View Single Post
Old 02-24-2017, 02:57 PM
On the road less traveled

Re: Receiving The Holy Spirit & Speaking In Tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
KBTW made the point that tongues was not salvational, but only repentance and baptism where.
You need to rephrase your statement. I am not saying that... the BIBLE is saying that! I have shared scripture after scripture where faith/repentance/baptism were all linked to salvation. Not ONE scripture can link speaking in tongues to the salvation experience. Not one. Just to clarify that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
What I was really getting at, is that everything is salvational. We don't hang our salvation off of any isolated event or experience. I don't like to use the term salvational, but instead I would rather use the term Biblical. It will be Christ who delivers our soul from hell and it is Him that determines what is salvational. It should be our desire to obey His word and to seek everything that God has for us.

Many people's whole relationship with God is built upon the premise that they are not going to hell. As if that is the only thing that is important. Of course our eternity is important, but a relationship is not one sided. We enter a relationship with Christ, and we serve Him because of who he is and because He first loved us. Even if there wasn't an eternity we would still serve Him.

I may just be rambling on, but it seems like so many want to know the bare minimum. What is salvational? is their only interest. Jesus must be both Lord and Savior of our lives. I think the question itself reveals the hearts of so many. Thank God for the gospel and the command given in Acts 2:38, but we must continue on in our journey with God.
And I do agree that salvation is an experience... it has a beginning and an ending... it is a journey of a lifetime. But to get started on that journey, one has to take the first step... and that first step starts with faith/repentance/baptism... and after that the Lord is able to gift and empower with His spirit to enable us to continue the journey of salvation until the last day of our life, when that journey ends.

I agree that we can't just focus on only what is salvational. But... for the sinner coming to the Lord, that is where he is at, and that first step has to be taken... and after that first step... the Lord is able to empower him with the HG to continue to walk through this life, being saved day by day.