Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!


Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
conscience, entertainment, fantasy, holiness, video games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-08-2015, 01:30 PM
BeardlessBob's Avatar
BeardlessBob BeardlessBob is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 15
Games, Books & Entertainment

So, let me start off by saying that I've been Apostolic for coming up on four years.
I've got a lot of stuff I've always enjoyed as entertainment about which my conscience has been gnawing at me as of late. The past couple years really.
I threw away four-hundred dollars worth of fantasy themed books as well as some games I thought may be displeasing to God.
A few years later now, I find myself collecting more. Conscience not slack, but feel unable to keep from making little purchases here and there. Mostly digital things, not hard copy.
Right now I'm on Steam (a game platform software) and I'm looking at this game called Fallout. It's a post apocalyptic survival/roleplay style game. It's rated Mature, primarily because of blood and gore, plus a few other things that from my experience can be avoided if you don't want to play as a "bad guy".
I haven't bought it yet, for my conscience sake.
Still, I really don't know how to kick this. Part of me loves these things and feels that as much as some of the content is "wrong" I know my intents are not to do wrong. The stories, characters, the open worlds to explore, I love these things... but the other part of me feels I'm dishonoring God by enjoying it and that I'm a fool for partaking in something obviously produced in the world.

Idk, I just want the thoughts of my brothers and sisters.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-08-2015, 01:36 PM
Evang.Benincasa's Avatar
Evang.Benincasa Evang.Benincasa is offline
Unvaxxed Pureblood too


 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 37,905
Re: Games, Books & Entertainment

I don't know what it is your doing, because I know nothing about gaming. There is a brother who comes to a Bible study we have in downtown Fort Lauderdale who says he witnesses through World of Warcraft. Sounds kind of odd, but who am I to judge it, when I have no idea what it is exactly. You on the other hand sound like you are well versed in this area, where I am not, so can you explain the pros and cons of what you are doing to help me understand what exactly you are involved in? If you have the urge to kick the habit, you are the one feeling the conviction, or if not conviction you are seeing something that maybe others may not be seeing. So, proceed, spoon feed me on this?
__________________
“The cry, Give me television and hamburgers, but don't bother me with the responsibilities of liberty.” — Aldous Huxley
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-09-2015, 01:26 PM
ApostolicKitty's Avatar
ApostolicKitty ApostolicKitty is offline
Retired Ninja


 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 568
Re: Games, Books & Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardlessBob View Post
So, let me start off by saying that I've been Apostolic for coming up on four years.
I've got a lot of stuff I've always enjoyed as entertainment about which my conscience has been gnawing at me as of late. The past couple years really.
I threw away four-hundred dollars worth of fantasy themed books as well as some games I thought may be displeasing to God.
A few years later now, I find myself collecting more. Conscience not slack, but feel unable to keep from making little purchases here and there. Mostly digital things, not hard copy.
Right now I'm on Steam (a game platform software) and I'm looking at this game called Fallout. It's a post apocalyptic survival/roleplay style game. It's rated Mature, primarily because of blood and gore, plus a few other things that from my experience can be avoided if you don't want to play as a "bad guy".
I haven't bought it yet, for my conscience sake.
Still, I really don't know how to kick this. Part of me loves these things and feels that as much as some of the content is "wrong" I know my intents are not to do wrong. The stories, characters, the open worlds to explore, I love these things... but the other part of me feels I'm dishonoring God by enjoying it and that I'm a fool for partaking in something obviously produced in the world.

Idk, I just want the thoughts of my brothers and sisters.
Prayer and fasting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
I don't know what it is your doing, because I know nothing about gaming. There is a brother who comes to a Bible study we have in downtown Fort Lauderdale who says he witnesses through World of Warcraft. Sounds kind of odd, but who am I to judge it, when I have no idea what it is exactly. You on the other hand sound like you are well versed in this area, where I am not, so can you explain the pros and cons of what you are doing to help me understand what exactly you are involved in? If you have the urge to kick the habit, you are the one feeling the conviction, or if not conviction you are seeing something that maybe others may not be seeing. So, proceed, spoon feed me on this?
You mean... World of Witchcraft.
__________________
Meow for now...


The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise. - Psalm 51:17

Jude 21 Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. 22 And of some have compassion , making a difference : 23 And others save with fear, pulling [them] out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-09-2015, 02:45 PM
TJJJ's Avatar
TJJJ TJJJ is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,572
Re: Games, Books & Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostolicKitty View Post
Prayer and fasting.



