Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

View Poll Results: How many times did you ask for the Holy Ghost
1 11 30.56%
2 1 2.78%
3 2 5.56%
4 0 0%
5-10 1 2.78%
10-20 0 0%
More than 20 21 58.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2010, 04:26 PM
Mama to four little angels.

Re: How many times did you ask God for the Holy Gh

I didn't get the whole request out before I felt something change, something shift, an overwhelming, incredible difference within myself. But then I clammed up and wouldn't speak anything, at all, for a few hours.

And now, yes, I ask repeatedly to be filled, and filled again, and filled more, because I need it.

God did it for us. Out of sheer generosity he put us in right standing with himself. A pure gift. He got us out of the mess we're in and restored us to where he always wanted us to be. And he did it by means of Jesus Christ. ~Romans 3:24 from The Message
Old 05-29-2010, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

I received the infilling of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues, at the age of ten. We had a visiting evangelist, who at the close of service, asked for all who wanted to receive the Holy Ghost to come to the altar. Silly me didn't realize I was suppose to tarry and beg for the Holy Ghost. I was just a little girl who believed the Evangelist when she said it was a gift and I could have it.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Strange in a Strange Land...

I asked once when I repented and He filled me. Tongues came later on.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Accepts all friends requests

I was taught to beg for the Holy Ghost as a kid. That never actually worked for me. When I stopped begging and got away from all of the racket, I was in bed praying quietly and earnestly when what seemed like a very bright light surrounded me.

The "light" then began to close over my body - the last part "in darkness" seemed to be focused upon a specific part of my brain. When the "light" engulfed that last part of my brain I was "speaking in other tongues."

I have no rational materialistic explanation for the experience. It certainly wasn't something that I was taught to expect. It was something entirely "Other" from my own human experiences and expectations. Later in life I heard of several other similar accounts.

Last edited by pelathais; 05-29-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Strange in a Strange Land...

I have a family friend that lives back in the southeastern US. He has been seeking the HG, by evidence of speaking in tongues for 30 plus years. I believe that I have NEVER seen a more willing heart than he has. Only the Lord knows whether he actually has received the HG, but I believe he has, but has not spoken in tongues yet. I say this because this man walks in meekness and wisdom that I haven't even seen in people that hardcore tongue talkers. If the initial evidence of the HG is tongues and since he hasn't spoken in tongues some might say that since no tongues then no HG. To me I would want to ask God what's up with that? Someone SO willing for 30 years and no tongues, so no HG?? To me that is a tangile arguement as to why the HG is received without tongues being the initial evidence. Just saying.....
Old 05-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Ravaged by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog View Post
How many times did you ask God for the Holy Ghost?
The entire ideal system of "Seeking for the Holy Ghost", which never once took place in the bible, is a major sore subject for me.

It is this concept that makes me run from pentecostalism and makes me thankful for God's grace that allows me to be filled with the Holy Spirit, when I simply believe.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Christmas 2009

Seven year tarrier here!! (Or "long haired tarrier" as some like to say). LOL
I didn't know it was easy.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovie View Post
Rather than focusing on filled/full, I just think we can acknowledge the Holy Spirit is THE operative force in bringing people to Christ and unto repentance, and in our daily overcoming life in Christ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog View Post
I think its great that you are acknowledging that!
We all likely know them - those Christians who it's very evident have the power of the Holy Spirit in their lives - yet their experience has not been "Pentecostal" and they do not speak in tongues. I refrain from saying one does not have the Spirit unless they are tongue speakers.

The Holy Spirit changed my heart and life several months before I spoke in tongues for the first time at Camp Meeting.

Nevertheless it did not diminish the experience when I did receive it.

The experience of speaking in tongues happened to me on July 10th 25 years ago.

It was at the old open Campground in Westphalia, Mo.. T. F. Tenney was the Evangelist. After the sermon he invited those who wished to receive the Spirit baptism to come up front and receive the laying on of hands and prayer. As I prayed I was overwhelmed with the Spirit of God. I would describe it as a strong burning in my heart that would not be quenched, and I spoke in tongues and glorified God for quite some time.

I have experienced similar times (both prior to and post my initial tongues experience) when I did not speak in tongues at all though. Times when I knew that I was in the very real presence of God.

In conclusion, I can testify what I have experienced, yet other, genuine Christians do not have the same experience but still have a powerful testimony for Jesus.

I wholeheartedly believe the Holy Spirit is alive and well in both of our lives.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves

Last edited by Hoovie; 05-29-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Accepts all friends requests

The experience of "seeking" appears to be more rooted in the 19th Century "revival" movements than it is in any Biblical account. Presumably, the 120 were "seeking" in some manner as they waited for "the promise of the Father," but we don't have any descriptions nor accounts of exactly what they were doing.

All of our efforts are really attempts to recreate the "revival" atmosphere of the 19th Century since that is the only thing we can really touch bases with.

I'm not discounting that experience nor the "seeking" and "tarrying" that goes on. I do, however, think that it's important that we not try and stamp everyone and everything with this same pattern of experience because we will certainly miss out on the other things that God is doing to change lives.

Lacking any account of exactly what it means to "tarry" as per Acts 1 and Acts 2, it is wrong to exclude those who have not gone through the "brush arbor" and "camp meeting" revival experience from the Body of Christ. We must embrace eveything that God has authentically done and recognize as holy every vessel He has filled.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedicated Mind View Post
I sought God for 5 months before speaking in tongues.
6 Months for me. Like someone else said, it turned out to be easier than I thought, which is why some do not get it.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."