View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Re: A Place for mothers with young children?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
Well - I guess I'm a little old-fashioned. But I have two children and both are in ministry today. By the time they were three, there were very few services that they were not able to sit quietly through. I didn't take snacks for them - but I did have "quiet" toys. If they began to be too loud with their 'quiet" toys, we made a trip to the bathroom for a little education applied to their seat of understanding. Upon returning, I didn't (or my husband - whichever took them out) return to our seat if it would be disruptive - we sat in the back. Children will live up or down to what is expected of them.
Me, too. I've never thought that it hurt them in any way to learn to sit quietly in church service. It was a necessity for ours, because we've always been on the platform playing music, and I really didn't like leaving them in a nursery out of my sight. Our girls were sitting on the front row by the time they were 2-3, and our boy made it by about 4. Most of the time they had a nanny or a grandparent watching them during worship. I can count on one hand the number of times they were kept in the nursery during worship service, and they were ALWAYS in service with us during the preaching. Usually they sat on one of our laps with a book or small toy. When our son was about 3, my husband started sitting him on the other end of the pew where he couldn't see me, and teaching him to sit still. It took him about a year to be completely successful and ready for the front pew(way longer than the girls), but he eventually got the idea.

The easiest way to teach them to sit still is to keep them on the bench with a book or a quiet toy, and if you do have to take them out--DON'T take them to the fun, toy-filled nursery. LOL!!!!!!

I wouldn't spank just for being squirmy--kids are kids.. I'm not much of a spanker, though, so that's probably not terribly relevant! We've managed to teach ours to sit still in church without spanking them--the key is consistency and patience. IMO, kids who haven't spent most of their church services in the nursery tend to make the transition a lot easier.

Quote:
There will be a few times that it becomes necessary to take them out of the service (extremely lengthy or visitors sitting nearby that they might be a distraction to them keeping their mind on the Word) - but for the most part - they CAN learn to sit quietly in church!

You can begin at home - playing church and having them sit quietly while you teach them a bible lesson (start with 5 - 10 minutes).
I think it's important for children to learn to be respectful and listen when a person in authority is speaking. However, if they are really small, a few breaks might be necessary--especially if the preacher is long winded. Worship service is a little different, because they can move around and even make noise without being too noticeable.

Our POV is that worship time IS family time. I strongly object to the idea that church attendance detracts from family time. Worshiping God together and learning about God's Word together are great family activities.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road