Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-02-2021, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

Re: Who was Harry Morse ?

Paul Dugas wrote a biography of G.T. Haywood. Not a word is mentioned of the 1913 Arroyo Seco campmeeting.

How disappointing.

Looks like the only Oneness Pentecostals to write about that event are Frank Ewart and Harry Morse.

Did anyone else write about it ??
Old 06-04-2021, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

Lemuel Charles Hall was a follower of John Dowie, famously located at Zion, Illinois.

So did Howard Goss.

William Francis Manley also spent a few months there in 1910, preaching to all the former followers of John Dowie.

How much influence did John Dowie have on Oneness Pentecostalism ?

L.C. Hall was a Dowie convert. He evangelized for a time in the midwest. He pastored in Vancouver, B. C. and his last pastorate was a trinitarian church in Pasadena, Ca.

Like many others, he was Oneness and then he was not. Tracking that progression of thought over time is difficult, if not impossible to document.

I often wonder the impact of people like John Dowie, William Durham and Charles Parham had on early Oneness Pentecostals. Mattie Crawford should also be in that group.

Historical perspective is difficult to come by.

I can track down the movements of a person. Putting together a timeline for a person is usually not that tough, if there are enough breadcrumbs to follow.

Lemuel Hall wrote more songs than books. Finding those books is sometimes a challenge. I collect some of them, but they shed little light on theological perspectives.

A sign on a church only gives a glimpse of the contents of a man's heart.
Old 06-05-2021, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

9/13/1902 (Leaves of Healing, p. 705) St. Louis, Missouri. Rev. Lemuel C. Hall, Elder in Charge. Rev. Mary MCGee, Hall, Evangelist.

Rome attacks. Zion victorious.

Elder Hall subjected to brutality and imprisoned by Romanist detectives. Court sets him free and rebukes his persecutors.

Rome, full of anger and malice at Zion’s faithful Elder in St. Louis, has made a most brutal and unwarranted attack upon him, but God has, as in always the case when Zion is attacked, given him glorious victory.

Once more has there been a wonderful fulfilment of the promise of God to HIs people: “No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper.”

The following letter from Evangelist Hall to the General Overseer tells, briefly, but graphically, of the outrage perpetrated upon her and her husband by malicious Roman Catholic detectives of the City of St. Louis, in the name of law:

Saturday night, August 30th, Elder Hall, Deacon Cutler and I went to Twenty-third and MOrgan streets, St. Louis, to hold a street meeting. We had been holding meetings there for five weeks every Saturday night.

One one corner was a large church, with a card on the door, telling that the church was closed by order of official board.

The daily papers had contained stories of the dissensions in the church, caused by grave charges against the pastor. On the opposite corner from the church was a saloon.

The crowd that has gathered from week to week to hear the preaching has been an orderly and interested one, and Leaves of Healing has found ready buyers among them.

On this particular Saturday night, when Elder Hall was arrested, a number of Romanists were among the crowd.

This part of town is known as “Kerry Patch,” and is in St. Bridget’s parish.

A Jesuit, whom we have known for a year or more began interrupting the meeting by asking questions, some impertinent.

A group of women, all Romanists, became abusive.

Elder Hall mentioned in his talk an article that appeared in the press of this city, describing the burning of a convent in Belleville, Illinois.

Just here a man cursed Elder Hall repeatedly, and said he was going off after eggs to throw at him.

Two men in citizens dress, who were afterwards known to us as police detectives, had, during the service, interrupted Elder Hall by insulting remarks.

Finally they asked to see Elder Hall’s permit for street preaching. This was shown them, but in the face of this, these two announced to Elder Hall that they were officers and at once arrested him.

Deacon Cutler was left with the organ and literature, and Elder Hall was taken a block away to a police telephone.

I went along.

A crowd of about 500 gathered, and much murmuring was heard against the men who made the arrest.

I asked to know where they were taking Elder Hall, but the information was refused.

One of the detectives who made the arrest said to me, hissing an oath: “We are taking him where you will not see him for forty years.”

Other policemen gathered around as the wagon was drawn alongside the curbing and Elder Hall was roughly pushed in.

I began singing: a policeman struck me with his club and ordered me to move on. I told him I would go on, but could not get through the great throng rapidly.

He pushed and struck me with his club from one street corner to the other, then left me as I went walking on my way. Deacon Cutler joined me, and when we found where they had taken Mr. Hall, we went there.

It proved to be a police station in the very heart of Romanism.

When we went in, they had just made their charge against Elder Hall, telling the most outrageous lies about him. They refused to let me speak to him, or to let him speak to me. They handled him brutally.

Elder Hall says that a police detective pushed him into the prison cell, and said: “I would like to put you in some dark cellar where you would learn what Roman Catholicism is.”

Elder Hall replied: “Yes, that is what Rome is, dark cellars and deep caverns.”

Elder Hall was behind the bars for about two hours and a half, then he was released under a $500 bond.

