Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:09 PM
Don't ask.

When God speaks

People have said, so many times, "God told me...." or "I have a word from the Lord...". OK. Maybe, maybe not. Some of these messages are bogus. I think we can all agree on that. But how does one sort them out?

If I think I'm hearing from God, how can I tell if it's really from God or not? If someone tells me they have a word from God for me, how can I tell if it's really from God or not?
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 08-28-2008, 11:55 AM
Don't ask.

Re: When God speaks

A little help?

Why am I not surprised?
Old 08-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Mr. Stewart

I am of the opinion that the safest place to hear from God is in the Word of God. Too many people are neglecting His Living Word and searching for His voice and His will in a number of other places. I believe that His Word is alive and will speak to you and often confirm or refute the other "sources" out there. Always use your time of meditating on His Word as the starting point.

Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
My Countdown Counting down to: The Apocolypse
Old 08-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Beautiful are the feet......

1Cr 14:29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.
1Cr 14:30 If [any thing] be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.
1Cr 14:31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.
1Cr 14:32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.
1Cr 14:33 For God is not [the author] of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

I think these scriptures indicate that prophecies or other "words from the Lord" are to be judged. If it is from God, you will know it deep inside your spirit!
Old 08-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstew View Post
I am of the opinion that the safest place to hear from God is in the Word of God. Too many people are neglecting His Living Word and searching for His voice and His will in a number of other places. I believe that His Word is alive and will speak to you and often confirm or refute the other "sources" out there. Always use your time of meditating on His Word as the starting point.
Do you think God ever does speak specifically to individuals, today?

Why am I not surprised?
Old 08-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianoman View Post
1Cr 14:29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.
1Cr 14:30 If [any thing] be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.
1Cr 14:31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.
1Cr 14:32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.
1Cr 14:33 For God is not [the author] of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

I think these scriptures indicate that prophecies or other "words from the Lord" are to be judged. If it is from God, you will know it deep inside your spirit!
Might work for you, and for me, but what about those other guys? The ones that tell you "God told me to tell you...."? I bet they'd say yes, they know it deep inside that it was God. But the message still may be dubious. Do we leave it up to the recipient to accept it or reject it? But that'd be just as shaky.

A quandary!

Why am I not surprised?
Old 08-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Mr. Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Do you think God ever does speak specifically to individuals, today?
Yes, He does. I can say that with confidence because He speaks to me all the time. I try to be sure that He has spoken to me eberytime I preach. However, my point is that much of the time that He does speak to me it is in conjunction with me reading and meditating on His Word. As a church we are getting further away from reliance on and meditation of His Word. It is so much more than written, lifeless words and it will produce in your life like nothing else can.

Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
My Countdown Counting down to: The Apocolypse
Old 08-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Beautiful are the feet......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Might work for you, and for me, but what about those other guys? The ones that tell you "God told me to tell you...."? I bet they'd say yes, they know it deep inside that it was God. But the message still may be dubious. Do we leave it up to the recipient to accept it or reject it? But that'd be just as shaky.

A quandary!
I went to someone ONCE and said what I believed that God was telling me. The person was polite, but told me that they didn't believe the word applied to them! I guess my antenna was broke!

I was so embarrassed, that I've never done it again!
Old 08-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Strange in a Strange Land...

Line it up against the word. When I get what I believe is a word for someone if any part of it goes against what I feel the word says I don't give that word. That is how I roll with it.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Strange in a Strange Land...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianoman View Post
I went to someone ONCE and said what I believed that God was telling me. The person was polite, but told me that they didn't believe the word applied to them! I guess my antenna was broke!

I was so embarrassed, that I've never done it again!
I know of a similar situation where a man used his prophetic gift to peg my brother-in-law and former sis-in-law. Well after the service they both said that the man was wrong. Well less than two years later they broke up and everything, but the interesting thing is that the character traits this person told about became what their traits were after the break up. Might be that they became what they feared the most...what God had at least supposedly told them.