Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

Re: Slain in the Spirit

kclee4jc...You sure you have the truth???????
Old 11-26-2013, 12:02 PM
Repent and believe the Gospel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclee4jc View Post
I did not say that nor insinuate that. Just an observation of the difference of experience in the two circles. I saw many genuine moves of God in Charismatic/Trinitarian Pentecostal churches before I came to truth. I believe each move and experience was a stepping stone leading me to Truth.
You have the truth as you understand it. My Baptist Granny has the truth as she understands it.

Scripture is its own interpreter. Nothing can cut a diamond but a diamond. Nothing can interpret Scripture but Scripture" Thomas Watson.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I am fully convinced that the Oneness of God, Acts 2:38 salvation/ new birth experience, and Holy living are absolute and essential doctrines of the New Testament Church.
And I respect your convictions about Acts 2:38 being the plan of Salvation.

I agree with living a life separate from the world.

Scripture is its own interpreter. Nothing can cut a diamond but a diamond. Nothing can interpret Scripture but Scripture" Thomas Watson.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:11 PM

I have never had it happen to me. I have seen it happen to kids right after they get the Holy Ghost.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

I intend absolutely no disrespect to those who posted your experiences on this thread. I'm withdrawing my posts because I am weary of the inability to discuss anything here without the truth being challenged.

Have a great day.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWSS1976 View Post
It happens pretty often in our AOG church, I myself cant speak for anyone else but I have a hard time believing in the whole falling out thing...I have a hard time accepting extra biblical church stuff...
For the most part I believe it is the result of a self belief that it has to happen and the person praying for you pushing you backwards.

However I also believe there are genuine instances where it's real. I've had it happen to me personally the first time I spoke in tongues. What had happened was I was lost in a trance essentially. I just felt like I was in a different location sort of like an out of body experience. But I believe these sort of events are rarer than we are led to believe. Pentecostals tend to be performance oriented, believing and being led to believe "Something has to happen" that sometimes we end up manufacturing things. We do it with emotionalism and music.

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:21 PM
friendly to the sinners

Quote:
I intend absolutely no disrespect to those who posted your experiences on this thread. I'm withdrawing my posts because I am weary of the inability to discuss anything here without the truth being challenged.

Have a great day.
Little sensitive?
Old 11-26-2013, 12:23 PM
friendly to the sinners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
For the most part I believe it is the result of a self belief that it has to happen and the person praying for you pushing you backwards.

However I also believe there are genuine instances where it's real. I've had it happen to me personally the first time I spoke in tongues. What had happened was I was lost in a trance essentially. I just felt like I was in a different location sort of like an out of body experience. But I believe these sort of events are rarer than we are led to believe. Pentecostals tend to be performance oriented, believing and being led to believe "Something has to happen" that sometimes we end up manufacturing things. We do it with emotionalism and music.
Agree. I think we got to be careful not to follow after or always look for signs and wonders. Signs and wonders should follow the believers; be a product of our interaction with the Spirit of God.

Last edited by endtimer; 11-26-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post

I have been drunk in the Spirit just one time and that was at the Azusa street celebration in 2006.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by endtimer View Post
Agree. I think we got to be careful not to follow after or always look for signs and wonders. Signs and wonders should follow the believers; be a product of our interaction with the Spirit of God.
and to quote prax... "For the most part I believe it is the result of a self belief..."

If we belong to a church that deems tongues as necessary, then certainly the unsaved will tarry for such a sign as we all expect and demand that 'proof' that they've been saved. I remember a group of us praying for a young man years ago that had the Holy Ghost all over him, for lack of better terms. He was trembling, crying, and had stammering lips. He would get tired and take a break and ask us if he had it yet. The pastor and leaders at the time were reluctant to give him a definitive answer, so he would go back to fervent prayer. He was looking for a sign that i'm not sure ever came for him. He was looking for that sign because man had convinced him it was necessary. How sad would it be if he got frustrated and gave up although according to many scriptures, he was saved.

I've never been slain, but I don't doubt it could happen.