Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-01-2019, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

Trinitarians That Baptize in Jesus' Name

Have you ever met any?

They won't agree with the Oneness message, but will say the Trinity defines the God of the Bible. They might see Jesus' Name baptism as the only Biblical method of water baptism, however, or they might at least be sympathetic to baptism using other methods outside the so-called Trinitarian formula.

I know the Assemblies of God took a stance against the Oneness message a century ago, but I have conversed online with a few AOG pastors that baptize their saints in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Some Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee) preachers, especially those that fall in that "old time Church of God" category, I know of baptized in the name of Jesus, or at the least, they weren't against it like most are now.

My Pastor's brother repented in a Southern Baptist church. My Pastor spoke with him and got him to see that baptism is performed correctly in the name of Jesus Christ. He was still baptized in his Southern Baptist church, however. The preacher there told the congregation something like, "Folks, we're going to do something a little different today. We're going to baptize Brother X in the name of Jesus like they did in Acts." There's been other people that's left their Baptist churches to come to ours. Several of them claim that their preachers had baptized them in the name of the Lord.

How about the rest of you? Have you ever come across any that affirm the Trinity, but baptize in the name of Jesus?
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.

Last edited by Bro Flame; 11-01-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

Re: Trinitarians That Baptize in Jesus' Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Roller View Post
Have you ever met any?

They won't agree with the Oneness message, but will say the Trinity defines the God of the Bible. They might see Jesus' Name baptism as the only Biblical method of water baptism, however, or they might at least be sympathetic to baptism using other methods outside the so-called Trinitarian formula.

I know the Assemblies of God took a stance against the Oneness message a century ago, but I have conversed online with a few AOG pastors that baptize their saints in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Some Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee) preachers, especially those that fall in that "old time Church of God" category, I know of baptized in the name of Jesus, or at the least, they weren't against it like most are now.

How about the rest of you? Have you ever come across any that affirm the Trinity, but baptize in the name of Jesus?

None could ever be good enough without coming full on board. Oneness, baptism but then standards would be lacking, then they might not preach enough against specific things as this one or that one. UPC would probably be more tolerant these days of a trini preachers converting without all the nuances. Maybe some of our ultra's here could chime in as to what point they would welcome them as a "brother in Christ" with full fellowship.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:45 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnman View Post
None could ever be good enough without coming full on board. Oneness, baptism but then standards would be lacking, then they might not preach enough against specific things as this one or that one. UPC would probably be more tolerant these days of a trini preachers converting without all the nuances. Maybe some of our ultra's here could chime in as to what point they would welcome them as a "brother in Christ" with full fellowship.
Full fellowship is based on adherance to everything the apostles taught (1 John 1:3, 1 John 1:6-7, 1 John 2:3-6, 1 John 4:3-6, 2 Thess 3:6, etc). It has nothing to do with man made denominations. We should rejoice when anyone does anything in line with God's Truth, and pray they continue moving forward. We should also avoid taking a nonchalant attitude towards the truth, as if things don't really matter or are just a matter of personal preference.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Last edited by Esaias; 11-01-2019 at 01:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-01-2019, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnman View Post
I agree. The standards would certainly be lacking, even though I know several Trinitarian Holiness bodies that have better standards and convictions that the majority of Apostolic Christians these days.

I guess what individuals call as Brothers and Sisters in Christ varies on what each individuals sees as pivotal to the Christian walk.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Roller View Post
Have you ever met any?

My Pastor's brother repented in a Southern Baptist church. My Pastor spoke with him and got him to see that baptism is performed correctly in the name of Jesus Christ. He was still baptized in his Southern Baptist church, however. The preacher there told the congregation something like, "Folks, we're going to do something a little different today. We're going to baptize Brother X in the name of Jesus like they did in Acts." There's been other people that's left their Baptist churches to come to ours. Several of them claim that their preachers had baptized them in the name of the Lord.

Absolutely, I see that with a lot of Trinitarians, they profess Jesus name, because they understand that’s the authority but they get hung up on the Oneness of the Godhead. Same as some that believe in 2 Gods, same devil different dress.

Read Luke 9:49-50, the man casting out demons did not follow after Jesus, (man this could preach) yet he was casting them out. The Disciples told Jesus about this and he told them don’t forbid him, he that is not against us is for us. I had to go back to a town I used to live in some time back, and while I was there I saw a man I used to know. I went up to him to say hi, and he began to pour his heart out, he told me “I feel like Jesus wants me to preach”, the Lord put me there to encourage this man, so I asked him, “what do you want to preach?” And he said “I want to tell others what God has done for me!” Now, he isn’t Apostolic, Pentecostal, WPF, he knows the Pastor (Apostolic) of this town, this may cross your or someone’s theology and I didn’t sent him to the Pastor, I told him to go and Preach and tell others what God has done for you. Now, is he saved? No, he is not, yet God will get the glory and this man begins to tell others about Jesus. Now, let me ask you a question, can you believe in One God, yet can’t explain it?