View Single Post
Old 11-12-2016, 02:25 PM
On the road less traveled

Repentance after a Prophetic Word

I would like help to compile a list of those (in scripture) who heard a prophetic or word from God preached to them, and repented, and what the outcome was.

And I would also like a list of those who heard the word of God, and who refused to repent, and what the outcome was.

I've thought of two. There are many more. Please add any you think of.

In 1 Sam. 13 Samuel asked King Saul what he had done. Saul, knowing what he had done wrong, made excuses, and had no repentance. Because he did not repent, and admit his guilt, then judgment was poured out.
1 Sam. 13:11-14
11 And Samuel said, What hast thou done? And Saul said, Because I saw that the people were scattered from me, and that thou camest not within the days appointed, and that the Philistines gathered themselves together at Michmash;
12 Therefore said I, The Philistines will come down now upon me to Gilgal, and I have not made supplication unto the LORD: I forced myself therefore, and offered a burnt offering.
13 And Samuel said to Saul, Thou hast done foolishly: thou hast not kept the commandment of the LORD thy God, which he commanded thee: for now would the LORD have established thy kingdom upon Israel for ever.
14 But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the LORD hath sought him a man after his own heart, and the LORD hath commanded him to be captain over his people, because thou hast not kept that which the LORD commanded thee.
No sign of repentance from Saul, and his kingdom was taken away from him.

To contrast this:

King Ahab was a wicked and evil man.

1 Kings 21:25 But there was none like unto Ahab, which did sell himself to work wickedness in the sight of the LORD, whom Jezebel his wife stirred up.

These were Elijah's words to him:

1 Kings 21:19-21
19 And thou shalt speak unto him, saying, Thus saith the LORD, Hast thou killed, and also taken possession? And thou shalt speak unto him, saying, Thus saith the LORD, In the place where dogs licked the blood of Naboth shall dogs lick thy blood, even thine.
20 And Ahab said to Elijah, Hast thou found me, O mine enemy? And he answered, I have found thee: because thou hast sold thyself to work evil in the sight of the LORD.
21 Behold, I will bring evil upon thee, and will take away thy posterity, and will cut off from Ahab him that pisseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel,

Upon hearing these words, Ahab did something Saul did not do:

1 Kings 21:27-28
27 And it came to pass, when Ahab heard those words, that he rent his clothes, and put sackcloth upon his flesh, and fasted, and lay in sackcloth, and went softly.
28 And the word of the LORD came to Elijah the Tishbite, saying,

And listen to how the Lord responded to wicked Ahab's penitent heart:

1 Kings 21:29 Seest thou how Ahab humbleth himself before me? because he humbleth himself before me, I will not bring the evil in his days: but in his son's days will I bring the evil upon his house.

I know there are a lot more records that describe repentance, and whether the judgment of God came to pass, or not, depending on the repentant state of the heart.

Please share, and thoughts on this subject appreciated.