord or not?

17. Does this song or CD or whatever pass the Philippians 4:8 test?

. . .

18. Does it make Timmy want to curl up in a fetal position?

holinesspk 11-17-2009 08:37 AM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmy (Post 834917)
18. Does it make Timmy want to curl up in a fetal position?

lol....thats important for you isnt it? :spit

jfrog 11-17-2009 08:56 AM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by holinesspk (Post 834842)

I have a filter for the music that goes into my collection. If somewhere along the way, this music gets stopped by a question in my personal filter, its thrown out. Here is my filter for music.

1. Is it mimicking the world?

2. Does it sound like the world?

2A. If the lyrics were taken away, could you tell if it was christian or not?

3. Who or what does it glorify?

4. Do the singers try to act like the world?

5. Do the singers make me cringe by their appearance and look like black sabbath or something?

6. Is the music pure?

7. Is the music straightforward (i.e. no hidden messaging)?

8. **Here is a personal one. Do the guy singers sound gay? LOL! (If they do, out the window it goes. UGH!)


9. Can I pray with this music playing?

10. More importantly can I break through to the Holy Ghost with this music playing?

11. Deep down, would I be embarrased and kinda turn down this music if the Lord walked in as it was playing?

12. Does this group playing the song also play worldly songs?

13. Does the message of the song bring praise to the Lord?

14. Does the music pump up my flesh with a beat or my soul with praise?

15. Does this music portray a message contrary to the doctrine I know to be true or the Gospel of Jesus Christ?

16. What is the background of the singer or group and does it bring glory to the Lord or not?


17. Does this song or CD or whatever pass the Philippians 4:8 test?


And that gives you an idea. That may not be all of my personal guidelines for music, but it is the general idea. Music is powerful and as such we need to have protections in place when dealing with music.

1. I cannot think of very many christian songs that in there time weren't influenced by "the world". No style of Christian music was developed in a vaccum. There were "worldly" influences on even the most "godly" of songs.

2. There are "worldly" influences on every style of christian music. For further proof ask the bands which groups inspired them. Most will mention some non-christian bands. For the ones that mention only Christian bands, most of those christian bands which they mention are going to mention non-christian ones being their inspiration. So if you look at the inspiration of Christian bands, none are more than one or two bands removed from secular influence, which means secular music has influenced basically all christian music.

2A. It's only a style. I could probably find 10 songs without words and you couldn't tell me correctly which were christian and which were not...

3. I would think if something has Christian lyrics then it would be Christ getting glorified?

4. I doubt you listen to many songs by singers who fit the apostolic mold. Since everything else other than apostolic is "the world" then I doubt you follow #4.

5. Why does it matter how they look, as long as they aren't dressed showing alot of skin? God is not only glorified by Suits, Polo Shirts, and Christian T-Shirts. God can be glorified just as much by an emo, punk, gothic, or any other type of appearance as he can by Suits and Polo Shirts.

6. No music is pure. None is written in a vaccum. All music/musicians have been influenced by secular sources.

7. I assume you mean does it come out and say the words "praise God" instead of never mentioning God by name. God is glorified by "hidden messages" just as well as explicit ones.

8. LOL, what exactly does gay sound like when a person is singing? And how can you tell the difference between a guy sounding gay while singing and a guy with a naturally high and not so masculine voice while singing?

9. I have prayed to secular songs with cuss words in them before. It was some good praying too. :) And it was not in spite of the song that I was praying, but I was praying with the song.

10. I can't remember if I did pray in tongues that day time or not, but I know that I was sure close if I didn't and could have very easily.

11. Embarressment is usually caused by people claiming all the music that you listen to is ungodly. Not because it is, but because of the doubt it causes about that music. So then the person listening to such music isn't as certain about it as they once were. So the embarressment doesn't come from them knowing the music is wrong deep down, but from someone else saying it is .

12. What does it matter if they play "worldly" songs also. I don't think anyone has a problem with the national anthem... and that definately isn't christian... Now if they are singing songs about sex and drugs and then about God, that would be a problem. But I don't know of any Christain band that does this.

13. The Lord can be praised in many ways. Going to work and taking care of your family is one way God can be praised. No words even needed. The beauty of creation is a praise to God, and not one word even needs said by the mountains and oceans and stars to do this. There are many messages that bring praise to God besides "Praise God". Besides "Jesus died for you". A message of living life in a good way can also be a praise to God.

14. Because God can be praised by a variety of things... so just because something doesn't make you say "praise God" doesn't mean it isn't a praise to him.

15. This is a good reason :)

16. What does it matter what their background is? Would you listen to them if they used to do drugs? If not, doesn't God forgive?

17. The style is not what we would be thinking in any style of music. So if the song speaks of good things, then we can think on it :)

*AQuietPlace* 11-17-2009 09:45 AM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfrog (Post 834924)

So if the song speaks of good things, then we can think on it :)

Yep.

That's the only criteria that the Bible gives us that would apply to music.

RandyWayne 11-17-2009 11:52 AM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Quote:

8. **Here is a personal one. Do the guy singers sound gay? LOL! (If they do, out the window it goes. UGH!)
Quote:

8. LOL, what exactly does gay sound like when a person is singing? And how can you tell the difference between a guy sounding gay while singing and a guy with a naturally high and not so masculine voice while singing?
I know there all there is to know.... about the crying game!

