Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 03-14-2012, 12:40 PM
All Because Jesus...

Brokered Convention? Good Thing?

Even though there are numerous threads regarding the Republican Nominee, I didn't want to hijack any of them.

If one were to listen closely to Newt last night and the past couple of days, it would appear there is a new strategy, and frankly one that I think I like. That he as well as Santorum stay in the race, and be able to peel off enough delegates that Romney doesn't get a clear simple majority.

This would create the need for a real convention to happen, and some wheeling and dealing to go on, and just maybe, the Republicans not be stuck with Romney as the choice.

This presents some questions... if a new person came onto the scene as the nominee, and wasn't one of the current candidates, is there such a person that would be able to unite the whole thing and really run away with it?

Even if we go with one of the present candidates, which I think is the best scenario, does America understand a brokered convention enough that it doesn't allow the media to present it as a negative thing? Is it possible that a brokered convention, though not a bad thing at all, could be painted by the media as a such a bad thing that it becomes a black eye for us running against Obama?

I'm for Santorum, I want him to win... and I want him to beat Obama... I think the key to that will be a strong VP candidate, like Allen West... but that will have to happen in a convention.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:42 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Re: Brokered Convention? Good Thing?

I'm cool with Allen West too!!

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 03-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Strange in a Strange Land...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro. Robbins View Post
Even though there are numerous threads regarding the Republican Nominee, I didn't want to hijack any of them.

If one were to listen closely to Newt last night and the past couple of days, it would appear there is a new strategy, and frankly one that I think I like. That he as well as Santorum stay in the race, and be able to peel off enough delegates that Romney doesn't get a clear simple majority.

This would create the need for a real convention to happen, and some wheeling and dealing to go on, and just maybe, the Republicans not be stuck with Romney as the choice.

This presents some questions... if a new person came onto the scene as the nominee, and wasn't one of the current candidates, is there such a person that would be able to unite the whole thing and really run away with it?

Even if we go with one of the present candidates, which I think is the best scenario, does America understand a brokered convention enough that it doesn't allow the media to present it as a negative thing? Is it possible that a brokered convention, though not a bad thing at all, could be painted by the media as a such a bad thing that it becomes a black eye for us running against Obama?

I'm for Santorum, I want him to win... and I want him to beat Obama... I think the key to that will be a strong VP candidate, like Allen West... but that will have to happen in a convention.
IDK about RS. I am more for Romney than anyone. Though I think anyone, Jesus included, would lose in a general election to Obama. Too much support, money and the supporters think he has done enough to earn a second term. I, on the other hand, think he has done only 1 good thing since taking office. Him and his administration put the Home Affordable Modifcation Plan thing into action and I have a job that is GREAT because of that. That's the only really good thing I have to say about him.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:10 PM
Strange in a Strange Land...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovie View Post
I'm cool with Allen West too!!
I am cool with Alan Combs. LOL
Old 03-15-2012, 07:17 AM
Not riding the train

If the field remains crowded, under the new Republican rules, it is going to be very difficult for any candidate to clinch the Republican nomination.

The new rules make it very likely that we will have a brokered convention. The only reason McCain tied up the nomination so quickly in 2008 is because, we were under the winner take all in the primaries.

"Any presidential primary, caucus, convention, or other meeting held for the purpose of selecting delegates to the national convention which occurs prior to the first day of April in the year in which the national convention is held, shall provide for the allocation of delegates on a proportional basis."

By the time the Convention is upon us, it will be very difficult for anyone to have over 50% of the delegates. Florida is the only state that remained a winner take all state, so it will be important and puts the nomination in the hands of the GOP Establishment. The GOP Establishment will only cooperate with us, the voters, if we choose the right candidate for them. Any anti-establishment candidate is going to have a huge problem.

So, those voters supporting Romney and his unconstitutionally, state mandated healthcare plan can take heart. Their guy will more than likely win.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Not riding the train

Someone sent this to me and it does make sense.

Quote:
If there is an open convention, Ron Paul delegates will not under any circumstances go to Gingrich or Santorum.

At the state level, Ron Paul delegates will favor reversing the conservative foreign policy planks of the GOP. Electing Ron Paul delegates to the national convention in no way helps those who wish to maintain the conservative foreign policy plank held by the GOP since the successful effort of Reagan and Jesse Helms in 1976.

Also, electing Ron Paul delegates in no way helps those who wish to see Gingrich as the GOP presidential nominee (or, for that matter, who wish to see Santorum as the nominee).

Ron Paul and his campaign know that Gingrich and Santorum are both sincere social conservatives, and are both sincere foreign policy conservatives.

Thus, at an open convention, forced to choose among Gingrich, Romney, and Santorum, the delegates pledged to Ron Paul would be most likely to support Romney, who is perceived as a flip-flopper and (unlike Gingrich and Santorum) perceived as more likely to be insincere about social conservatism and foreign policy conservatism.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Not riding the train

Let's do it!!! Let's vote Non-Romney and embarrass the RNC!!!

Quote:
A GOP convention fight? Here's how
Exclusive: Andrew Longman on impact of voting for 'Non-Romney' in upcoming primaries

So the math says that if conservatives strategically vote for The Non-Romney, conservatives will make their nominating convention actually mean something.

Here’s how: (read article)

So if you are trying to decide between Gingrich or Paul, don’t decide. Instead, be bigger. Support the official Non-Romney in your state. We have very little time to assess all the data, and swing in hard behind exactly one Non-Romney per state. Study hard! No division! One Non-Romney per state!

United we stand, divided we fall. Therefore unite around the Non-Romney! Embarrass the establishment! Force a conservative nominee! And prove that We the People, with our cans of low-calorie sparkling water from Walmart, are The Boss.

Go Non-Romney!

http://www.wnd.com/2012/04/a-gop-con...ght-heres-how/