Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!


Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
change the doctrine, christian, dead, former united pentecostal, lukewarm

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-29-2010, 07:21 PM
Jermyn Davidson's Avatar
Jermyn Davidson Jermyn Davidson is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In His Hands
Posts: 13,911
Change The Doctrine, Lose The Exuberance?

Ok, with the exception of one church, why is it that whenever I ask questions about churches that were once 3-stepper but are now not, I always find out that their services are no longer exuberant?


Is it that these folks who change never thought the running and leaping and expressions of praise and joy were ever necessary or even valid in the first place?


THE COGIC churches I have visited are all "1-stepper" and Trinitarian in doctrine and yet you never hear of a dead COGIC church.

Many of the Church of God Christians I've met down through the years also attest that their services are usually exuberant.


So what gives with the others?


Why believe in the Holy Ghost and go to the First Church of the Refrigerator?

Why allow your services to become like that?
__________________
"The choices we make reveal the true nature of our character."
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Baron1710's Avatar
Baron1710 Baron1710 is offline
Cross-examine it!


 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orcutt, CA.
Posts: 6,736
Re: Change The Doctrine, Lose The Exuberance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
Ok, with the exception of one church, why is it that whenever I ask questions about churches that were once 3-stepper but are now not, I always find out that their services are no longer exuberant?


Is it that these folks who change never thought the running and leaping and expressions of praise and joy were ever necessary or even valid in the first place?


THE COGIC churches I have visited are all "1-stepper" and Trinitarian in doctrine and yet you never hear of a dead COGIC church.

Many of the Church of God Christians I've met down through the years also attest that their services are usually exuberant.


So what gives with the others?


Why believe in the Holy Ghost and go to the First Church of the Refrigerator?

Why allow your services to become like that?
I doubt there was any aisle running on the Day pf Pentecost. I don't need to run, jump, scream, spin in circles, break dance, or any of the rest of it to worship. In fact I find most of it rather silly and contrived. It is more often than not emotionalism rather than God in my opinion.
__________________
"Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow." ~Aesop
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Jermyn Davidson's Avatar
Jermyn Davidson Jermyn Davidson is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In His Hands
Posts: 13,911
Re: Change The Doctrine, Lose The Exuberance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron1710 View Post
I doubt there was any aisle running on the Day pf Pentecost. I don't need to run, jump, scream, spin in circles, break dance, or any of the rest of it to worship. In fact I find most of it rather silly and contrived. It is more often than not emotionalism rather than God in my opinion.
Baron,

Do you really think that most of the leaping, dancing and demonstrative praise the people offer to God is not valid?

I don't want to put words in your mouth, so are you saying that it's simply not necessary?

Are you saying that demonstrative praise and worship is phony even?
__________________
"The choices we make reveal the true nature of our character."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Baron1710's Avatar
Baron1710 Baron1710 is offline
Cross-examine it!


 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orcutt, CA.
Posts: 6,736
Re: Change The Doctrine, Lose The Exuberance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
Baron,

Do you really think that most of the leaping, dancing and demonstrative praise the people offer to God is not valid?

I don't want to put words in your mouth, so are you saying that it's simply not necessary?

Are you saying that demonstrative praise and worship is phony even?
Valid? It is a valid way to exercise.

Worship is not about any of those things.

Can you give me one NT example of worship that looks like this?
__________________
"Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow." ~Aesop
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-29-2010, 07:58 PM
Jermyn Davidson's Avatar
Jermyn Davidson Jermyn Davidson is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In His Hands
Posts: 13,911
Re: Change The Doctrine, Lose The Exuberance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron1710 View Post
Valid? It is a valid way to exercise.

Worship is not about any of those things.

Can you give me one NT example of worship that looks like this?
No.

But I know there are plentry of references to dancing, shouting in praise to God. Even walking. I can't remember a scripture reference to running in praise and worship, but I do know that the Holy Spirit moved on Elijah and he ran under the power of God.
__________________
"The choices we make reveal the true nature of our character."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-29-2010, 08:00 PM
Baron1710's Avatar
Baron1710 Baron1710 is offline
Cross-examine it!


 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orcutt, CA.
Posts: 6,736
Re: Change The Doctrine, Lose The Exuberance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
No.

But I know there are plentry of references to dancing, shouting in praise to God. Even walking. I can't remember a scripture reference to running in praise and worship, but I do know that the Holy Spirit moved on Elijah and he ran under the power of God.
How many of these are anything more than what took place in their culture already?
__________________
"Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow." ~Aesop
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-29-2010, 08:01 PM
Jermyn Davidson's Avatar
Jermyn Davidson Jermyn Davidson is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In His Hands
Posts: 13,911
Re: Change The Doctrine, Lose The Exuberance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron1710 View Post
Valid? It is a valid way to exercise.

Worship is not about any of those things.

Can you give me one NT example of worship that looks like this?

What does NT praise look like?

What does NT worship look like?


What about the Quakers-- would you suggest their experiences were a sham too? (if that is what you are saying about demonstrative praise and worship that happens in many Apostolic churches)
__________________
"The choices we make reveal the true nature of our character."
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-29-2010, 08:03 PM
Baron1710's Avatar
Baron1710 Baron1710 is offline
Cross-examine it!


 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orcutt, CA.
Posts: 6,736
Re: Change The Doctrine, Lose The Exuberance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
What does NT praise look like?

What does NT worship look like?


What about the Quakers-- would you suggest their experiences were a sham too? (if that is what you are saying about demonstrative praise and worship that happens in many Apostolic churches)
Whatever it looked like, I am pretty sure it did not resemble a modern Pentecostal service.
__________________
"Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow." ~Aesop
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-30-2010, 02:49 PM
El Predicador El Predicador is offline
Silent No More


 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 473
Re: Change The Doctrine, Lose The Exuberance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1710 View Post
i doubt there was any aisle running on the day pf pentecost. I don't need to run, jump, scream, spin in circles, break dance, or any of the rest of it to worship. In fact i find most of it rather silly and contrived. It is more often than not emotionalism rather than god in my opinion.
Yankee
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Baron1710's Avatar
Baron1710 Baron1710 is offline
Cross-examine it!


 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orcutt, CA.
Posts: 6,736
Re: Change The Doctrine, Lose The Exuberance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Predicador View Post
Yankee
Well if being a Yankee means I don't hit the quote button and then change things within the quote, then I will take it as a complement.
__________________
"Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow." ~Aesop
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laura Waycaster God Don't Ever Change Change. Scott Hutchinson The Music Room 7 02-12-2009 08:27 PM
Here's Why Obama Will Lose deacon blues Political Talk 2 09-21-2008 05:58 AM
“None of us can change our yesterdays but all of us can change our tomorrows.” Felicity Fellowship Hall 15 10-11-2007 08:36 PM
Now You'll Always Lose at Checkers SDG The D.A.'s Office 0 07-19-2007 11:40 PM

 
User Infomation
Your Avatar

Latest Threads
- by Barb

Help Support AFF!

Advertisement




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.