Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
depression, holy ghost, salvation, suicide

Old 09-13-2013, 09:43 AM
Banned

Re: Mental Illness Revisited...

To say that God intends to heal everyone is to misunderstand the purpose of healing in the Bible and to reduce God to a cosmic Santa Clause.

Remember, healing has a divine purpose beyond the health of the individual being prayed for. When the fullness of this reality is grasped healing is seen in it's proper light.

Last edited by Aquila; 09-13-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Sorry, I'm truly sorry, but posting with you over the years gave me this conclusion. So, you were healed of being depressed through the Holy Ghost, then why isn't that accessible to all others?
It is. But that doesn't mean I didn't struggle and suffer with it for 10 years AS A CHRISTIAN until that happened. If you had met me during that time, you could have depressed me further and made me feel worse with your "encouraging" words of "faith" which, no disrespect meant, but are simply false accusations to the hearer. You are saying "If you just have faith, you would be healed". But the truth is, that sometimes people have faith and just don't get healed on your timetable. Sometimes people are doing all they can do.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 09-13-2013, 09:45 AM
friendly to the sinners

Quote:
So are you saying that Jesus cannot heal someone who is depressed?

Someone with bipolar?

I have read posts of those who say yes it is possible that Jesus can heal these issues....but?

I'll just stay on the side of prayer, and committing to give people hope, rather than Sigmund Freud and Paroxetine.
Bro. B, I think I get your point. You believe that depression exists, Christians can "get it" but dont have to live with it and be on meds the rest of their lives. Am I right? If this is your position, I agree. I dont necessarily have a problem with the right meds prescribed on a temp basis but too many settle for them as the fix when we serve a Healer. By His stripes we are healed just the same and just as easily as our sins are blotted out. I think we miss out in a lot of promises of God because we settle for less or have not learned to submit those broken areas and diseases unto God. We learn to repent and let God forgive but fail all too often to let Him heal. Im not saying this to bash godly and ungodly people that struggle with this. Ive been there, been healed of that.

Last edited by endtimer; 09-13-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:46 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
To say that God intends to heal everyone is to misunderstand the purpose of healing in the Bible and to reduce God to a cosmic Satan Clause.

Remember, healing has a divine purpose beyond the health of the individual being prayed for. When the fullness of this reality is grasped healing is seen in it's proper light.
Whoa, the Satan Clause only heals those who chooses to heal. Like Vishnu dealing with his devotees who must go through hard strenuous meditations in order to appease their god. Brother Chris, Jesus wants us to believe, to have faith, to continue to trust. He heals, everyday He heals.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Wait, Jesus tells the blind man that it was the blind man's faith which was going to do the healing? Are we dealing with Christianity of the Bible, or the Fate doctrine of Hinduism?
Apples and oranges Bro. Benincasa.

If the miracles and the distinct moves of God found in the Bible are charted, you will see that they come in waves and seasons. Some theologians have explained them as coming in "bursts". Some bursts of miracles are separated by many decades, yet others are separated by centuries. The most miracle saturated period of time was the during the life of Christ. What is most interesting is that scholars typically note that bursts of healing, miracles, and the raising of the dead normally come in the wake of a prophetic message for a generation... not always upon request. In a very real sense the healings and miracles serve to confirm a message from God... not just to make one feel better. Thus, during every change of dispensational covenant, or during the most powerful prophetic proclamations of Scripture... you'll see an abundance of miracles and healings.

However, if the entire time line of the Bible is examined... bursts of miracles were actually very few and rather targeted.

There's far more on this, I'll have to dig up what resources I have to give you something to examine that's more in depth on this.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:52 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by endtimer View Post
Bro. B, I think I get your point. You believe that depression exists, Christians can "get it" but dont have to live with it and be on meds the rest of their lives. Am I right? If this is your position, I agree. I dont necessarily have a problem with the right meds prescribed on a temp basis but too many settle for them as the fix when we serve a Healer. By His stripes we are healed just the same and just as easily as our sins are blotted out. I think we miss out in a lot of promises of God because we settle for lessor have not learned to submit those broken areas and diseases unto God. We learn to repent and let God forgive but fail all too often to let Him heal. Im not saying this to bash godly and ungodly people that struggle with this. Ive been there, been healed of that.
Yes, if a person gets depressed, He has Jesus Christ to get him or her out of the situation. Some psychiatrists aren't focused on the healing process, because they believe it isn't possible. Also some Christians don't think it is possible outside of Medical field, chemo is used way before prayer, or prayer coupled with chemo. I didn't go for chemo, I didn't go for the colostomy bag, but was healed through the Holy Ghost. My thoughts are if Jesus did all these things in the Bible, and it happened to others including myself, then why can't people be healed? It isn't His fault, He isn't Vishnu choosing to heal one and kill the other?
Old 09-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

I don't think it is a black and white EITHER you get healed OR you don't have faith. Sometimes life is a bit gray and fuzzy.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 09-13-2013, 09:57 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
Apples and oranges Bro. Benincasa.

If the miracles and the distinct moves of God found in the Bible are charted, you will see that they come in waves and seasons. Some theologians have explained them as coming in "bursts". Some bursts of miracles are separated by many decades, yet others are separated by centuries. The most miracle saturated period of time was the during the life of Christ. What is most interesting is that scholars typically note that bursts of healing, miracles, and the raising of the dead normally come in the wake of a prophetic message for a generation... not always upon request. In a very real sense the healings and miracles serve to confirm a message from God... not just to make one feel better. Thus, during every change of dispensational covenant, or during the most powerful prophetic proclamations of Scripture... you'll see an abundance of miracles and healings.

However, if the entire time line of the Bible is examined... bursts of miracles were actually very few and rather targeted.

There's far more on this, I'll have to dig up what resources I have to give you something to examine that's more in depth on this.
Luke 7:11-17 speaks about the widow woman whose ONLY son had died, and Jesus healed him of death. There was no prophetic message preached prior to this outcome, but a need of a widow of her only support. You need to cool out on theologians I think they're killing your faith.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Whoa, the Satan Clause only heals those who chooses to heal. Like Vishnu dealing with his devotees who must go through hard strenuous meditations in order to appease their god. Brother Chris, Jesus wants us to believe, to have faith, to continue to trust. He heals, everyday He heals.
You really don't understand what the implications are of what you're saying...

My mother had a very serious heart attack six years ago. I prayed and prayed like I had never prayed before. I had faith. I even testified that my mother would be with us in a week. Then... to my absolute dismay... I had to make the call and finally disconnect my mother from life support because God chose not to heal. I preached her funeral and conducted the internment. I had come to peace with accepting that it wasn't God's will to heal her. Why do religious fundamentalists always have a knack for finding old healed wounds, just to rip them open again?

You have no idea how much your words hurt. You see... you're implying that my mother should have been healed... and that evidently I screwed up or just didn't have the faith. My fault she died.

Thank you for your version of the "good news" there Bro. Benincasa. But honestly, I could have lived without it.

I'm done on this thread. And please... don't talk to me for a while. I'm trying to keep my Christianity about this.

I think I'm going to step away from the computer for a few.

Last edited by Aquila; 09-13-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:58 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
I don't think it is a black and white EITHER you get healed OR you don't have faith. Sometimes life is a bit gray and fuzzy.

Sister it is about faith. That's what atheists don't understand and that is why the Rabbis see Jesus as a magician. Sadly most Christians see Jesus as a magician. Your faith has made you whole?