Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

Goss: he was rebaptized but disliked rebaptisms?

I have found many references saying that in 1915 Goss was rebaptized in Jesus name. However, in Fudge's book on page 66 it makes the case that Goss issued a statement discouraging rebaptism and urging everyone to be baptized under any formula they desired. In the next paragraph it says he did not oppose the following rulings of the Third General Council in 1915: 1. that baptismal formula did not affect the validity of the baptism. 2. that necessity of Christian rebaptism ought not to be preached or practiced. (They went to 5 but the first 2 were the most noteworthy for this discussion).

A source is given for Goss issuing that statement (although I do not possess the source) but a source is not given for Goss agreeing with the Third General Council. Something seems fishy because I have a hard time reconciling a man being rebaptized within the same year as he was agreeing with those statements and discouraging rebaptism. Thoughts?
Old 03-29-2011, 06:59 PM
Apostolic Pentecostal

Re: Goss: he was rebaptized but disliked rebaptism

I am planning on buying a biography about Bro. Goss. As far as I can tell though, he did not have a problem re-baptizing people in the name of Jesus. In The Winds of God, he speaks about his re-baptism and that of many others such as Bro. G.T. Haywood, E.N. Bell, and many others. I do believe that he supported a compromise version of the baptismal formula at the counsel, although I would appreciate not being held on that.

Visit me at www.jonathandtalbot.blogspot.com.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I am planning on buying a biography about Bro. Goss. As far as I can tell though, he did not have a problem re-baptizing people in the name of Jesus. In The Winds of God, he speaks about his re-baptism and that of many others such as Bro. G.T. Haywood, E.N. Bell, and many others. I do believe that he supported a compromise version of the baptismal formula at the counsel, although I would appreciate not being held on that.
To me the issue isn't as much about Goss but more about Goss's portrayl in Fudge's book. It just don't seem to add up in this case and it makes me wonder about the rest of the book.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:14 PM
Apostolic Pentecostal

Can you tell me what the name of the book is? I am thinking about buying one that I noticed came out a short time ago. Is that the book you are speaking about?

Old 03-29-2011, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Can you tell me what the name of the book is? I am thinking about buying one that I noticed came out a short time ago. Is that the book you are speaking about?
Christianity Without the Cross
Old 03-29-2011, 07:18 PM
Apostolic Pentecostal

I have heard about it. There are many major flaws in the premise of the book. I have read some of the responses to it, and I do believe that there are flaws. I have not read it, but I do intend to one day.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I have heard about it. There are many major flaws in the premise of the book. I have read some of the responses to it, and I do believe that there are flaws. I have not read it, but I do intend to one day.
How do you know if there are major flaws if you haven't read it?
Old 03-29-2011, 07:42 PM
Apostolic Pentecostal

One, I read a little of what the man had to say, unfortunately it was more a summary of the book. I also read reviews by a number of other men, not all of them were Pentecostal and read what they had to say about the content of the book. I do intend to read it for myself.

After I do so, not for nearly two weeks perhaps until I can buy it, I may write a review to post up here.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
I think you are mistaken. The Winds of God is a history of Pentecost up until the establishment of the Assemblies of God organization and does not go beyond that to the "new issue" and split.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
One, I read a little of what the man had to say, unfortunately it was more a summary of the book. I also read reviews by a number of other men, not all of them were Pentecostal and read what they had to say about the content of the book. I do intend to read it for myself.

After I do so, not for nearly two weeks perhaps until I can buy it, I may write a review to post up here.
Christianity Without the Cross is available as a pdf file.
I can send you a copy by email if you wish.