Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-30-2007, 09:45 AM
The LORD will fight for you

Speaking the Truth in Love

A young boy and his stepfather had difficulty communicating with each other. The man was outgoing; the boy was quiet. The elder loved to fish; the youngster loved to read.

The stepfather, wanting to get close to the boy, took him on a fishing trip. The boy hated it but didn't know how to tell his stepfather directly. So he wrote him a note saying he wanted to go home. The man looked at it and stuck it in his pocket.

The fishing trip continued 4 more days. When they finally returned home, the boy shared his frustration with his mother and told her that his stepfather had paid no attention to his note. His mother said to him, "Son, your father can't read." The man had never shared this with the boy.

Good communication occurs not only when we know what we want to say, but also when we know the person to whom we are speaking. And to know one another requires a willingness to let others know our weaknesses and limitations.

Paul urged us as believers to speak truthfully with each other (Ephesians 4:25). He also admonished us to be "kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another" (v.32). That's Christlike love, and it provides the security in which good communication can thrive.

Isaiah 53:5: "But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."(KJV)

"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." Dwight L. Moody
Old 06-30-2007, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosenbyone View Post
A young boy and his stepfather had difficulty communicating with each other. The man was outgoing; the boy was quiet. The elder loved to fish; the youngster loved to read.

The stepfather, wanting to get close to the boy, took him on a fishing trip. The boy hated it but didn't know how to tell his stepfather directly. So he wrote him a note saying he wanted to go home. The man looked at it and stuck it in his pocket.

The fishing trip continued 4 more days. When they finally returned home, the boy shared his frustration with his mother and told her that his stepfather had paid no attention to his note. His mother said to him, "Son, your father can't read." The man had never shared this with the boy.

Good communication occurs not only when we know what we want to say, but also when we know the person to whom we are speaking. And to know one another requires a willingness to let others know our weaknesses and limitations.

Paul urged us as believers to speak truthfully with each other (Ephesians 4:25). He also admonished us to be "kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another" (v.32). That's Christlike love, and it provides the security in which good communication can thrive.
Didn't Paul write in a exception for Forums?

Seriously, Good Post!
Psa 119:165 (KJV) 165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

"Do not believe everthing you read on the internet" - Abe Lincoln
Old 06-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Administrator

I can relate. Two summers ago my son who was 18 at the time bought his first motorcycle. I was excited because I envisioned hours upon hours of us riding together on weekends around Middle Tennessee and maybe beyond.

We have only gone riding a few times and after the last time when I was excitedly talking about our next ride he told me that he doesn't like just riding to ride. He likes to be "going somewhere".

Turns out he enjoys his motorcycle but only in the context of riding it to do something with his friends like disc golf,etc. I love riding just for the sheer joy of it and looking at and smelling the beautiful countryside around here.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevDWW View Post
Didn't Paul write in a exception for Forums?

Seriously, Good Post!
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it....

God bless you.

Isaiah 53:5: "But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."(KJV)

"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." Dwight L. Moody
Old 06-30-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
I can relate. Two summers ago my son who was 18 at the time bought his first motorcycle. I was excited because I envisioned hours upon hours of us riding together on weekends around Middle Tennessee and maybe beyond.

We have only gone riding a few times and after the last time when I was excitedly talking about our next ride he told me that he doesn't like just riding to ride. He likes to be "going somewhere".

Turns out he enjoys his motorcycle but only in the context of riding it to do something with his friends like disc golf,etc. I love riding just for the sheer joy of it and looking at and smelling the beautiful countryside around here.
My natural father and I didn't see or speak to each other in nearly 30 years. It has been a year and half since he moved back to Texas from Connecticut and he and I have had to work at communicating with one another. I have always believed it was harder for men (fathers and sons especially) to be able to effectively communicate with one another. As far as your son, CC1, he will one day realize the value of having a good father. He must go through this stage like all of us did at one time.

God bless you and your family.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!

Quote:
My natural father and I didn't see or speak to each other in nearly 30 years. It has been a year and half since he moved back to Texas from Connecticut and he and I have had to work at communicating with one another. I have always believed it was harder for men (fathers and sons especially) to be able to effectively communicate with one another. As far as your son, CC1, he will one day realize the value of having a good father. He must go through this stage like all of us did at one time.
God bless you and your family.
Bro. Chosen,

And how many of us had no idea until years later what a wonderful

heavenly Father we had. And there are also fathers who realized what

wonderful sons they had when they took time to get to really "know"

and communicate with them. How many regret they had not got closer

to each other sooner. The same applies to mothers and daughters. Or

fathers and daughters, and mothers and sons.

What is needed is more of the love of God shed abroad in our hearts by

the Holy Ghost.

Blessings,

Falla39
Old 06-30-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falla39 View Post
Bro. Chosen,

And how many of us had no idea until years later what a wonderful

heavenly Father we had. And there are also fathers who realized what

wonderful sons they had when they took time to get to really "know"

and communicate with them. How many regret they had not got closer

to each other sooner. The same applies to mothers and daughters. Or

fathers and daughters, and mothers and sons.

What is needed is more of the love of God shed abroad in our hearts by

the Holy Ghost.

Blessings,

Falla39

Sister Falla,

It was many years before I could conceptualize that I had a heavenly Father, because of not knowing my earthly father most of my life. The day that I received an email from my father was the day that my Lord gave me the biggest desire of my heart. I never thought that after all those years that he would reach out to me.

