Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-21-2021, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

Holiness Baptists

Ever met any? Know any personally?
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 05-22-2021, 05:31 AM
Registered Member

Re: Holiness Baptists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Flame View Post
Ever met any? Know any personally?
The Baptist of the old ACE used to be pretty holiness.
Old 05-22-2021, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

Yes. We had a couple of holiness baptist families in our homeschool group. Also have some neighbors who are holiness baptist.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

What made them "Holiness"?
Old 05-23-2021, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
If they give their allegiance to an organization, then “Holiness” will be defined as ones modest dress.
Old 05-24-2021, 04:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Women mot cutting their hair or wearing pants.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

I must confess that I had never heard of Holiness Baptists before we moved where we live now. There is a small, brick Holiness Baptist church right down the road. My Bonus Mom's brother's mother-in-law used to go there regularly. We went there once for a homecoming service because we were invited. It was basically just a small, country church kind of service. The music was practically a capella, but they did have a piano in the corner of the pulpit where an older woman played it.

I remember that the women and men both dressed very modest and that the preacher that day preached on receiving the Holy Ghost. He seemed to have more fire in his belly than the congregation necessarily wanted. They sang the old hymnal "I've Never Been Sorry" and the pastor's eldest daughter sang "I'll Be Waiting at the River" on an acoustic guitar.

The food they laid out for homecoming was good too. Very good.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Well, on the face of it, we'd say they were Holiness because they are typically conservative in dress, behavior, and conduct.

Considering their denomination, however, they take the Wesleyan view on entire sanctification and believe in living a life of Holiness unto the Lord. Of course, not all self-identifying Holiness Baptists hold the same view or standard as to what Holiness is or is not.

Not all Holiness Baptists are receptive of the Holy Ghost as I understand it. There are some that are apparently had against speaking in tongues. Naturally, all of them are Trinitarian, but some of I've came across are hard against Jesus Name.
Old 05-24-2021, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Flame View Post
Well, on the face of it, we'd say they were Holiness because they are typically conservative in dress, behavior, and conduct.

Considering their denomination, however, they take the Wesleyan view on entire sanctification and believe in living a life of Holiness unto the Lord. Of course, not all self-identifying Holiness Baptists hold the same view or standard as to what Holiness is or is not.

Not all Holiness Baptists are receptive of the Holy Ghost as I understand it. There are some that are apparently had against speaking in tongues. Naturally, all of them are Trinitarian, but some of I've came across are hard against Jesus Name.

In my experience, this about sums it up. Basically Baptist in doctrine with modesty standards.
Old 05-24-2021, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

I'm not sure, but are they found predominantly in the South?