Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-03-2021, 07:05 AM
Registered Member

Re: Basic Standards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
You forgot no pagan holidays.
No public schools.
Those are both good.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:35 AM
Registered Member

Good points Esaias,

You reminded me of other verse like: Genesis 35:1-4, and Ex 32:2-4, 33:4-6.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by consapente89 View Post
Almost forgot the most important...no voting democrat!!
Don't leave out all men should have beards to keep men's face from being lady like.
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.

Last edited by Truthseeker; 02-03-2021 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Regarding the prohibition against jewelry.

Nowhere do either Peter or Paul identify wearing jewelry is a sin. How could they? There was no commandment in the law prohibiting jewelry in all cases whatsoever.

However, it is expressly stated by both apostles that women ought to adorn themselves with spiritual virtues and not material ornaments. Does nobody think to ask, "Upon what basis do they make this teaching?"

Isaiah 3:16-24 KJV
Moreover the Lord saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet: [17] Therefore the Lord will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the Lord will discover their secret parts. [18] In that day the Lord will take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments about their feet, and their cauls, and their round tires like the moon, [19] The chains, and the bracelets, and the mufflers, [20] The bonnets, and the ornaments of the legs, and the headbands, and the tablets, and the earrings, [21] The rings, and nose jewels, [22] The changeable suits of apparel, and the mantles, and the wimples, and the crisping pins, [23] The glasses, and the fine linen, and the hoods, and the vails. [24] And it shall come to pass, that instead of sweet smell there shall be stink; and instead of a girdle a rent; and instead of well set hair baldness; and instead of a stomacher a girding of sackcloth; and burning instead of beauty.

The prophet identifies two facts. First, the women of Israel were well-decorated with all manner of finery, wealth and prosperity being on full display. Second, the women of Israel, like society at large, were wanton and rebellious against God. So their finery had become an insult to God. In response, God promises them poverty and devastation and an end to the nice life. They will go from riches to rags as a result of divine judgment against sin.

Now consider 1st century Roman Imperial times. The same conditions prevail: all the high society and finery and wealth of man on display in all ostentation, while sin and wickedness and rebellion rule the hearts. The church, being literally a counter cultural movement against such a satanic culture, is warned not to follow the worldlings, not to be like them. Plain, simple, modest apparel is called for. Because if a sister wears a gold necklace she's going to hell? No, but rather because we are ADORNING ourselves for the world to see, and our appearance, conversation, and lifestyle should SAY something to the world.

The issue isn't about "Will someone go to hell over this or that?" The issue is "How should the church present itself to the world at large? What message are we sending?" I think it is incredibly small minded for modern Christians to only be focused on "me, myself, and I", the unholy trinitarianism of modern religion. Because the Christian life isn't all about what YOU "get to do, as you please."

Imagine a husband telling his wife "I think you shouldn't dress a certain way, it sends the wrong message, let's agree to do things another way" and she IMMEDIATELY thinks "So are you saying you will divorce me if I don't comply?" And imagine if that's ALL she can wrap her little mind around? Do you imagine that's a happy, healthy marriage? Perhaps the man will find himself regretting ever marrying such a self centered boorish woman!

Yet so many professors of religion seem to think and act the same way as that woman, when it comes to apostolic teaching. Kind of like Pharisees, who strained out gnats but swallowed camels.
I agree with you here in principle. However, I do not see a wedding ring or wearing great grandma's broach as necessarily being gaudy or equating to "adornment" that would be viewed in the same right as how the women of Israel were behaving.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

Like me toss mine in there for the rest of you.

For the Apostolic men:
*Short hair
*Clean shaven
*Pants
*Elbows covered
*No jewelry

For the Apostolic women:
*Uncut hair
*Skirts, mid-calf or lower
*Elbows covered
*No jewelry
*No makeup
*No toe/finger polish

For both the Apostolic men and women:
*Modesty in attire and attitude
*Separation in attitude, spirit, attire, and mindset from the world
*Purity of heart and mind
*A desire to pursue holiness

I want to clarify that I've meant this thread merely as a discussion of one's different views on "standards". We discuss standards a lot here on AFF, so much so that many threads get lost in the shuffle because standards take to the forefront.

