Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Michael Phelps's Avatar
Michael Phelps Michael Phelps is offline
Rebel with a cause.


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 6,813
Texas Bar vs. Texas Church

TEXAS BEER JOINT SUES LOCAL CHURCH OVER LIGHTNING STRIKE!

(This should keep you chuckling for awhile)
A bar called Drummond's (in Mt Vernon, Texas ) began construction on an expansion of their building, hoping to "grow" their business.
In response, the local Southern Baptist Church started a campaign to block the bar from expanding - petitions, prayers, etc.
About a week before the bar's grand re-opening, a bolt of lightning struck the bar and burned it to the ground!
Afterward, the church folks were rather smug - bragging about "the power of prayer".
The angry bar owner eventually sued the church on grounds that the church... "Was ultimately responsible for the demise of his building, through direct actions or indirect means."
Of course, the church vehemently denied all responsibility or any connection to the building's demise.
The judge read carefully through the plaintiff's complaint and the defendant's reply.
He then opened the hearing by saying:
"I don't know how I'm going to decide this, but it appears from the paperwork that what we have here is a bar owner who now believes in the power of prayer, and an entire church congregation that does not."

Not sure if this is a true story, but does pose an interesting dilemma!!
__________________
"Many people view their relationship with God like a "color by number" picture. It's easier to let someone else define the boundaries, tell them which blanks to fill in, and what color to use than it is for them to take a blank canvas and seek inspiration from the Source in order to paint their own masterpiece"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Cindy's Avatar
Cindy Cindy is offline
Forever Loved Admin


 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 26,537
Re: Texas Bar vs. Texas Church

Mt. Vernon is not too far from here. BTW, the bar lost.
__________________
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Dedicated Mind Dedicated Mind is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,711
Re: Texas Bar vs. Texas Church

great story.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Michael Phelps's Avatar
Michael Phelps Michael Phelps is offline
Rebel with a cause.


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 6,813
Re: Texas Bar vs. Texas Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
Mt. Vernon is not too far from here. BTW, the bar lost.
I'm not sure that was the right verdict!
__________________
"Many people view their relationship with God like a "color by number" picture. It's easier to let someone else define the boundaries, tell them which blanks to fill in, and what color to use than it is for them to take a blank canvas and seek inspiration from the Source in order to paint their own masterpiece"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Cindy's Avatar
Cindy Cindy is offline
Forever Loved Admin


 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 26,537
Re: Texas Bar vs. Texas Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Phelps View Post
I'm not sure that was the right verdict!
We get a lot of lightning around here.
__________________
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Pressing-On's Avatar
Pressing-On Pressing-On is offline
Not riding the train


 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 48,430
Re: Texas Bar vs. Texas Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Phelps View Post
TEXAS BEER JOINT SUES LOCAL CHURCH OVER LIGHTNING STRIKE!

(This should keep you chuckling for awhile)
A bar called Drummond's (in Mt Vernon, Texas ) began construction on an expansion of their building, hoping to "grow" their business.
In response, the local Southern Baptist Church started a campaign to block the bar from expanding - petitions, prayers, etc.
About a week before the bar's grand re-opening, a bolt of lightning struck the bar and burned it to the ground!
Afterward, the church folks were rather smug - bragging about "the power of prayer".
The angry bar owner eventually sued the church on grounds that the church... "Was ultimately responsible for the demise of his building, through direct actions or indirect means."
Of course, the church vehemently denied all responsibility or any connection to the building's demise.
The judge read carefully through the plaintiff's complaint and the defendant's reply.
He then opened the hearing by saying:
"I don't know how I'm going to decide this, but it appears from the paperwork that what we have here is a bar owner who now believes in the power of prayer, and an entire church congregation that does not."

Not sure if this is a true story, but does pose an interesting dilemma!!

Total dilemma! LOL! If the church were found to be guilty, the court is admitting there is a God. The ACLU will choke on that one.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Cindy's Avatar
Cindy Cindy is offline
Forever Loved Admin


 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 26,537
Re: Texas Bar vs. Texas Church

That isn't the a true account of the lawsuit. Good grief.
__________________
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Pressing-On's Avatar
Pressing-On Pressing-On is offline
Not riding the train


 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 48,430
Re: Texas Bar vs. Texas Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
That isn't the a true account of the lawsuit. Good grief.
According to Snopes, it's not really a true story. When MP posted the info, I kept thinking I had heard that story before and wondered if it was old. It seems that it is.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Jay's Avatar
Jay Jay is offline
Apostolic Pentecostal


 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 3,417
Re: Texas Bar vs. Texas Church

That was just funny! I have heard such stories before, and some of them are true.
__________________
I am an Apostolic Pentecostal. Apostolic in teaching, and Pentecostal in experience.

Visit me at www.jonathandtalbot.blogspot.com.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Cindy's Avatar
Cindy Cindy is offline
Forever Loved Admin


 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 26,537
Re: Texas Bar vs. Texas Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
According to Snopes, it's not really a true story. When MP posted the info, I kept thinking I had heard that story before and wondered if it was old. It seems that it is.
There was a lawsuit, but it was about zoning laws not the joke in Mike's account.
__________________
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Texas Baptist Church Sued After Bar Burns... jediwill83 Fellowship Hall 8 04-12-2011 02:23 PM
Only In Texas Digging4Truth Fellowship Hall 14 10-29-2010 11:06 PM
Texas Beer Joint Sues Church Sam Fellowship Hall 15 10-12-2010 05:09 PM
Texas High Court: Church not liable for exorcism SDG The D.A.'s Office 4 06-30-2008 04:34 PM
Has anyone Heard of an AMF church in Texas...... Thad Fellowship Hall 8 03-12-2007 09:13 PM

 
User Infomation
Your Avatar

Latest Threads
- by Salome
- by coksiw
- by coksiw
- by james34
- by coksiw

Help Support AFF!

Advertisement




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.