Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 04-07-2021, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

Prayer Language

When did the Holy Ghost and speaking in tongues become a "prayer language"? Has it become more common that one's "prayer language" has taken over a genuine baptism with the Holy Ghost?
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

Re: Prayer Language

The main purpose the Bible gives to tongues is prayer. Praying in tongues is every bit as valid as tongues that follow the baptism.
Old 04-07-2021, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
The main purpose the Bible gives to tongues is prayer. Praying in tongues is every bit as valid as tongues that follow the baptism.
Alright. That is valid, but maybe I should be a little more specific in what I mean by "prayer language"?

It seems very common among these bigger, non-denominational churches today to have people praying in what is called a prayer language. There is next to no teaching on the baptism with the Spirit, but tongues is almost like a fad and when someone starts speaking in tongues, that person is said to have "received a prayer language" instead of Spirit baptism.

Has this theology deluded the effect of the baptism with the Holy Ghost as a whole?
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Flame View Post
When did the Holy Ghost and speaking in tongues become a "prayer language"? Has it become more common that one's "prayer language" has taken over a genuine baptism with the Holy Ghost?
When speaking with other tongues as the Spirit gave utterance was no longer considered to be the only Biblical indication someone had received the Holy Spirit.

If a person believes you have received the Holy Spirit without speaking with other tongues as the Spirit gives utterance, then if and when someone does start speaking with other tongues as the Spirit gives utterance, it has to mean something else, otherwise the person who believes you have received the Holy Spirit without speaking with other tongues as the Spirit gives utterance, hasn't received the Holy Spirit.

Nice little circle folks have drawn around themselves.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 04-09-2021, 07:15 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
When speaking with other tongues as the Spirit gave utterance was no longer considered to be the only Biblical indication someone had received the Holy Spirit.

If a person believes you have received the Holy Spirit without speaking with other tongues as the Spirit gives utterance, then if and when someone does start speaking with other tongues as the Spirit gives utterance, it has to mean something else, otherwise the person who believes you have received the Holy Spirit without speaking with other tongues as the Spirit gives utterance, hasn't received the Holy Spirit.

Nice little circle folks have drawn around themselves.
So basically around the birth of the modern-day Charismatic movement?

Charismatics have never saw tongues as being a necessity for baptism with the Holy Ghost. That was a fundamental doctrine that they did not bring over from traditional Pentecostalism, along with holiness and separation.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

I believe there is a genuine practice of speaking in tongues but after almost 30 years in and around every facet of UPC, oneness apostolic churches I concluded that about 90% was conjured up emotion usually brought on with a lot of loud driven music.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnman View Post
I believe there is a genuine practice of speaking in tongues but after almost 30 years in and around every facet of UPC, oneness apostolic churches I concluded that about 90% was conjured up emotion usually brought on with a lot of loud driven music.
I tend to agree. As did Paul. Preachers want to speak in tongues as a means to impress, or so it seems. They routinely do so without any expectation of an interpretation. Paul has this to say . . .

“He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.”

I think a lot of preachers speak in tongues during their message solely for their own edification.

“ I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.”

There’s a lot of tongues spoken with zero interpretation. It has become an expected event. There is often no expectation of being understood.

“So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.”

Is it better to speak in an unknown language (when speaking to the church) or would we be better off speaking in a plain, easily understood language? Paul has this to say . . .

[18] I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:
[19] Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

Paul told them that he spoke in tongues more than all of them. It makes me wonder, why did he have to tell them? Because he was speaking in tongues when he was praying alone, perhaps?

Speaking in tongues is coveted more than receiving the Holy Ghost in many cases. The evidence of the Gift is sought more fervently than the Gift. It’s a small wonder that some charismatic churches teach classes in how to speak in tongues, and stage messages in tongues and interpretation. I likely could leave out the word “charismatic” in the sentence above and just put churches instead, because I’ve noticed many Apostolic and or Pentecostal churches doing the same.

My opinion is that tongues should be evidence of, or the result of, the Spirit. It should not be the tongues that are sought. The Spirit is actually what is uttering the words (as the Spirit gave them utterance).

During preaching, when we are delivering a message, we should refrain from speaking in tongues unless there is interpretation forthcoming. Tongues in this context serve no purpose.