So that's why I started this thread. It's a place to discuss and debate standards, even though we all know it'll leak into other threads. It's inevitable.

The standards I listed above are a combination of my personal understanding of scripture coupled with my own personal preferences. There are personal preferences that I may hold for an Apostolic man or woman, but that doesn't automatically mean that I see view an individual that doesn't uphold that standard as someone who doesn't love God. That's silly.

For example, I don't really think that short sleeves are a sin. It was one of the things that my church as always upheld (the elbows being covered preference), but I struggled with it. I'm a heavier guy and I didn't really want to submit to the sleeves conviction that I knew God was pressing on me. I rebelled against it for a long time. But I finally gave in and realized that in obeying God that it helped me get closer to Him. For my personal conviction, I typically wear long sleeve shirts. I'll occasionally wear what they call the baseball t-shirts (that are usually 3/4 length), but it is very rare.

My Father and Bonus Mom wear wedding rings and my Father wears a wrist watch everyday to work. For a long time, I struggled with bracelets, necklaces, and watches. I moved on from the watches and starting wearing a Fitbit. In my mind they were two entirely different things. Eventually, I accepted the conviction and tossed all my Fitbits, watches, necklaces, and bracelets in the trashcan.

Some issues can differ, but somethings cannot.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

Unshaven legs and armpits on women.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

Short sleeve topic on here amaze me and I have been a Christian a LONG time. Someone please tell me what is revealing or sexy about the elbows. If people have a problem with lust, I have NEVER heard of them saying, I lusted after their elbows. I haven't seen any scripture for this standard either. Some of the things we have been taught over the years are really manmade traditions and are not really sins. They are someone's idea and think it makes their members "look" more holy. The shaven or unshaven beard is also another example - where in the Word of God does it speak against it? I think we had better start having Bible scriptures for a lot of our standards.
I know of a preacher who visited his friends church and all the women had a hairdo that you could never tell if it was long or short - skinned back with a knot, he ask his friend, when did the church start allowing the women folk to have short hair, and his friend said, oh it is not short, it is just up.
We will know they are Christians by their LOVE.
Old 02-03-2021, 02:56 PM
One Thing-Phil 3:13-14

Long sleeves are best because when you raise your hands/arms there is no danger of exposing underarms (which are not sexy but unseemly)
Old 02-03-2021, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
Unshaven legs and armpits on women.
I have been threatened with that. "If you don't shave I won't shave my armpits".
Old 02-03-2021, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE JESUS View Post
Short sleeve topic on here amaze me and I have been a Christian a LONG time. Someone please tell me what is revealing or sexy about the elbows. If people have a problem with lust, I have NEVER heard of them saying, I lusted after their elbows. I haven't seen any scripture for this standard either. Some of the things we have been taught over the years are really manmade traditions and are not really sins. They are someone's idea and think it makes their members "look" more holy. The shaven or unshaven beard is also another example - where in the Word of God does it speak against it? I think we had better start having Bible scriptures for a lot of our standards.
I know of a preacher who visited his friends church and all the women had a hairdo that you could never tell if it was long or short - skinned back with a knot, he ask his friend, when did the church start allowing the women folk to have short hair, and his friend said, oh it is not short, it is just up.
We will know they are Christians by their LOVE.
Well, for me, it isn't a lust issue. For one, it is a pastoral preference at my church. Not everyone adheres to it, but the majority of those that do are doing it because they now have a personal conviction concerning the covering of their elbows. There are many people in our church, mostly men, that wear their shirts to their wrist year-round.

There isn't anything lustful about an elbow. It really is just a separation thing to me. Personally, I use to wear short sleeves everywhere expect to church. When I really started letting God convict me concerning my attire, I let go of short sleeves. I don't wear them out at all anymore. One thing I noticed was how the other men at my workplace dressed. They all wore slacks and short sleeves shirts, and so did I. I decided that by wearing long sleeve shirts year-round I could be visibly different from them. Just another form of distinction really.

Sleeves are really a personal conviction and/or preference, but personally, I'd rather the elbows be covered. It's my personal conviction and it's also kind of a pet peeve.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.