Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-25-2022, 04:03 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Re: Are Tongues Real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by james34 View Post

He did not say your ability to hear was shed forth by the spirit of God, but rather the words you hear spoken were made possible by the shedding forth of the spirit of God.

^^^^THIS^^^

So you are saying that they heard words which they understood where they were born?

OK.

Last edited by Evang.Benincasa; 10-25-2022 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-25-2022, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
So you are saying that they heard words which they understood where they were born?

OK.

I’m saying the gift of tongues was prophesied . Joel, Isaiah 28, etc. I’ve never heard of a hearing gift, where you could understand a foreign language as your ears translate the language. Lol. It seems very sketchy that anyone would accept the “miracle hearing”, seeing this would mean the gift was manifested through the unbeliever.
Old 10-26-2022, 06:28 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
I’m saying the gift of tongues was prophesied . Joel, Isaiah 28, etc. I’ve never heard of a hearing gift, where you could understand a foreign language as your ears translate the language. Lol. It seems very sketchy that anyone would accept the “miracle hearing”, seeing this would mean the gift was manifested through the unbeliever.
In Acts 2 there are two groups, one was mentioned in Acts 2:5 "And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven." and the second is found in Acts 2:13 "Others mocking said, 'They are full of new wine.'" We can see the first group were believers since they're labeled devout.

Anyway, when you speak in tongues is it a known language?
Old 10-26-2022, 06:48 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
In Acts 2 there are two groups, one was mentioned in Acts 2:5 "And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven." and the second is found in Acts 2:13 "Others mocking said, 'They are full of new wine.'" We can see the first group were believers since they're labeled devout.

Anyway, when you speak in tongues is it a known language?
Idk. Maybe if the right person heard me, maybe if someone had the miracle ear gift. ( but to need a miracle ear gift to understand what is supposed to be a “gift of tongues”, doesn’t make sense anyway) My experience can’t make doctrine.
The tongues on public display in the Bible were understood.
Old 10-26-2022, 07:17 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Idk. Maybe if the right person heard me, maybe if someone had the miracle ear gift. ( but to need a miracle ear gift to understand what is supposed to be a “gift of tongues”, doesn’t make sense anyway) My experience can’t make doctrine.
The tongues on public display in the Bible were understood.
So you don't have the tongues like we find in the Bible?

OK.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
So you don't have the tongues like we find in the Bible?

OK.
I think you dont
Old 10-27-2022, 03:50 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
I think you dont
You think I don't, what?
Old 10-27-2022, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
You think I don't, what?
Have tongues the way it was in the bible
Old 10-28-2022, 06:36 AM
Registered Member

Tongues are for a sign ,”not to them who believe, but to the unbeliever.
For tongues to have any impact on an unbeliever the tongue must be interpreted. Why? Because a tongue that can’t be understood has no meaning to Anyone besides the speaker. It doesn’t matter how we label the tongue( gift, evidence, tongues of men, tongues of angels) If it can’t be understood it it meaningless. Yet all of Pentecost is carried away by an unverifiable utterance. If words come out of your mouth and they can’t be understood, no one will be edified. Pentecostal churches are the only place where someone can utter unintelligible words and those around are so sure its a God thing, and why? Because they have all agreed that these tongues proves to us Gods presence, and that this is proof we have the Spirit. They even call it evidence. There is no way anyone on the day of Pentecost would have been impressed/amazed or “marvelled” at someone speaking a language they couldn’t understand. But todays churches are built on and around being excited about these unknown utterances. It’s just baffling , common sense is thrown out the window so people can feel accepted and be considered spiritual. If this( an unintelligible utterance) is the evidence that I provide to someone, that God has filled me with his Spirit, then we are lacking in any substantial evidence. Be amazed if you want to , I pass.

Last edited by james34; 10-28-2022 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-28-2022, 08:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Tongues are for a sign ,”not to them who believe, but to the unbeliever.
For tongues to have any impact on an unbeliever the tongue must be interpreted. Why? Because a tongue that can’t be understood has no meaning to Anyone besides the speaker. It doesn’t matter how we label the tongue( gift, evidence, tongues of men, tongues of angels) If it can’t be understood it it meaningless. Yet all of Pentecost is carried away by an unverifiable utterance. If words come out of your mouth and they can’t be understood, no one will be edified. Pentecostal churches are the only place where someone can utter unintelligible words and those around are so sure its a God thing, and why? Because they have all agreed that these tongues proves to us Gods presence, and that this is proof we have the Spirit. They even call it evidence. There is no way anyone on the day of Pentecost would have been impressed/amazed or “marvelled” at someone speaking a language they couldn’t understand. But todays churches are built on and around being excited about these unknown utterances. It’s just baffling , common sense is thrown out the window so people can feel accepted and be considered spiritual. If this( an unintelligible utterance) is the evidence that I provide to someone, that God has filled me with his Spirit, then we are lacking in any substantial evidence. Be amazed if you want to , I pass.

I am confused ???

Are you now saying that the church should not expect to now speak in tongues?

Interpretation does not have to be present every time someone is baptized with Spirit. Holy Ghost filled saints should seek to prophesy in the church rather than just seek to speak in tongues, but we still do not forbid to speak in tongues.