Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-07-2021, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

Profession of teachers in the firsts centuries

A guy from the 3rd century:
Rabban Gamaliel III. said the study of the Law without employment brings transgression (Ab. ii. 2).
The guy actually said (https://www.sefaria.org/Pirkei_Avot....all&lang2=en):
Rabban Gamaliel the son of Rabbi Judah Hanasi said: excellent is the study of the Torah when combined with a worldly occupation, for toil in them both keeps sin out of one’s mind; But [study of the] Torah which is not combined with a worldly occupation, in the end comes to be neglected and becomes the cause of sin. And all who labor with the community, should labor with them for the sake Heaven, for the merit of their forefathers sustains them (the community), and their (the forefather’s) righteousness endures for ever; And as for you, [God in such case says] I credit you with a rich reward, as if you [yourselves] had [actually] accomplished [it all].
Rabbis form different times. Hillel, for instance, died when Jesus was around 14 years old (https://jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/12494-rabbi).
The Rabbis invariably had their private occupations. The elder Hillel earned a "ṭarpe'iḳ" (τροπαικος = a half-denarius) a day as a wood-chopper, spending one-half of his earnings to gain entrance to a bet ha-midrash; Shammai was a builder (Shab. 31a); R. Joshua, who was elected nasi, a blacksmith (Ber. 28a); R. Jose, father of R. Ishmael, a tanner (Shab. 49b); Abba Hoshaiah of Ṭurya, a laundryman (Yer. B. Ḳ. x. 10); R. Ḥanina and R. Oshaya, shoemakers (Pes. 113b); Ḳarna, a wine-taster; R. Huna, a water-carrier (Ket. 105a); Abba b. Zemina, a tailor (Yer. Sanh. iii. 6); andḤisda and R. Pappa were brewers of mead (Pes. 113a). Other rabbis whose names indicate their callings are: Isaac Nappaḥa = "the smith"; R. Johanan ha-Sandalar = "the sandal-maker"; and R. Abin Naggara = "the carpenter." Rabbis were also found as merchants, but principally as agriculturists (see Artisans).
But they were definitely honored:
The Rabbis were indirectly assisted by the preference given to them in their trades and business enterprises. Thus when R. Dimi of Nehardea imported a vessel-load of dried figs, the president of the community ("resh galuta") gave orders to "hold the market" for R. Dimi (i.e., to allow him to dispose of his goods first; B. B. 22a). The rabbi had also the privilege of exemption from taxes, following the instruction of Artaxerxes, "It shall not be lawful to impose toll, tribute, or custom upon them" (Ezra vii. 24). Scholars were exempt from providing substitutes as laborers on public works; but they were required to lend their services in digging street wells (B. B. 8a).
It reminds me these two passages.

Elders being asked to work:
[Act 20:17 NKJV] From Miletus he sent to Ephesus and called for the elders of the church.
[Act 20:33 NKJV] "I have coveted no one's silver or gold or apparel.
[Act 20:34 NKJV] "Yes, you yourselves know that these hands have provided for my necessities, and for those who were with me.
[Act 20:35 NKJV] "I have shown you in every way, by laboring like this, that you must support the weak. And remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.' "
And the same elders in Ephesus being honored and blessed by the congregation:
[1Ti 5:17 NKJV] Let the elders who rule well be counted worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in the word and doctrine.
[1Ti 5:18 NKJV] For the Scripture says, "You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out the grain," and, "The laborer [is] worthy of his wages."
And teachers being compensated or rewarded with alms somehow by the students:
[Gal 6:6 NKJV] Let him who is taught the word share in all good things with him who teaches.
Bivocational ministry was the norm in the first century according to Dorr in The Bivocational Pastor, 22.

Just sharing
Old 11-08-2021, 07:13 AM
Sister Alvear

Re: Profession of teachers in the firsts centuries

very interesting

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 11-09-2021, 08:24 AM
Registered Member

Just to help understand the context, Hillel and Shammai were both the two most prominent teachers for the Pharisees, even after their death, during the time of Jesus. It is like the David K Bernard of the UPCI and Nathaniel Wilson in the WPF.
Old 11-09-2021, 09:35 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
Just to help understand the context, Hillel and Shammai were both the two most prominent teachers for the Pharisees, even after their death, during the time of Jesus. It is like the David K Bernard of the UPCI and Nathaniel Wilson in the WPF.
Not by a long shot.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:50 AM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Not by a long shot.
They were the Plato and Aristotle of Judaism, not some elected leader of a religious subgroup.
Old 11-09-2021, 03:00 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwill83 View Post
They were the Plato and Aristotle of Judaism, not some elected leader of a religious subgroup.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:28 AM
Registered Member

GASP!!!!

You would accuse the various popes of being political?

Cretins!!!

Old 11-12-2021, 07:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwill83 View Post
I wasn’t referring to them as leaders but as reknown teachers who have written books that later have been used for ministerial training.

If you knew, for instance, the study material for the UPCI ministerial licenses, and even the material they use abroad in other countries, you would have understood my point.

I don’t know the details of Wilson in WPF but I heard is also known as a teacher.
Old 11-12-2021, 08:04 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
I wasn’t referring to them as leaders but as reknown teachers who have written books that later have been used for ministerial training.

If you knew, for instance, the study material for the UPCI ministerial licenses, and even the material they use abroad in other countries, you would have understood my point.

I don’t know the details of Wilson in WPF but I heard is also known as a teacher.
How long have you been in the UPC?
Old 11-12-2021, 08:06 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:

Can you prove this was the case with the two schools in the first century?