Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-25-2021, 01:55 PM
Not riding the train

David’s stature?

Question.

If David was a puny little boy, why would King Saul want him to wear his armor to fight Goliath? David said he didn’t have time to prove it, indicating he could wear it, but wasn’t comfortable on his first time out.

Saul was head and shoulders above others. If that’s the case, then David couldn’t have been as young or as small as some have described.

What say you?
Old 06-25-2021, 09:44 PM
New User

Re: David’s stature?

How old was David when anointed by the prophet? How old was he when he slayed the giant?
Old 06-25-2021, 09:45 PM
New User

Hi, PO!
Old 06-26-2021, 05:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Question.

If David was a puny little boy, why would King Saul want him to wear his armor to fight Goliath? David said he didn’t have time to prove it, indicating he could wear it, but wasn’t comfortable on his first time out.

Saul was head and shoulders above others. If that’s the case, then David couldn’t have been as young or as small as some have described.

What say you?
The Bible says that David was a youth. I think that would mean probably mid to late teens. He was also described as a stripling by Goliath, which is consistent with someone who is not yet a mature man. I don’t know of anything to indicate that he was not an alpha male though. I believe he was.

Another interesting side note is that Jonathan and David were great friends. It is often implied that they were of about the same age. They weren’t. Jonathan was much older. In fact he was probably old enough to be David’s father.
Old 06-26-2021, 12:16 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
How old was David when anointed by the prophet? How old was he when he slayed the giant?
I only read that he was about 20 years old.

Quote:
Hi, PO!
Hey! Hope all is well!
Old 06-26-2021, 12:29 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
The Bible says that David was a youth. I think that would mean probably mid to late teens. He was also described as a stripling by Goliath, which is consistent with someone who is not yet a mature man. I don’t know of anything to indicate that he was not an alpha male though. I believe he was.
Yes, a stripling compared to Goliath. Much I recall hearing was that he was a stripling to everyone else as well. He couldn’t have been if Saul offered his armor. It means that Saul sized up David as being tall enough and big enough to wear it.

The NIV in I Samuel 17:42 seems to indicate that Goliath looked him over and was jealous of his health and good looks.

Quote:
Another interesting side note is that Jonathan and David were great friends. It is often implied that they were of about the same age. They weren’t. Jonathan was much older. In fact he was probably old enough to be David’s father.
I didn’t know that about the age difference. Jonathan was wise to see that God wanted David as King and did all he could to make that happen. I can see why David could say that Jonathan’s love for him was wonderful (pala-properly perhaps to separate, that is distinguish) surpassing the love (affection) of a woman.

It was as close as, but a separate type of affection that didn’t involve sexuality.
Old 06-26-2021, 07:07 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Question.

What say you?
1 Samuel 16:11-19 KJV
And Samuel said unto Jesse, Are here all thy children? And he said, There remaineth yet the youngest, and, behold, he keepeth the sheep. And Samuel said unto Jesse, Send and fetch him: for we will not sit down till he come hither. [12] And he sent, and brought him in. Now he was ruddy, and withal of a beautiful countenance, and goodly to look to. And the Lord said, Arise, anoint him: for this is he. [13] Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the midst of his brethren: and the Spirit of the Lord came upon David from that day forward. So Samuel rose up, and went to Ramah. [14] But the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the Lord troubled him. [15] And Saul's servants said unto him, Behold now, an evil spirit from God troubleth thee. [16] Let our lord now command thy servants, which are before thee, to seek out a man, who is a cunning player on an harp: and it shall come to pass, when the evil spirit from God is upon thee, that he shall play with his hand, and thou shalt be well. [17] And Saul said unto his servants, Provide me now a man that can play well, and bring him to me. [18] Then answered one of the servants, and said, Behold, I have seen a son of Jesse the Beth-lehemite, that is cunning in playing, and a mighty valiant man, and a man of war, and prudent in matters, and a comely person, and the Lord is with him. [19] Wherefore Saul sent messengers unto Jesse, and said, Send me David thy son, which is with the sheep.

David wasn't a little puny kid when he was anointed by Samuel and entered Saul's court.

1 Samuel 16:21 KJV
And David came to Saul, and stood before him: and he loved him greatly; and he became his armourbearer.

He was immediately appointed as the king's armourbearer. This is not some little kid, no matter what Veggie Tales says.

According to Numbers 1:3, 20 years old was the minimum age for military service. David was identified as a "man of war" prior to killing Goliath, and afterwards was immediately placed in charge of a battalion (1000 soldiers). If he was under 20 it is highly likely somebody (especially Samuel the prophet of God and champion of "obedience is better than sacrifice") would have objected that he was not yet eligible for military service.

It is thus most likely that he was 20-21 years old when he killed Goliath. Such persons were often called "youths" (as was Absalom even though he was definitely older than 20). Goliath calling him a "boy" would just be an example of a giant warrior insulting a young challenger.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 06-26-2021, 07:12 PM
New User

The things we overlook. Good work, E.
Old 06-26-2021, 07:55 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
The things we overlook. Good work, E.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 06-26-2021, 08:03 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Edit:

1 Samuel 18:5 KJV
And David went out whithersoever Saul sent him, and behaved himself wisely: and Saul set him over the men of war, and he was accepted in the sight of all the people, and also in the sight of Saul's servants.

It doesn't say he appointed David as captain over 1000 men. It says he was put over "the men of war." Sounds like he was made some kind of field marshall or something.

Edit 2: I can't find where Goliath called him a "boy":

1 Samuel 17:42-44 KJV
And when the Philistine looked about, and saw David, he disdained him: for he was but a youth, and ruddy, and of a fair countenance. [43] And the Philistine said unto David, Am I a dog, that thou comest to me with staves? And the Philistine cursed David by his gods. [44] And the Philistine said to David, Come to me, and I will give thy flesh unto the fowls of the air, and to the beasts of the field.