Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
baptism, church, cogic, pentecostal, trinitarian

Old 10-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

Re: COGIC - Baptism in Jesus Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1399 View Post
I'm about to join this COGIC near where I own a home in Baltimore.

I'm not living there right now, but that's another story.

Anyway, I've attended several services there and have enjoyed them. I spoke with the Pastor and he told me that he baptized folks, "in the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost in Jesus Name" so as to be agreement with all scriptures concerning baptism.

I don't see this as compromising the truth of God's Word.

What do you all think?
As you've already found out, the answers you're going to get on this depends almost exclusively on whether the person answering believes in a 3-step or 1-step process of Salvation. The discussion has the potential to get far more nuanced, but it won't.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:22 AM
Matthew 7:6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMBrown View Post
As you've already found out, the answers you're going to get on this depends almost exclusively on whether the person answering believes in a 3-step or 1-step process of Salvation. The discussion has the potential to get far more nuanced, but it won't.
Yes, the 3step/1step thing is a major factor in this... but I believe there's a significant number of 1-steppers who think it's a bad idea for an Apostolic to join a Trinitarian church.

(...At least I would hope that's the case. Maybe I'm kidding myself).

It would be unfortunate that 1-steppers would think it would be better for him to go to a 1 step Trinitarian church than a 3-stepper Oneness church.... but I do know there are some here who think that way.

I'm T France, and I approved this message.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRFrance View Post
Yes, the 3step/1step thing is a major factor in this... but I believe there's a significant number of 1-steppers who think it's a bad idea for an Apostolic to join a Trinitarian church.

(...At least I would hope that's the case. Maybe I'm kidding myself).

It would be unfortunate that 1-steppers would think it would be better for him to go to a 1 step Trinitarian church church than a 3-stepper Oneness church.... but I do know there are some here who think that way.
I think that any Oneness believer (regardless of what kind) who decides to become a permanent member of a Trinitarian must be prepared to eventually lose Oneness beliefs and worldviews. One simply cannot be in that environment consistently and not have it affect you.

Personally, I cannot stomach the thought of winning anyone to the Lord only to see them baptized in the FSGH formula. That alone would keep me away from Trinitarian membership!!

There's power in baptism in Jesus' Name!!!
Old 11-15-2008, 08:26 AM
La vie est un voyage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1399 View Post
I'm about to join this COGIC near where I own a home in Baltimore.

I'm not living there right now, but that's another story.

Anyway, I've attended several services there and have enjoyed them. I spoke with the Pastor and he told me that he baptized folks, "in the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost in Jesus Name" so as to be agreement with all scriptures concerning baptism.

I don't see this as compromising the truth of God's Word.

What do you all think?
To me that is compromise. Why don't we just throw in Buddha, Mohamed and the great spirit and don't forget Obama since he's the world's new redeemer. We could say I baptize you in every name under the sun.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Jesus is the Christ

As far as baptism goes, I would want my children or any convert that I led to the Lord to be baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. However, I have heard of even old time Oneness preachers baptizing in a similar way as mentioned before.

The question of attending a oneness or trinitarian church is not that simply stated. In all practicality, very few sermons or teachings in normal church services are directly focused upon the doctrine of the Godhead.

I find that most oneness believers who do attend trinitarian churches do it because of the intolerance that is based around "holiness standards". Oneness churches that prescribe to them are always more than willing to accept the tithe of those who do not do the standards. However, they are unwilling for them to teach SS classes or sing in the choir, etc. This leaves the oneness believer who does not follow the standards in a feeling of being used or second class.
If ye believe not that I AM, ye shall die in your sins. John 8:24

Mone me, amabo te, si erro

No real problem exists over the use of "The Name" in everthing else done in the Church. Why then should there exist great controversy over the use of the "The Name of the Godhead" in water baptism?
Kevin J. Conner The Name of God p. 92
Old 09-12-2010, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRFrance View Post
I like Mike, and I think he knows that, but I feel like I'm watching a slow motion train wreck unfolding in front of me.

At this point I feel like the best thing we can do is just pray, Bro Epley. As long as there's life, there's hope. God didnt give up on us, so we cant give up on our brothers and sisters either.
TRFrance,

I think of you often and will pray for you tonight and later on too. Miss talking with you, Sir.