Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
"christian", "gospel", "music", "salvation", "tv"

Old 06-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

Christian/Gospel Music

If a person who says they are a Christian but doesn't listen to Christian/Gospel music much at all, are they really a Christian? Are they really saved?

This person asked me, "Well is everything on tv you watch Christ-oriented? What's the difference?"

Is there a difference?

I had no response and remembered the days when I did not have and did not want a tv in my barracks. I feel quite foolish.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:59 PM
I do what's right in...

Re: Christian/Gospel Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1399 View Post
If a person who says they are a Christian but doesn't listen to Christian/Gospel music much at all, are they really a Christian? Are they really saved?

This person asked me, "Well is everything on tv you watch Christ-oriented? What's the difference?"

Is there a difference?

I had no response and remembered the days when I did not have and did not want a tv in my barracks. I feel quite foolish.
It's funny, but back in the day when I was well, as Christian. I wouldn't listen to secular music, or read secular books. But did watch "secular" movies. (I was too "holy" to have a TV )

We were actually taught in church that secular music was wrong. We were specifically told that Celine Dion was "bedroom music"

BTW ~ I listen to Christian music very rarely now. Not that it means anything, because I don't call myself a Christian either

~Mark Twain
Old 06-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Live like it.

I try to let the Word be my guide in was music I listen to, what shows I watch, what books I read.
As long as you're keeping your relationship with God in mind in whatever you do and wherever you go, you'll probably be making the right choices.

To say all secular things (tv, internet, radio, movies, books, music) are sinful, isn't being truthful... but to say that many secular things can be harmful... that's a safer statement.

I don't always get this right, but I think the scripture is pretty clear on what we should (and should not) put into our minds.
Philippians 4:8

Psalm 19:14
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
My Countdown Counting down to: Spring...
April Showers Bring May Flowers!
Old 06-16-2008, 03:03 PM
I do what's right in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. LPW View Post
I try to let the Word be my guide in was music I listen to, what shows I watch, what books I read.
As long as you're keeping your relationship with God in mind in whatever you do and wherever you go, you'll probably be making the right choices.

To say all secular things (tv, internet, radio, movies, books, music) are sinful, isn't being truthful... but to say that many secular things can be harmful... that's a safer statement.

I don't always get this right, but I think the scripture is pretty clear on what we should (and should not) put into our minds.
Do you really believe that God intends us to separate everything into Sacred and Secular?

I think things are what they are. I don't believe in cutting yourself off from the culture around it. Sure, when you are believe in God, your world view is going to be different. But if you aren't going to participate in your world, you might as well go live on a commpound.

~Mark Twain
Old 06-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Rebel with a cause.

Quote:

I think you've been putting some bad stuff into your mind, Sis, it's all warped and pro-Pittsburgh Penguins, anti-Red Wings, and just horrible stuff......I've been praying hard for your deliverance. Do you feel it?
"Many people view their relationship with God like a "color by number" picture. It's easier to let someone else define the boundaries, tell them which blanks to fill in, and what color to use than it is for them to take a blank canvas and seek inspiration from the Source in order to paint their own masterpiece"
Old 06-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Strange in a Strange Land...

Because someone does not listen to Christian music doesn't mean they are not a Christian or even said. IF a person proclaims to be a Christian yet listens to anit-Christian music-by this I mean songs that speak against God- then I would question their motives, but music doesn't always make the man.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Live like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Own Eyes View Post
Do you really believe that God intends us to separate everything into Sacred and Secular?

I think things are what they are. I don't believe in cutting yourself off from the culture around it. Sure, when you are believe in God, your world view is going to be different. But if you aren't going to participate in your world, you might as well go live on a commpound.

I think common sense will tell us that... God doesn't need to.
Obviously when you're singing about your smokin' hot husbands rear end, you're no wear near Sacred... (wellllll... some might debate that lol)

I don't believe in cutting myself off either.
I do believe that we are in the world and not of it.
I participate in my world as much as I can until I feel it's infringing, hindering or harming my walk with God.
I am really not at home here anymore.

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Live like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Phelps View Post
I think you've been putting some bad stuff into your mind, Sis, it's all warped and pro-Pittsburgh Penguins, anti-Red Wings, and just horrible stuff......I've been praying hard for your deliverance. Do you feel it?
I feel the urge to go to a BoSox game this summer.

I think I will.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Cross-examine it!

Quote:
I feel the urge to go to a BoSox game this summer.

I think I will.
What if they play worldly music????
Old 06-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Live like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron1710 View Post
What if they play worldly music????
What if they do?

Where in my above posts did you see me say secular (vs Christian or gospel or "sacred") music was all bad?

Sometimes I wonder if some of you are even reading what is written or just assuming what is meant because you know someone is more conservative.