View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 09:57 AM
You used to call me Michlow

What did Jesus Come to Save us From?

This question has been on my mind this morning. So many Christians seem to focus on the Heaven/Hell, which seemingly implies that that was the sole mission of Jesus, to decide the location of our afterlife.

Do you believe that's what God intended? That used to be my focus back in my former days, I viewed everything through the lens of "Will this send me to hell? Will this help get me to heaven?" And all that led to was a relationship built on fear.

I can't help but think that's not supposed to be what it's about. I keep think of when Jesus quoted Isaiah (Luke 4),

" The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
and recovery of sight for the blind,
to set the oppressed free,
19 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor."

Now granted, I tend to lean towards Universal Reconciliation (or at the least I believe that there will be a judgement and correction, but the purpose will be rehabilitation, and the punishment won't be eternal) so I tend to not focus too strongly on the heaven/hell - plan of salvation - make sure you did all the proper steps - parts of religion. Still I thought it would make an interesting discussion.

Why do you think Jesus came? Was it to save us? Save us from what?
“There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting.”

― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables