View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

Re: Who was Harry Morse ?

The Azuza revival was not limited to one mission pastored by Seymour. It looks like 4 local missions shared the...revival.

One of them was pastored by Harry Morse after Frank Bartleman turned it over to him. It was one of only 2 pastorates Morse had. I am not sure he remained pastor there.

A week after the outpouring of the Holy Spirit at Azuza, San Francisco had it's infamous earthquake. A few months later, Seymour and his staff were invited by WF Mantley to hold a revival in Oakland.

This is the first post Azuza revival in Oakland. It was conducted in either the People's Mission or the Household of God. I have not figured that part out yet.

In 1915 Harry Morse brought a team to Oakland to start a church. Not unlike the team that Seymour had brought there 9 years earlier. During his time at Oakland, Morse had several of his Azuza friends preach at his church.

The connections to Azuza surprised me. I'm still learning about the connection between the Peniel Missions and Pentecostalism. The holiness movement also influenced pentecostalism. Getting a grasp on all this is a bit overwhelming.

Finding original documents and pictures is evasive. But I'm still working on it.