Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-18-2016, 10:01 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Re: Health, Wellness, and Nutrition Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Wow! I would be over 6 ft tall?!?!

Everything about lifting is what are you looking to do. I'm old so I lift to maintain my tendon, joint, bone, and muscle health. We have a few lifters in the church, and one who is going to college for Physical Health. Overdoing it is primarily based on the individual. I do squats at least (I know FlamingZword eats kumquats for his training) but I do squats four times a week, plus farmer's walk almost everyday Especially when you have to carry bags of feed that are 50 to 80 lbs, but way heavier when you use the dumbbells in the farmer's walk. I always push form, and I always enforce stopping an individual who will keep doing reps when he loses form. Now, that will not only waste your time, but may hurt you for ever.
Form, shmorm, just lift HEAVY!

lol, just kidding, although I've known some guys like that. And yes they were STRONG... until (for example) one of them blew out a calf trying to do a 500 plus pound seated calf raise. He just wrapped it in duck tape and called it good. Course he quit doing calf raises, though...

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 01-18-2016, 10:44 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Form, shmorm, just lift HEAVY!

lol, just kidding, although I've known some guys like that. And yes they were STRONG... until (for example) one of them blew out a calf trying to do a 500 plus pound seated calf raise. He just wrapped it in duck tape and called it good. Course he quit doing calf raises, though...
There is really no benefit from doing super heavy seated calf raises.
You do half of your max lift anyway when you are training, so I discourage anyone from doing High School lifts (also known as Ego Lifts) because of serious issues which may occur. Also discourage going too light, especially a leg extensions. Due to the issues some have with whipping up the weight when too light on the leg extensions. Legs and glutes are the bread butter of working out, because by working them you actually help stabilize your hormonal balance. I don't believe in testosterone replacement, I believe it causes major issues, and I know some will get upset with that, but its the truth. Exercise, eating properly, eating ANIMAL PRODUCTS, and taking vitamin D3, men and ladies, will bring everything together just fine.

Oh, and prayer, no prayer no lift, no results.

No prayer life, means no life at all.

All the above is a waste of time if someone isn't staying in prayer.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:51 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
There is really no benefit from doing super heavy seated calf raises.
You do half of your max lift anyway when you are training, so I discourage anyone from doing High School lifts (also known as Ego Lifts) because of serious issues which may occur. Also discourage going too light, especially a leg extensions. Due to the issues some have with whipping up the weight when too light on the leg extensions. Legs and glutes are the bread butter of working out, because by working them you actually help stabilize your hormonal balance. I don't believe in testosterone replacement, I believe it causes major issues, and I know some will get upset with that, but its the truth. Exercise, eating properly, eating ANIMAL PRODUCTS, and taking vitamin D3, men and ladies, will bring everything together just fine.

Oh, and prayer, no prayer no lift, no results.

No prayer life, means no life at all.

All the above is a waste of time if someone isn't staying in prayer.
Amen on the prayer!

I believe there are only a few lifts that are necessary, the rest are a waste of time and or downright dangerous.

Squats, deadlifts, clean and press, upright rows or bent over rows, pull ups (calisthenic), push ups, bench presses, crunches/sit ups are pretty much all a person needs. Isolation exercises are unnatural and put too much strain on joints (for example, leg extensions create dangerous shear forces on the knee, so I've been told).

Biceps get a better workout with deadlifts, cleans, rows, and pull ups etc than dumbbell curls - unless a person is going for looks and not functional strength, that is.

The body is a unit - it has to work together, not each part in isolation. Therefore, compound exercises, whole body exercises, are better, in my book. Exercise is training... training for something else. And that something else involves the whole body operating together as a whole, not individual muscles doing their individual thing. That's why it's a BODY. I'm sure there's a sermon in there somewhere.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 01-18-2016, 10:57 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

I agree with you, but I still curl.

Bread and butter is deadlifts, squats, bench, and over head press.

I agree with everything you said, but I have been doing leg extensions since I was 12, no knee problems.

Leg extensions don't cause shear to the knee. Individuals who have issues use too little weight and slam their legs into over extension. This isn't a race, so slow as you go with the right amount of weight.

Only issue I ever had with my knee was putting it through a Harley Davidson fatbob tank in an accident.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:01 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
I agree with you, but I still curl.

Bread and butter is deadlifts, squats, bench, and over head press.

I agree with everything you said, but I have been doing leg extensions since I was 12, no knee problems.

Leg extensions don't cause shear to the knee. Individuals who have issues use too little weight and slam their legs into over extension. This isn't a race, so slow as you go with the right amount of weight.

Only issue I ever had with my knee was putting it through a Harley Davidson fatbob tank in an accident.
Everybody does curls, even those of us who talk bad about them.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:03 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Everybody does curls, even those of us who talk bad about them.

Just take MSM, silicon supplement called JarroSil, and Glucosamine.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:04 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

http://www.jarrow.com/product/491/JarroSil
Old 01-18-2016, 11:11 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Usually the only supplements I ever got into were red meat (eat the fat with the meat, all of it!), a fruit before workout for a cheap carb fix, and creatine/protein powder shake afterwards. My head starts swimming reading about all the supplements and all the claims and counter claims etc...

It's why I gave up reading exercise magazines long ago. I see no need to take advice on exercise from people who are juicing (and I ain't talking fruit juice, either). They take twenty different pills and drink 15 different shakes, supersets for 4-6 hours a day 4-5 days a week at 95% 1RM, deadlifting 500 pounds, 1000 pound shoulder shrugs, 100 different isolation exercises, oh and they look like the winner of last year's Mr Chernobyl contest.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:33 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Usually the only supplements I ever got into were red meat (eat the fat with the meat, all of it!), a fruit before workout for a cheap carb fix, and creatine/protein powder shake afterwards. My head starts swimming reading about all the supplements and all the claims and counter claims etc...

It's why I gave up reading exercise magazines long ago. I see no need to take advice on exercise from people who are juicing (and I ain't talking fruit juice, either). They take twenty different pills and drink 15 different shakes, supersets for 4-6 hours a day 4-5 days a week at 95% 1RM, deadlifting 500 pounds, 1000 pound shoulder shrugs, 100 different isolation exercises, oh and they look like the winner of last year's Mr Chernobyl contest.
Creatine doesn't work without Beta Alanine, also Creatine needs to be taken in warm to hot water making sure it is totally dissolved. Magazines are advertiszines and the articles are paid for by the manufacturers. I'm old skool so, taking all the different proteins, pre workouts, and supplements are a waste as you just posted. Furthermore taking testosterone, or anabolic steroids, or human growth hormone, can cause issues that may never ever be reversed.

Doing ungodly things to get results is a bad road to go down no matter what you are trying to achieve. Sometimes ego causes people to have goals in exercise that marches them right outside the realm of God.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:09 AM
On the road less traveled

The best exercise I get on a regular basis is walking/hiking in the mountains. I also do aerobic exercises several times a week. I probably could add some weights to my regimen, not a bad idea. But... I too have seen people get on such a serious exercise regimen that it becomes their god, and takes them down a path away from the Lord. I believe there has to be a balance in all things we do.