You mean... World of Witchcraft.
You sure got that right.

World of Warcraft is the spawn of Dungeons and Dragons. Just in digital form.

That stuff is pure witchcraft pure and simple.

We spent some time casting devils out of a woman who got possessed when playing that W of W. Bad stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-09-2015, 03:34 PM
ApostolicKitty's Avatar
ApostolicKitty ApostolicKitty is offline
Retired Ninja


 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 568
Re: Games, Books & Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJJ View Post
You sure got that right.

World of Warcraft is the spawn of Dungeons and Dragons. Just in digital form.

That stuff is pure witchcraft pure and simple.

We spent some time casting devils out of a woman who got possessed when playing that W of W. Bad stuff.

Thank God for deliverance!
__________________
Meow for now...


The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise. - Psalm 51:17

Jude 21 Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. 22 And of some have compassion , making a difference : 23 And others save with fear, pulling [them] out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-09-2015, 04:50 PM
Servant's <3 Servant's <3 is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 266
Re: Games, Books & Entertainment

While I readily admit video games can be a waste of time and they don't help your spiritual walk, they are not witchcraft. World of Warcraft is not witchcraft. I hope you all were being sarcastic.

I play video games from time to time. There is nothing inherently wrong or immoral about playing video games. It is a form of entertainment and just like any entertainment one can go overboard and spend/waste too much time doing it. Video games are no more harmful than TV. It has been proven that some of them are far more educational and beneficial than watching TV as well.

Some video games are inappropriate and have a vast amount of inappropriate material in them that can hinder you. Not all video games are created equal.

As for Fallout, I am fully aware of what fallout is and what it entails... it isn't my particular cup of tea.... If the blood and gore can be turned off I would definitely advise doing so... I would not say Fallout is inherently evil although there are some things in it that to be honest I would very much question if a parent should let their child play it.... (then again I'm not a parent so I cannot speak from that standpoint) the game has a mature rating for a reason other than blood and gore... I'm somewhat confident there is cursing in it.

As my youth pastor would say, you put garbage in what do you expect to come out?

If you feel this game could be a problem for you, by all means do not play it. Some people can get addicted to video games or can be adversely affected by content in said game hence people should err on the side of caution.

But, no I would not say video games are inherently evil.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-09-2015, 04:52 PM
Evang.Benincasa's Avatar
Evang.Benincasa Evang.Benincasa is offline
Unvaxxed Pureblood too


 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 37,905
Re: Games, Books & Entertainment

Dungeon and Dragons? World of Witchcraft? I live in Fort Lauderdale, games are the least their problems down here.

I wish God called me to the land of cornbread and butter milk, or honey butter and scones.

Someone has to preach in Nineveh.
__________________
“The cry, Give me television and hamburgers, but don't bother me with the responsibilities of liberty.” — Aldous Huxley
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-09-2015, 10:11 AM
KeptByTheWord's Avatar
KeptByTheWord KeptByTheWord is offline
On the road less traveled


 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: On a mountain... somewhere
Posts: 8,368
Re: Games, Books & Entertainment

I am guessing this was a "drive-by" post... lol
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-09-2015, 11:33 AM
Evang.Benincasa's Avatar
Evang.Benincasa Evang.Benincasa is offline
Unvaxxed Pureblood too


 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 37,905
Re: Games, Books & Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
I am guessing this was a "drive-by" post... lol
I guess he wants to keep his post numbers low?
__________________
“The cry, Give me television and hamburgers, but don't bother me with the responsibilities of liberty.” — Aldous Huxley
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-09-2015, 12:10 PM
KeptByTheWord's Avatar
KeptByTheWord KeptByTheWord is offline
On the road less traveled


 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: On a mountain... somewhere
Posts: 8,368
Re: Games, Books & Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
I guess he wants to keep his post numbers low?
Lol... it seems to me that when people come here and post their problem on their first or second visit, they rarely come back. Don't know why, maybe we scare them off, I don't know, lol!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Few Gifs For Your Entertainment seekerman Fellowship Hall 1 11-22-2013 11:04 PM
Entertainment:How does it affect you? onefaith2 Fellowship Hall 16 12-23-2011 11:57 AM
What kind of entertainment is good for the soul live4him Fellowship Hall 65 12-09-2010 09:02 PM
The TV Issue: More Than Entertainment deacon blues Fellowship Hall 3 08-12-2007 05:55 PM

 
User Infomation
Your Avatar

Latest Threads
- by shag

Help Support AFF!

Advertisement




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.