Through some very tough and at times uncomfortable conversations, we were able, through the guidance of the Lord, to lay down the memories of the past and live in a state of forgiveness. Though we aren't close in the traditional sense, God has continued to strengthen our relationship and I have treasured every moment spent with him.

I could never thank God enough for all the blessings and goodness He has shown me. This disease that I have today was used by our Lord to heal so many areas of my life. It was no coincidence that my father contacted me, because when he was told about my condition, he wanted to make sure that I knew that he loved me.

It was Christmas Eve before last when I drove to his home to meet him, his wife and my dad's mother who was in her late eighties. When my dad opened that door there was no bitterness, no pain, only love, hugs and tears. That was exactly how Jesus welcomed me when I had transgressed against Him, which caused our relationship to become splintered. What a comfort to know that He cared and loved me regardless of what I thought of myself or what others had said about me.

The one thing that God desires most from His children is a relationship, much like our fathers here on earth. I am thankful that I can experience both!

chosen

Old 07-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!

Quote:
Sister Falla,

It was many years before I could conceptualize that I had a heavenly Father, because of not knowing my earthly father most of my life. The day that I received an email from my father was the day that my Lord gave me the biggest desire of my heart. I never thought that after all those years that he would reach out to me.

Through some very tough and at times uncomfortable conversations, we were able, through the guidance of the Lord, to lay down the memories of the past and live in a state of forgiveness. Though we aren't close in the traditional sense, God has continued to strengthen our relationship and I have treasured every moment spent with him.

I could never thank God enough for all the blessings and goodness He has shown me. This disease that I have today was used by our Lord to heal so many areas of my life. It was no coincidence that my father contacted me, because when he was told about my condition, he wanted to make sure that I knew that he loved me.

It was Christmas Eve before last when I drove to his home to meet him, his wife and my dad's mother who was in her late eighties. When my dad opened that door there was no bitterness, no pain, only love, hugs and tears. That was exactly how Jesus welcomed me when I had transgressed against Him, which caused our relationship to become splintered. What a comfort to know that He cared and loved me regardless of what I thought of myself or what others had said about me.

The one thing that God desires most from His children is a relationship, much like our fathers here on earth. I am thankful that I can experience both!

chosen
Dear Bro. Chosen,

Perhaps that is why I can understand why someone who was baptized

as a child, especially if that person had fell into sin and drawn away. If

we can come back again to the Father, why can't we have those sins

washed way. It would seem to me we would want to be cleaned up,

washed and made clean again. Could it be possible that children haven't felt

or realized what sin really was. until they have felt the guilt associated with

it. Why does SO many of our youth leave the church. The prodigal was

young but learned after he had left the safety of the Father's house that

home never looked so good. No, I don't think that everyone has to go out

and live a lifetime of sin, to learn. However, I do believe there are those

who have missed or failed God who probably never left the Father's house

or church, but recognized what they had done and repented. Perhaps they

would not feel the need to be re-baptized. I personally feel it speaks well of

a person who has confessed open sin that is known, to humble themselves

and to desire and to ask to be re-baptized or have the old man of sin re-

buried. One thing about it, after we have emptied out all self, and our vessel

is throughly purged and cleansed. it is up to God to do with us as He pleases.

He just might have a purified vessel useable for His glory. The old song of the

church stills sounds good to those who feel their need of it.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound.
That saves a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now I'm found,
Was blind but now I see.

Through many dangers, toils and snares,
I have already come. His grace has brought
Me safe thus far. And His grace will lead me
home.

When we've been there ten thousand years,
Bright shining as the Sun. We've no less days
To sing God's praise. Than when we first begun.

"For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath

appeared to all men, Teaching us that denying un-

godliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly,

righteously and godly, in this present world; Looking

for that blessed hope and the glorious appearing of

the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Who gave

himself for us, that he might purify unto himself a

peculiar people, zealous of good works.

God's Amazing Grace is still teaching us, if we will but

have a teachable spirit. A hearing ear and a seeing eye.

Let's follow on to know Him better, in Jesus Name.

Blessings,

Falla39
Old 07-03-2007, 05:38 AM
delete account

Quote:
Sister Falla,

chosen
Chosen,

You are not alone in this. Many people have a skewed sense of God being compared to a father because many have what counselors refer to as "The Father Wound". You were fortunate to have a reconciliation with your earthly father, many do not have that opportunity or that point of reference.

You are correct, God wants/desires relationship or else why would he have even bothered with us. The Father's love is so fathomless that he would sacrifice his own son to not only gain back his son, but all his children who have wandered off into the sin of this world.

This is not the only relationship that Christ wants. He compares his church to that of a bride. We are engaged to him, but we "go out on him" following after other lovers. He, like Hosea, goes out into the streets seeking to find his bride, he finds her, cleans her up, forgives her, covers her, and will present to Himself a bride having no spot or blemish....How wonderful is that?

God created us to have relationships with each other and Him self. I do believe the angels envy us our position. I am so glad to be a friend of God, and a friend of Bro. Chosen. I am looking forward, with great, anticipation to this weekend...just one of the many opportunites to share with friends...now and then.

Blessings & Prayers,
Sis. Rhonda
Old 07-03-2007, 06:22 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Sister Falla,

chosen

Beautiful story, Chosen!