Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Obituaries
Facebook

Notices

Old 02-20-2015, 09:36 AM
Temporary Occupant of Earth

Re: Rev, Lance Appleton Passed Away

Lance Appleton, 1952-2015

Thursday, February 19, 2015 at 2:00 pm Comments (1)

Lance C. Appleton, 62, of Columbia passed away Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2015, at home with family by his side.

Funeral service will be at 11 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 21, at the United Pentecostal Church, 211 Benton St. Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Friday, Feb. 20, at the United Pentecostal Church.

Lance was born Sept. 22, 1952, in Charleston, S.C., to Milton Ronald and Irma N. Smith Appleton. On Dec. 16, 1972, he married Merna Hochstrasser in St. Louis, while attending Gateway College of Evangelism. After graduating they moved to Columbia to work with the campus ministry. This led to a 30-year, full-time international evangelistic ministry. He was a prolific songwriter and accomplished musician on the piano, flute, guitar and harmonica. Lance recorded eight albums and was best known for writing the song, “I’m a One God Apostolic...”

He is survived by his wife, Merna of the home; his mother, Irma of Eagle Lake, Fla.; his two children, Crista Garza and husband Mark of McKinney, Texas, and Eric Appleton and wife Lydia of Columbia; one brother, Emre Appleton of Oakland Gardens, N.Y.; two sisters, Melody Wenger and husband Howard, and Lisa Appleton, all of Pilot, Va.; and six grandchildren, Grace Garza, Jeshua Garza, Glory Joy Garza, Ian Appleton, Elia Appleton and Avah Appleton.

He was preceded in death by his father and one brother, Aaron Appleton.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions can be made to the United Pentecostal Church, 211 Benton St., Columbia, Mo., 65203, or Hospice Advantage, 2620 Forum Blvd, Suite E, Columbia, Mo., 65203.

Online condolences and tributes can be shared with the family at www.bachyager.com.

http://m.columbiatribune.com/obituar...5b063c952.html

Do Not Argue With Idiots, they will just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:08 AM
Give it some gas!

Wow.

I remember him from years gone by. Makes me feel old!
Old 02-20-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
Here he is.

I was privileged to be at that men's conference. It was either that years conf. Or the following, that I recall seeing a man slowly running with difficulty around the sanctuary worshipping God. At first I didn't recognize him, because he had changed some due to his physical battle, but then someone in the micr said it was Lance. It was very moving, because of all the probly 700 men there singing, it was Lance struggling as it was, who began running around the sanctuary praising God aloud w every step.

I grew up hearing my mom play all his old records. Lotta meaningful songs. "These songs are my weapons, for fighting and for protection, songs about hope, and joy and peace and resurrection, songs about faith and trusting in Gods love, songs about salvation, and songs about the blood.!"

Directly after that mens conference I was privileged to be able to shake his hand and thank him for all those songs that impacted many of us.
As much as he will be missed by so many, I can't help but think of this song, and be glad for him that he can now do what he sang about, and "lay his crown at the Lords feet".

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29

Last edited by shag; 02-20-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

My folks went to a General Conference in the mid '60's. When they returned Mom couldn't say enough about this young man that played a flute so well that, 'it sounded like a human voice!' I can still recall how impressed my Mom was - and that was Lance Appleton, probably when he was at Gateway.

20 years later, in the mid '80's, Lance was still somewhat of a phenomenon. Like Charles Mahaney and Jeff Arnold - they're just not your average joe's. I went to see him while he ministered at Pastor Lonnie Treadway's church in Beaumont, Texas; and I was amazed. I expected good singing, good harmonica playing and maybe some good flute but I was amazed at his preaching. Now, 30 years later, I still recall how he preached about being, "Poured Out". He used Hannah as his primary text; how she poured out her soul in travail for a child.

Lance jumped, ran, stomped, hollered, shouted and sweated. I was amazed that one would put such a tremendous amount of physical action and energy into a message that was, in reality, so very meaty. This wasn't some frothy little thought that needed gymnastics to make it fly but I think this was just Lance; put your all into what you're doing.

Thank God for the spiritual elements of life that last forever. Lance is gone, his fleshly body is cold but the messages from the Word that he preached still burn in the hearts of those who care to remember.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

I have two or three of his recordings. Does anyone know what he passed away from? 62 is kind of young.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

http://youtu.be/x0USnocwgNI

One of my favorites! Especially starting about 3:35!!!
Old 03-02-2015, 05:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoiskaiser77 View Post
I have two or three of his recordings. Does anyone know what he passed away from? 62 is kind of young.
bump
Old 03-02-2015, 06:59 AM

Had been battling cancer for quite some time

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29
Old 03-03-2015, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

That's a shame. But he's with the Lord now so I guess we're supposed to rejoice but it seems so unreal to rejoice at his passing at such a young age.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post
Had been battling cancer for quite some time
I wondered what the cause of death was since he was not all that old. 20 years ago I would have thought he was old but now that I am less than a decade away from the age he was when he died I am thinking that is not all that old after all.

I am at that age where all of the secular and church notables of my youth are dying off and it is sobering.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"