View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 12:47 AM
Registered Member

covenent spouses, "divorce" leading to "remarriage

We have discussed this before, and it is hard to have edifying discussion.

The fornication "exception clause" is specifically not adultery, thus the strong case is made that it has a more specific reference involving unmarried / betrothals, similar to the questions around Joseph and Mary.

Overall, I suggest seeking out "marriage permanence" teaching. The real stuff. Old time Mennonite, and Holiness. Then compare with the more common, liberal, "your ok if you are not the guilty party, it is dissolved, move on, find a newbie" teaching of convenience, which can depart from the teaching of Jesus.

(Rule of thumb: the other side is the guilty party, or you can find ways to allow both sides to start with their new spouses.)

My belief is that the adulteration of the marriage covenant has led to a weakening of faith and the move of the Holy Spirit, and churches going downhill. Even the community I was involved in decided to "ok" a remarriage or two of an elder who had, before God, a living spouse, "divorced" only in the eyes of men. Awkward.

If you do not have a conviction, try to make sure you have gotten the best presentations from opposite sides. Be cautious about facile answers.

Then prayerfully reflect and consider.

Steven

Last edited by Steven Avery; 03-04-2019 at 01:30 AM.