RandyWayne 11-17-2009 11:54 AM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
My own opinion (which in this case, is the correct one)

18. Any music with a tambourine is from satan himself.

Corollary:

Most UC's believe that any apostolic music MUST have a tambourine and that it is God's favorite instrument.

19. The sound of kids singing is usually an irritant

Exception:
During certain Pink Floyd songs or the last chorus of We Don't Need Another Hero by Tina Turner.

Corollary:

Most UC's feel that cute kids singing the classic kids songs is pure ambrosia for the ears.

dizzyde 11-17-2009 12:32 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by holinesspk (Post 834823)


Personally I view that music as ungodly, but let the Lord guide you there, not a bunch of goofy screen names on Apostate Fiends Forum. lol....

You may hit a different conclusion than all those brought up on here, I dunno. I doubt it, but just make sure to not let everyones opinions on here make that decision for you. Get your nose in the Word, and let the Lord guide you there.

Yes Jermyn, please let me know when you "get your nose in the Word" what scriptures you find to bolster holinesspk's argument...

Quote:

Originally Posted by holinesspk (Post 834842)
The Crabbs
The Gaithers
The Ruppes

:D



You know honestly I dont add all southern gospel, or black gospel or contemporary or anything into "christian". Some is, and some isnt. What genres are in my music collection? Oh goodness, lots. You could go fom Don Moen and Bob Fitts, to those horrid groups as mentioned above (lol), to Mississippi Mass Choir, to Jackson Masss Choir, to Mahalia Jackson, to Walt Mills, to Byron Cage, to SOME IBC (not all *shudder*), to Mark Condon, etc. I am more concerned with the music itself usually than who sings.

I have a filter for the music that goes into my collection. If somewhere along the way, this music gets stopped by a question in my personal filter, its thrown out. Here is my filter for music.

1. Is it mimicking the world?

2. Does it sound like the world?

2A. If the lyrics were taken away, could you tell if it was christian or not?

3. Who or what does it glorify?

4. Do the singers try to act like the world?

5. Do the singers make me cringe by their appearance and look like black sabbath or something?

6. Is the music pure?

7. Is the music straightforward (i.e. no hidden messaging)?

8. **Here is a personal one. Do the guy singers sound gay? LOL! (If they do, out the window it goes. UGH!)

9. Can I pray with this music playing?

10. More importantly can I break through to the Holy Ghost with this music playing?

11. Deep down, would I be embarrased and kinda turn down this music if the Lord walked in as it was playing?

12. Does this group playing the song also play worldly songs?

13. Does the message of the song bring praise to the Lord?

14. Does the music pump up my flesh with a beat or my soul with praise?

15. Does this music portray a message contrary to the doctrine I know to be true or the Gospel of Jesus Christ?

16. What is the background of the singer or group and does it bring glory to the Lord or not?

17. Does this song or CD or whatever pass the Philippians 4:8 test?



And that gives you an idea. That may not be all of my personal guidelines for music, but it is the general idea. Music is powerful and as such we need to have protections in place when dealing with music.

Look who first used music, who probably understands the power in music more than anyone else in the universe under the Lord Himself. Thats right, satan. The former leader of worship in Heaven. The angel who apparently had built in musical instruments. I would say that satan understands music and how to use it for his benefit. Thats why I am so careful about music. The Deciever uses music as a weapon against the people of God and as such we need to be careful of music because music is power.

It's amazing, when I go through your list of requirements, I have had far more worshipful moments, and true moments with God while listening to Tobymac, Switchfoot or Audio Adrenaline, than I EVER have had listening to Mark Condon...

Why can't you just accept that it is a personal issue that differs from person to person, as to what inspires or moves them? You know one of the most profound moments I have had in relationship to music was a few years ago, at a point when I wasn't very close to God. I had dropped my daughter off at school and was driving along listening to a secular radio station. A song came by the group Lifehouse. At that time I had no idea that they had any kind of Christian background, and I was sitting in the parking lot listening to the lyrics and I started to cry. The lyrics spoke to me so deeply on a spiritual level. I was talking to my daughter later about it and she said "MOM, they are Christian".

I know they probably wouldn't qualify as "Christian" in your book, but if anything that they are doing is glorifying God or ministering, why would you be afraid of that?

NewWine 11-17-2009 12:48 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadeye (Post 834870)
Music to slit your wrists by....

LOL....So says deadeye:ursofunny Thanks I needed the laugh got the blood flowing. (LOL...no pun intended).

*AQuietPlace* 11-17-2009 12:55 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
The one song that has had the most impact on my life was sung by Ray Stevens. Not one of his comedy ones, either.

dizzyde 11-17-2009 12:57 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by *AQuietPlace* (Post 835059)
The one song that has had the most impact on my life was sung by Ray Stevens. Not one of his comedy ones, either.

Glad you clarified that... had me worried for a minute. :ursofunny

*AQuietPlace* 11-17-2009 01:16 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzyde (Post 835065)
Glad you clarified that... had me worried for a minute. :ursofunny

;)

Apocrypha 11-17-2009 02:35 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by *AQuietPlace* (Post 835059)
The one song that has had the most impact on my life was sung by Ray Stevens. Not one of his comedy ones, either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgFjLB4VYSU

Praise the Lord

Timmy 11-17-2009 02:38 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by *AQuietPlace* (Post 835059)
The one song that has had the most impact on my life was sung by Ray Stevens. Not one of his comedy ones, either.

It's Me Again, Margaret?

The Streak?

Ahab the Arab?

RandyWayne 11-17-2009 02:38 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Erik the Awful


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.