Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

News about the dangers of drinking diet soda

"Coca-Cola (KO -1.48%) and PepsiCo (PEP -0.64%), which have been battling declines in per-capita soda consumption for years, have counted on zero- or low-calorie alternatives to take up the slack. But with a new study raising questions about the health effects of diet soda, that's going to prove tougher.

Ingesting "fake sugar" results in the body's not knowing how to process the real thing and can lead to weight gain, diabetes and heart disease, among other problems, according to researchers at Purdue University, who reviewed 40 years of research on the subject."

http://money.msn.com/now/post--a-new...iet-soda-sales
Old 07-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

Re: News about the dangers of drinking diet soda

No diet for me!
Old 07-16-2013, 09:46 PM
On the road less traveled

Now it seems that the diet stuff is actually worse for you than the sugar.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
Now it seems that the diet stuff is actually worse for you than the sugar.
YesnI have heard that for years.

And if you have family that works in the funeral business they will tell you someone that consumes a lot of diet drinks starts preserving their bodies early. And not in a good way.
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charnock View Post
"Coca-Cola (KO -1.48%) and PepsiCo (PEP -0.64%), which have been battling declines in per-capita soda consumption for years, have counted on zero- or low-calorie alternatives to take up the slack. But with a new study raising questions about the health effects of diet soda, that's going to prove tougher.

Ingesting "fake sugar" results in the body's not knowing how to process the real thing and can lead to weight gain, diabetes and heart disease, among other problems, according to researchers at Purdue University, who reviewed 40 years of research on the subject."

BAD BAD timing Charnock. Had just opened a Coke Zero and was pouring it in my glass when I noticed your post! Now what do I do? You want to really know? I drank it, allllllll of it! I'll do better tomorrow! Promise.

Been Thinkin

LIFE: Some days you're the dog and some days you're the hydrant!

I have ... Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia! The fear of long words.

"Prediction is very hard, especially about the future." - Yogi Berra

"I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave in reflection." - Thomas Paine
Old 07-17-2013, 12:14 AM
Isaiah 56:4-5

I love Bloke Coke.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThinkin View Post
BAD BAD timing Charnock. Had just opened a Coke Zero and was pouring it in my glass when I noticed your post! Now what do I do? You want to really know? I drank it, allllllll of it! I'll do better tomorrow! Promise.

Been Thinkin
AHHHHH..just get a REGULAR COKE! If you are gonna die...might as well die HAPPY! LOL!

I prefer Dr. Pepper myself...

This reminds me years ago of nearly EVERYTHING gave you cancer!

I just figured that if I get it, I get it. Pretty soon the air you breathe is going to give you cancer...which the smoke in some cities I would not doubt do that already!
Old 07-17-2013, 09:19 AM
On the road less traveled

Most researchers will acknowledge that cancer cells thrive on sugar, and die when they are starved of sugar. Unfortunately, sugar is in almost every single thing we eat, including vegetables. Limiting the sugar in your diet most likely will go a long way towards helping you stay healthier. Feeding your body a diet of sugar poison is like dying a slow death.

Our family gave up sugared drinks a long time ago, as well as most processed foods. I'm still trying to get my husband to give up his sweet Southern tea, with not much luck, but he has given up the cokes.

I had been using Splenda for several years, trying to lose some weight, and it seemed I kept gaining weight.

About two months ago, I stopped using Splenda and started using stevia, and have eliminated a lot of the sugar from my diet. Amazingly, I have begun to lose weight again, and the pounds just seem to be dropping off without me doing much else other than cut out the sugar. I think it is a remarkable thing. It has made me a believer that too much sugar really is like a poison to our bodies.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:03 AM
Rebel with a cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charnock View Post

www.hungryforchange.tv
"Many people view their relationship with God like a "color by number" picture. It's easier to let someone else define the boundaries, tell them which blanks to fill in, and what color to use than it is for them to take a blank canvas and seek inspiration from the Source in order to paint their own masterpiece"
Old 07-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Our kids rarely have pop, but if they do, it's regular. Better to have the occasional real sugar than chemicals every day!

My personal favorite has been Diet Pepsi or Pepsi max, but I stopped drinking them regularly last year. The last few months, my go-to has been club soda with lime. Usually it's the fizz I'm really after, so that usually satisfies me. I do still have the occasional Diet Pepsi, though.

As far as regular sodas go for me, I avoid them altogether. I can't drink sugary drinks--they make me sick and make my heart race. No idea why. (Same thing happens if I have a large snow-cone with the sugary syrup.)

Bottom line, I agree that we're better off choosing foods and drinks that are as close to the natural state as possible, and avoid putting chemicals in our bodies. However, I don't want my kids drinking lots of sugary drinks either, because that's also very unhealthy. I hope these reports don't cause the pendulum to swing back in the other direction.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road