The case was set for the following Tuesday, Monday being a legal holiday, Labor Day.

When we went down Tuesday, Elder Hall was told the case had been continued to Thursday. An attorney said to Elder Hall: “You would have about as good a chance in this court as a lump of ice in the crater of Mont Pelee.”

A change of venue was granted on petition, and the case set for September 11th.

This morning Elder Hall, accompanied by Deacon Cutler and myself and some of Zion Seventies, attended the police court.

It is almost under the immediate shadow of the largest brewery in the world.

The two detectives, with their witnesses, were present. Two of the witnesses were saloon men. When the witnesses were called to the stand, they all showed confusion, and some showed fear.

I believe they were afraid of our God.

The Judge did not call Elder Hall or any of us to the witness stand, but said the prosecution had utterly failed to make out any case at all.

He cautioned them that they were treading on treacherous ground, and was very incisive in his remarks upon their conduct.

He then said, with a good deal of emphasis, “Lemuel C. Hall, you are discharged.”

The wicked looking men quickly withdrew.

As they went away, in their very gait, so miserable and wicked, I found myself praying for them, and a real longing came into my heart that they might repent and yet know the sweetness and purity of the salvation of Zion’s God, through our Lord Jesus, the Christ.

Mary McGee Hall
Evangelist of Christian Catholic Church in Zion.
Old 06-05-2021, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

9/13/1902 (Leaves of Healing, p. 705) St. Louis, Missouri. Rev. Lemuel C. Hall, Elder in Charge. Rev. Mary MCGee, Hall, Evangelist.

Rome attacks. Zion victorious.

Elder Hall subjected to brutality and imprisoned by Romanist detectives. Court sets him free and rebukes his persecutors.

Rome, full of anger and malice at Zion’s faithful Elder in St. Louis, has made a most brutal and unwarranted attack upon him, but God has, as in always the case when Zion is attacked, given him glorious victory.

Once more has there been a wonderful fulfilment of the promise of God to HIs people: “No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper.”

The following letter from Evangelist Hall to the General Overseer tells, briefly, but graphically, of the outrage perpetrated upon her and her husband by malicious Roman Catholic detectives of the City of St. Louis, in the name of law:

Saturday night, August 30th, Elder Hall, Deacon Cutler and I went to Twenty-third and MOrgan streets, St. Louis, to hold a street meeting. We had been holding meetings there for five weeks every Saturday night.

One one corner was a large church, with a card on the door, telling that the church was closed by order of official board.

The daily papers had contained stories of the dissensions in the church, caused by grave charges against the pastor. On the opposite corner from the church was a saloon.

The crowd that has gathered from week to week to hear the preaching has been an orderly and interested one, and Leaves of Healing has found ready buyers among them.

On this particular Saturday night, when Elder Hall was arrested, a number of Romanists were among the crowd.

This part of town is known as “Kerry Patch,” and is in St. Bridget’s parish.

A Jesuit, whom we have known for a year or more began interrupting the meeting by asking questions, some impertinent.

A group of women, all Romanists, became abusive.

Elder Hall mentioned in his talk an article that appeared in the press of this city, describing the burning of a convent in Belleville, Illinois.

Just here a man cursed Elder Hall repeatedly, and said he was going off after eggs to throw at him.

Two men in citizens dress, who were afterwards known to us as police detectives, had, during the service, interrupted Elder Hall by insulting remarks.

Finally they asked to see Elder Hall’s permit for street preaching. This was shown them, but in the face of this, these two announced to Elder Hall that they were officers and at once arrested him.

Deacon Cutler was left with the organ and literature, and Elder Hall was taken a block away to a police telephone.

I went along.

A crowd of about 500 gathered, and much murmuring was heard against the men who made the arrest.

I asked to know where they were taking Elder Hall, but the information was refused.

One of the detectives who made the arrest said to me, hissing an oath: “We are taking him where you will not see him for forty years.”

Other policemen gathered around as the wagon was drawn alongside the curbing and Elder Hall was roughly pushed in.

I began singing: a policeman struck me with his club and ordered me to move on. I told him I would go on, but could not get through the great throng rapidly.

He pushed and struck me with his club from one street corner to the other, then left me as I went walking on my way. Deacon Cutler joined me, and when we found where they had taken Mr. Hall, we went there.

It proved to be a police station in the very heart of Romanism.

When we went in, they had just made their charge against Elder Hall, telling the most outrageous lies about him. They refused to let me speak to him, or to let him speak to me. They handled him brutally.

Elder Hall says that a police detective pushed him into the prison cell, and said: “I would like to put you in some dark cellar where you would learn what Roman Catholicism is.”

Elder Hall replied: “Yes, that is what Rome is, dark cellars and deep caverns.”

Elder Hall was behind the bars for about two hours and a half, then he was released under a $500 bond.

The case was set for the following Tuesday, Monday being a legal holiday, Labor Day.

