View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 01:11 PM
Banned

Re: More over-reacting to the "Light Doctrine"

I think the "light doctrine" is error. It actually makes the case that the more ignorant we are of the Gospel, the greater our chance of salvation by walking in what little light we know. I can't buy that.

I propose a different option for those who wish to believe that perhaps God might have mercy on some of those who do not know or understand the fullness of NT salvation. It's called "Sovereign Savior Doctrine". It affirms that God is sovereign and has all power and knowledge. Only He can have mercy on those sincere souls who didn't understand the fullness of truth. However, there are some requirements to this understanding:
- One must have demonstrated sincere repentance.
- One must have been water baptized, even if under the traditional formula. Only God knows the sincerity of their desire to be obedient.
- One must have received the Holy Spirit, or some supernatural experience relating to the Holy Spirit (stammering lips, tongues, "slain in the Spirit", interpretation, visions, prophesy, healing, miracles, etc.)
In essence, the person must have been sincerely obedient to the command to be water baptized and must have had a supernatural experience in the Holy Ghost. This position proposes that God might choose to be merciful to the sincere soul, even if the finer details of their being born again of water and spirit doesn't completely match up with our Apostolic understanding. However, both water and Spirit must be factors in their Christian experience.
Romans 9:15 (ESV)
For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”
Mark 9:38-39 (ESV)
38 John said to him, “Teacher, we saw someone casting out demons in your name, and we tried to stop him, because he was not following us.” 39 But Jesus said, “Do not stop him, for no one who does a mighty work in my name will be able soon afterward to speak evil of me."
John 3:5 (ESV)
Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
Luke 12:48 (ESV)
48 But the one who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, will receive a light beating. Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more.

Last edited by Aquila; 10-17-2017 at 01:18 PM.