View Single Post
Old 11-16-2009, 11:18 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWine View Post
A-men I say to your list Holinessspk; I particularly like questions 3, 9, 10, and 11. Thank you for sharing that

I enjoy must and once had tons of music. But, I went through a time of spiritual house cleaning if you will; and I smashed tons of CDs. Some I had purchased just because I like one single song on the CD. I thought to myself, while only 1:12 songs is okay to listen to my money just supported 11 songs that are not okay to listen to. This may sound off-topic, but I believe that it has a lot to do with the topic of this thread/discussion. How many "Christian" singers say the name of Jesus in a song? How many "Christian" singers sing about the power in the name of Jesus? What about the blood? Now, I was listening to something some time ago and the person speaking made a statement was in answering the following question: What makes a song gospel? Their answer was that if it doesn't didn't mention the name or the blood it wasn't gospel.

There are some beats to music that I do not find appropriate for a Christian to listen to. I absolutely cringe when I hear "heavy-metal" and it is supposed to be a song that is uplifting God. That genre of music did not come from God, yet, some think it's okay. I would guesstimate that over 40% of the music a person bops to; is not because they are listening to the lyrics, but because the music (instruments) have evoked an emotion within them. I say ask yourself the question: What feelings do you have when listening to a song? How does your state of mind change?

For example: I love classical music, and was trained in classical violin. However, there are some classical songs that can take you from a happy state to a down right depression mood. Music is powerful and one must allow the Holy Ghost to lead and guide them or we can find ourselves taking in things that we are not even conscious of.
Music to slit your wrists by....