Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall > WPF News
Facebook

Notices

WPF News Discussion of the WWPF meetings in Tulsa and related sidetracks.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

Re: Old way of Holiness Standard do we need to kee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkstokes View Post
My thoughts exactly Randy. I was raised baptist and didn't recieve the Holy Ghost until I was 18. However, I agree with you that is one thing that has always grieved me is when people focus more or ACTS 2:38 then the cross. May the LORD help us to keep everything in perspective!

Raised UPC and love my past and all of the teaching and experiences , but must still agree that there is not always proper emphasis on what I consider the basics. I daresay everyone could use the Baptist foundation and then add the Acts 2:38 experience and we would produce healthier Christians.

In the natural the government has RDA standards for nutrition, but these are based on everyone first consuming a proper diet and -------- then these are the required nutrients. But we as Americans do not eat all of the necessary fruits and veggies, so the graph is faulty.

In the spiritual, we put all of the focus on Acts 2:38, but this is with the assumption that we have the prior basic scriptural knowledge. I truly think the UPC glosses over some of the preliminary steps.

Nothing wrong with learning to crawl before we walk.

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.
William James
Old 02-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan'D View Post
The Old way of Holiness Standard do we need to keep?

The WPF is keeping with the idea that we should keep our Holiness Standards we have kept over the years. Which I agree, Yes things change but do we?
Dan'D
Whose Holiness Standards? You say we and our.....but not everyone has the same set of standards.

Do we change? Yes we do and should when we realize our views and lives do not come in line with the word of God.

So your post assumes a lot of things for the rest of the board, that they all agree with you on the standards you believe in and that some no longer do because things change.

There have been many "standards" that changed over the years before....

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

I still believe and love all the holiness standards. I still hold to everything that my great grandparents taught me and I am teaching them to my children.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:16 PM
God's Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP_Carl View Post
The consideration of television programming and internet access as equivalents is YOUR OPINION. You can't make a proof from a faulty premise.
Quote:
tv1a: The faulty premise the the ignorant idea that internet is okay, but television isn't.
This sort of thing used to be against the rules around here.
Quote:
tv1a: Galatians 3:1 says legalism is witchcraft. An organization based on legalism is not of God.
This is ultra-dangerous theology. Jesus went to the cross willingly and of his own accord. He did it out of his great love to provide the ultimate sacrifice for sin. If the Pharisees had seen the light, some other group would have hammered the nails. The Pharisees' main railing accusation against him was his self-expression of Godhead, which they saw as blasphemy. It wasn't for the minor points of the law that they took him before Pilate.

[QUOTE] The pharisees were looking for an excuse to nail Jesus after he repeatedly exposed their fraud. Although they were part of the divine plan, Jesus knew what buttons to push the pharisees to the point of retribution. [/QUOTE]

Legalism has no pity on people. Legalism makes my opinion your burden, makes opinion your boundary, makes my opinion your obligation-Lucado

Some get spiritual because they see the light. Others because they feel the heat.Ray Wylie Hubbard

Definition of legalism- Damned if you do. Damned if you don't. TV
Old 02-25-2008, 09:21 PM
TruthTeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whole Hearted View Post
I still believe and love all the holiness standards. I still hold to everything that my great grandparents taught me and I am teaching them to my children.
It's good to hear there are some that still stand for the Old Landmarks still around!
Old 02-25-2008, 09:24 PM
TruthTeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonsense View Post
Raised UPC and love my past and all of the teaching and experiences , but must still agree that there is not always proper emphasis on what I consider the basics. I daresay everyone could use the Baptist foundation and then add the Acts 2:38 experience and we would produce healthier Christians.

In the natural the government has RDA standards for nutrition, but these are based on everyone first consuming a proper diet and -------- then these are the required nutrients. But we as Americans do not eat all of the necessary fruits and veggies, so the graph is faulty.

In the spiritual, we put all of the focus on Acts 2:38, but this is with the assumption that we have the prior basic scriptural knowledge. I truly think the UPC glosses over some of the preliminary steps.

Nothing wrong with learning to crawl before we walk.
Are Apostolics now wanting to add doctrine from trinitarian churches to complement the Apostolic way, what's the church coming to.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:31 PM
TruthTeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkstokes View Post
My thoughts exactly Randy. I was raised baptist and didn't recieve the Holy Ghost until I was 18. I use to always fo to summer camps with my baptist church where for a week or so we would have devotions, prayer, and activities. I remember once the Pastor had us read out of Acts. I questioned myself, "Why is this book so unfamiliar to me?" This was one of the things that lead me to look for more. However, I agree with you that is one thing that has always grieved me is when people focus more or ACTS 2:38 then the cross. May the LORD help us to keep everything in perspective!
Have you ever considered that Jesus first preached repent for the kindom of heaven is at hand, was baptised. and had a showing of the Holy Ghost to a man (John the Baptist) before he ever went to the cross. Without his death at the cross there would not have been an Acts 2:38, but that doesn't diminish the importance of repentance, baptism and recieving the Holy Ghost or Jesus would not have had these things come into focus in his life before his death.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
It's good to hear there are some that still stand for the Old Landmarks still around!

Or Land Rovers! Or even Range Rovers!

Hold the Fort!, Hold the Fort!!!!!
Old 02-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Lofty, Scientific, and Literal

Quote:
You mean, the ones that didn't exist until 1945??
Old 02-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Jesus is the Christ

Quote:
Have you ever considered that Jesus first preached repent for the kindom of heaven is at hand, was baptised. and had a showing of the Holy Ghost to a man (John the Baptist) before he ever went to the cross. Without his death at the cross there would not have been an Acts 2:38, but that doesn't diminish the importance of repentance, baptism and recieving the Holy Ghost or Jesus would not have had these things come into focus in his life before his death.
Dear Sir

I do not diminish any of the fundamental doctrines of the NT church. Nevertheless, I am determined to know only Christ and Him Crucified. I think if one does such a thing he or she is in good company.
If ye believe not that I AM, ye shall die in your sins. John 8:24

Mone me, amabo te, si erro

No real problem exists over the use of "The Name" in everthing else done in the Church. Why then should there exist great controversy over the use of the "The Name of the Godhead" in water baptism?
Kevin J. Conner The Name of God p. 92