When we went down Tuesday, Elder Hall was told the case had been continued to Thursday. An attorney said to Elder Hall: “You would have about as good a chance in this court as a lump of ice in the crater of Mont Pelee.”

A change of venue was granted on petition, and the case set for September 11th.

This morning Elder Hall, accompanied by Deacon Cutler and myself and some of Zion Seventies, attended the police court.

It is almost under the immediate shadow of the largest brewery in the world.

The two detectives, with their witnesses, were present. Two of the witnesses were saloon men. When the witnesses were called to the stand, they all showed confusion, and some showed fear.

I believe they were afraid of our God.

The Judge did not call Elder Hall or any of us to the witness stand, but said the prosecution had utterly failed to make out any case at all.

He cautioned them that they were treading on treacherous ground, and was very incisive in his remarks upon their conduct.

He then said, with a good deal of emphasis, “Lemuel C. Hall, you are discharged.”

The wicked looking men quickly withdrew.

As they went away, in their very gait, so miserable and wicked, I found myself praying for them, and a real longing came into my heart that they might repent and yet know the sweetness and purity of the salvation of Zion’s God, through our Lord Jesus, the Christ.

Mary McGee Hall
Evangelist of Christian Catholic Church in Zion.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:34 AM
Registered Member

2 books came in the post this week.

Songs of his Power is a hymnal from 1914. It includes songs by L.C. Hall and Herbert Buffum. But I do not see other Oneness composers. E. M. Bell is also an editor, but I did not check to see if this is during his brief Oneness period.

The other is called The Oneness Pentecostal Movement. It is by Joseph Streeval. He is Oneness, but not a scholar. I did chat with him on the phone. Nice guy. At 270 pages, it is a thorough history of the beginnings of the Oneness movement. His research is based on what literature we have today, not a first hand memory of the events.

Now that the pandemic is over, more newspaper archive material is coming online and I am once again filling in the blanks on key figures. I wrote the biography of Lemuel Charles Hall and I did more work on the Peniel Mission in Fresno, California.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:52 AM
Registered Member

L. C. Hall had the copyright to the song "All in Him" in 1920. George Farrow wrote the song. I wonder how they knew each other ? Farrow was in Los Angeles in the 1919-1920 time period and Hall was in the midwest.

Perhaps Hall, who wrote numerous hymns, wrote the music and Farrow wrote the lyrics.

Looks like I will need to see how they knew each other. Perhaps Thoro Harris, the editor of the songbook it was published in, put them together. Both Harris and Hall lived in Chicago at the time.

Last edited by Scott Pitta; 06-12-2021 at 12:57 AM.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

In the seven years since you started this thread, has your "why" for this project changed? And what is it?
Old 06-12-2021, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

On a whim, I decided to write the biography or discover who Harry Morse was. I wondered what impact he had on what I learned as a student at CLC. CLC was founded by Clyde Haney, a former student of Harry Morse.

At first, Harry Morse was a ghost. No one knew him. No one had written about him.

Those who did know him, his ministry peers, were also unknown people.

This was complicated by the fact that I had no skills in researching a biography.

Now, 7 years later, putting together a timeline for an unknown person, like Lemuel C. Hall is easy. I know where to look. I know how to save my data.

New data about Harry Morse is still coming in. Understanding the context of his life is a bit beyond my intellectual reach. I am no historian.

In the process I have put together timelines, biographies of a couple of dozen unknown Oneness Pentecostals. Some are mentioned by others, but no one has bothered to write their biographies.

I wrote the story of the spread of Pentecostalism from Los Angeles. Harry was not the first one to the San Francisco Bay area.

Harry was part of the Peniel Mission movement prior to Azusa Street. There is no written record of the Peniel Mission. So I ended up writing about it, at least in California.

Harry believed unique doctrines. But since he wrote very few articles, and since what he believed changed over time, documenting his theology is impossible. He was very open minded to the views of others.

Harry started and or pastored in British Columbia, Oregon and Idaho. His students started churches and pastored churches in California and the pacific northwest.

This project is a bit like writing a mystery. Each character has a different story. On a slow day, I can work on a mystery person. Or buy yet another obscure self published out of print Oneness book.

I do not conduct as many interviews as I did in the beginning. But I did do one the other day. Most data comes from online newspaper archives.

Eventually, the collections of unknown, or nearly unknown Oneness Pentecostals will be published. Included will be the relationship between the Peniel Mission and Oneness Pentecostalism, as well as the spread of Pentecostalism from Los Angeles to the San Francisco Bay area.

It will not be a rehashing of the same ideas and persons everyone else had done.
Old 06-12-2021, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

Very interesting, keep it up.
Old 06-12-2021, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

Okay. Post 977 is funny and interesting.

Funny because of the Pent Ass church....

Interesting because they were quoting a supposed prophecy by George Washington about the US being invaded.

Very interesting.