Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library
Facebook

Notices

The Library The Library for posting Articles and recommended reading.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:34 PM
Traveling the Road of Infraction ......

The Lucifer Effect

I have been reading a very interesting book, The Lucifer Effect by Phillip Zimbardo. It attempts to answer the actions of the soliders at Abu Ghraib and the prisoner abuses in Iraq.

Here are a few statements he makes concerning being influenced, see what you think about these statements:

The slogan for understanding persuasive communications is: “Who Says What to Whom, With What Effect?” That means we need to focus on the nature of the Communicator (Who), the nature of the Message (What), the intended Audience (Whom, including You), and the desired outcome of the process (What Effect).

Social Proof [Context: Consensus]

The Basics

A means to determine what is correct by finding out what other people think is correct

View behavior as more correct in a given context to the degree we see others performing it

Principle can be used to stimulate a person’s compliance by informing the individual that many other individuals have been complying (unanimous compliance and compliance by famous or authoritative people is most effective)

Provides us with a shortcut for determining how to behave – while at the same time, makes one vulnerable to persuasion experts

Most influential under two conditions:

Uncertainty – situation is ambiguous; become more likely to attend to the actions of others and accept those actions as more correct

Similarity – people are inclined to follow the lead of similar others

How It's Exploited

The Bandwagon effect – everyone who is anyone is doing it, why not YOU?

The "In Crowd" has it right, do you want them to accept you or not? So act like them

As described by C. S. Lewis in “The Inner Ring” (Chp. 12 Lucifer Effect), the power of social proof flows from a combination of our desire to be part of the special inner circle and the social manipulators who recognize this need and try to lure us into false inner circles that exploit us.

Best Defense

Reduce susceptibility to this principle by developing counterarguments for what similar people are doing, and recognizing that their actions should not form the sole basis of your own

Be aware that the others may have a biased reason for the action they are advocating

Be aware that the others may be misinformed

Remember the entire group might be wrong-headed because the leader has biased their opinions – “group think.”

Well?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

I'm really intrigued by this book. Or what it discusses anyway. I may have to borrow it from the library.
Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break into pieces. | Etienne de la Boetie

My Site
Old 05-08-2007, 10:07 PM

WHAT? No takers? No one wants to see any church parallels in this statements dealing with INFLUENCE and the INFLUENCED?
Old 05-09-2007, 08:32 AM
just lurking...

Hey! I am in the middle of this book right now! However, I am just through the rundown of the Stanford prison Experiment, and haven't progressed far enough to tackle the other stuff. Give me a week or so to finish the book, and then I will take a stab at it
Old 05-09-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michlow View Post
Hey! I am in the middle of this book right now! However, I am just through the rundown of the Stanford prison Experiment, and haven't progressed far enough to tackle the other stuff. Give me a week or so to finish the book, and then I will take a stab at it
NO! Do it NOW!

Old 05-09-2007, 08:59 AM
just lurking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymis View Post
NO! Do it NOW!

LOL, I read a bit last night, but then another book I just checked out called "A History of the wife" called my name, and I picked that one up instead. It's all about the role of the wife throughout history, starting with ancient Greece, to modern times. Very fascinating.