Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
anger, police, prejudice, race, white

Old 07-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

Re: When Prejudice Embarrasses

From the scholar, Gate's, Yale application:

Quote:
"As always, whitey now sits in judgment of me, preparing to cast my fate. It is your decision either to let me blow with the wind as a nonentity or to encourage the development of self. Allow me to prove myself."
Whitey? I think Gates is the one who has a problem with racism. Why more haven't clued into this is beyond me. His work of the past, present and future should contain a huge asterisk for being racially biased.

Source

The Cambridge Mayor spoke again ...

Quote:
The arrest of Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr., and the racially charged controversy that followed, will be remembered “as a turning point for the city” and its residents, Cambridge Mayor Denise Simmons said Monday.

Ultimately, she said, the city will “come out stronger and more unified.”
Uhm, with due respect Mayor ... it's better to be silent and thought of as ignant, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

"Turning point for the city?" Why is this a "turning point?" Cambridge will "come out stronger and be more unified?"

Lady Mayor, last I checked, the support for the white cop was overwhelming ... and you weren't in that number. In fact, the first thing you did was rush to apologize to Gates over the bad, white cops arrest.

The only way Cambridge will be more unified will be to toss this Mayor out with the next election. She's been shown to be racially biased and unable to resolve conflicts in an impartial manner.

Source

I lost the source, but read (I believe on CNN) that the police have requested the city release both the 911 call and police transmissions to clear up allegations of racism on part of the 911 caller and officer.

Hopefully this happens. As stated before, the officer should follow thru with a defamation suit against those involved in smearing him. They should be held accountable and shouldn't be allowed to get by with it.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:14 PM
La vie est un voyage

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
From the scholar, Gate's, Yale application:

Whitey? I think Gates is the one who has a problem with racism. Why more haven't clued into this is beyond me. His work of the past, present and future should contain a huge asterisk for being racially biased.

Source

The Cambridge Mayor spoke again ...

Uhm, with due respect Mayor ... it's better to be silent and thought of as ignant, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

"Turning point for the city?" Why is this a "turning point?" Cambridge will "come out stronger and be more unified?"

Lady Mayor, last I checked, the support for the white cop was overwhelming ... and you weren't in that number. In fact, the first thing you did was rush to apologize to Gates over the bad, white cops arrest.

The only way Cambridge will be more unified will be to toss this Mayor out with the next election. She's been shown to be racially biased and unable to resolve conflicts in an impartial manner.

Source

I lost the source, but read (I believe on CNN) that the police have requested the city release both the 911 call and police transmissions to clear up allegations of racism on part of the 911 caller and officer.

Hopefully this happens. As stated before, the officer should follow thru with a defamation suit against those involved in smearing him. They should be held accountable and shouldn't be allowed to get by with it.
You didn't expect a black Mayor to stand behing a white cop did you? I say let cops do their job.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

Sgt. Crowley's police report lost some credability today. The report claimed that she told him there were two "black men" in the home when he talked to her.

The woman, Whaley, who called 911 said she didn't even speak to the officer on the scene. She also said that she never assigned any color to the suspects. The taped 911 call shows that she didn't say anything about "black men".

I've been on the cops side in this, but if he got that part of his police report incorrect, he may have gotten other portions incorrect. Not a positive development for the officer.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

Wait it out till more info is realed.
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinAR View Post
Sgt. Crowley's police report lost some credability today. The report claimed that she told him there were two "black men" in the home when he talked to her.

The woman, Whaley, who called 911 said she didn't even speak to the officer on the scene. She also said that she never assigned any color to the suspects. The taped 911 call shows that she didn't say anything about "black men".

I've been on the cops side in this, but if he got that part of his police report incorrect, he may have gotten other portions incorrect. Not a positive development for the officer.
Mike, the 911 tapes and police report are two different things, as I'm sure you're aware.

The lady made the 911 call - those verify no race was mentioned.

The lady then was, no doubt, asked for a statement, in which the officer wrote that she stated a race.

Now just because she didn't state one on the 911 call does not mean she didn't give one to the officer.

Why would it bear one way or the other for the officer? The officer had nothing to do with the 911 call. It only bears badly for the scholar who claims this was all about race. The officer loses no credibility IMO with the 911 tapes because he had nothing to do with them.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUNWORTHY View Post
You didn't expect a black Mayor to stand behing a white cop did you? I say let cops do their job.

FOUL!!!!!

You didn't mean this exactly as stated did you?
Old 07-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Mike, the 911 tapes and police report are two different things, as I'm sure you're aware.

The lady made the 911 call - those verify no race was mentioned.

1) The lady then was, no doubt, asked for a statement, in which the officer wrote that she stated a race.

Now just because she didn't state one on the 911 call does not mean she didn't give one to the officer.

2) Why would it bear one way or the other for the officer? The officer had nothing to do with the 911 call. It only bears badly for the scholar who claims this was all about race. The officer loses no credibility IMO with the 911 tapes because he had nothing to do with them.

1) She said she did not speak to the officer (SGT Crowley) on the scene AND that she never mentioned the race of the "suspects" anyway.

2) Because he is saying one thing and what he is saying is not 100% true-- thus he loses some credibility.

I still think the whole thing is both of their faults and could have been avoided if one of them would have just calmed down.

That Professor, with his age, has his past to draw as a frame of reference-- unfortunately this is normal human behavior. Call it what you want, but I am sure his American experience has been quite different from mine. I think he's old enough to be my Dad and I KNOW the stories that my Mom and Dad and they aren't good.

Given the position of the Police Officer, and the trust he has apparently earned, I really think that he was just having a bad day-- whether he was completely justified or not.

Last edited by Jermyn Davidson; 07-27-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

Folks are bias.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUNWORTHY View Post

SOUNWORTHY,

Do you really mean this the way it reads?

I don't think you do, but it would be nice if you answered. This is my 2nd time asking.

Maybe you haven't been online to respond.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
SOUNWORTHY,

Do you really mean this the way it reads?

I don't think you do, but it would be nice if you answered. This is my 2nd time asking.

Maybe you haven't been online to respond.
Wouldn't be a little natural for her to be bias? I wonder if she would have reacted the same if the officers were all black?