View Single Post
Old 04-24-2007, 08:51 PM
Some people could make a statue weep

Why Acts 2:38 Uses The Word “remission”

From the Garden of Eden to the “Even so, Come Lord Jesus” of Revelation’s last words, the Blood of sacrifice is the constant Testimony of God’s divine plan. As fallen man was clothed with skins of animals sacrificed by God Himself for such provision (Gen 3:21), so the blood of the Lamb was shed to clothe in the righteousness of God every member of mankind who would be obedient to the gospel (Acts 2:38). This is the song of those who make this covenant with God "by sacrifice." Thus God will gather to Himself "those who have made a covenant with Me by sacrifice" (Ps 50:5), and forever they shall sing the song of the redeemed: "To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own Blood . . . " (Rev 1:5) the covenant life is a steadfastly committed one.

1. God the Covenant Maker

"Covenant" First appears in the Bible with Noah.
Noah sacrifices to God, and we see the term "Covenant" appears as God covenants never to destroy creation by flood again.

The Events After the Flood, 8:20-9:29

(Gen 8:20 KJV) And Noah builded an altar unto the LORD; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.

2. Isaac, the Result of Covenant

God’s covenant gave Abraham a son, and covenant love provided a substitutionary sacrifice.

(Gen 22:13 KJV) And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son.

The ram offered as a substitute for Isaac illustrates the substitutionary sacrifice of the Lamb of God (John 1:29).

3. Circumcision’s Significance

Circumcision speaks of cutting away of fleshly dependence and placing hope for future prosperity in God.

(Gen 17:10 KJV) This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.

4. The First Blood Sacrifice Covenant

God originates the covenant bond; sacrifice is offered in a prescribed manner, and God performs administration of the oath.

(Gen 15:10 KJV) And he took unto him all these, and divided them in the midst, and laid each piece one against another: but the birds divided he not.

Divided them. i.e., cut them in two. The idea is this: May the same be done to the one who breaks this covenant (see Jer. 34:18-19).

5. No Blood, No Atonement

Life is in the blood. Apart from shedding of blood (giving of life), there was no atonement.

(Lev 17:11 KJV) For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

Two reasons are given for the command not to eat blood: the life of the body is derived from it, and it is the means by which atonement for sins is made (see also Gen. 9:4).

6. Developing the Importance of Blood Sacrifice

Sacrifice was a means of deliverance, sin offering, and consecrating act.

(Exo 12:13 KJV) And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt.

7. The Blood, Essential for Right Standing Before God

Right standing before a Covenant-making God is shown to be a matter of life and death, not merely a matter of one’s good efforts.

(Gen 4:1 KJV) And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.

(Gen 4:2 KJV) And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.

Abel means "breath" or "vanity," reflecting perhaps Eve’s understanding of the import of the curse (Rom. 8:20).

(Gen 4:3 KJV) And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD.

(Gen 4:4 KJV) And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering:
Heb. 11:4. fat was the richest part of the animal.

(Gen 4:5 KJV) But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.

(Gen 4:6 KJV) And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?

(Gen 4:7 KJV) If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

(Gen 4:8 KJV) And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.

(Gen 4:9 KJV) And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother’s keeper?

Cain’s response was an outright lie and showed indifference to the murder he had committed.

(Gen 4:10 KJV) And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother’s blood crieth unto me from the ground.

Gen 4:10 thy brother’s blood crieth unto me. i.e., for vengeance.

8. The Issue of Blood is Right Relationship.

God’s holiness required blood for cleansing, but right relationship is the ultimate goal of His Covenant.

(Isa 1:11 KJV) To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the LORD: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats.

(Heb 9:12 KJV) Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

Our Lord’s sacrifice was His own blood (not that of animals), offered once (not repeatedly), and resulted in eternal redemption (not temporal covering). by . . . by. Better, through . . . through.

9. The salvation process: Repent, Baptism, Holy Ghost--The New Birth Experience!

There is blood in Acts 2:38! It is the only NT remedy for sin.

10. The Blood, The Covering

Blood is the only God ordained covering for sin.

(Gen 3:21 KJV) Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.

The coats of skins were God’s provision for restoring Adam’s and Eve’s fellowship with Himself and imply slaying of an animal in order to provide them. Blood must be given in order for life to be retained. The sinless blood for the sinner.

11. God Inaugurates the New Covenant.

A new and eternal bond was established by the blood of Jesus

(Mat 26:28 KJV) For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

The new testament, or new covenant, is God’s new arrangement with men based on the death of Jesus Christ.

_