View Single Post
Old 07-27-2022, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

Re: History of Tithes in the Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
He clearly said he did that because the Corinthians were so carnal that they would otherwise complain about it. So he said he abrogated that right of his. Read the context.
Brother,
Paul was not accusing them of being carnal. Of course they were carnal! You are carnal. And believe it or not, I am carnal. But Paul wasn’t saying they were carnal, he was saying that HE was carnal. He needed food and drink, which are carnal needs. Pretty much opposite of accusing them of being carnal, he was admitting that he and Barnabus were carnal (they required food and drink).

Quote:
In verses 1-11 he said it was his right to receive income. In verse 12 he said BUT....
I use the KJV. I’m not sure which version you use but the KJV doesn’t mention income. It’s talking food and drink. Please advise or just copy and paste.

Quote:
1 Corinthians 9:12
(12).. If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ.
Absolutely! Paul was concerned that he would hinder the gospel, so he didn’t require them to feed him.

Brother Blume, are you at all concerned that you may be hindering the gospel by accepting tithes? Paul was.

And Paul was an apostle remember. Even the IRS recognizes that living out of town (as an apostle would necessarily do) is expensive. Have you ever studied Paul’s missionary journeys? That brother was traveling.

Quote:
He said that they would have hindered the gospel and complained about him seeking money alone, just like this thread seems to be repeating by those who feel a minister should not live of the gospel as Paul clearly taught.
Once again, I don’t see one mention of money in this passage. Is it possible that you see money when the Bible clearly says food and drink?

Quote:
It is not about apostles only. Look at the context:

1 Corinthians 9:14
(14).. Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.
Am I not an apostle? Read the first verse. It’s about apostles. The passage in Acts clearly is about elders which includes pastors.

They who preach the gospel.[/QUOTE]

This thread is about tithes. But allow me to ask a question. Is Brother Coksiw wrong for preaching the gospel free of charge?

That’s what Paul was doing.