Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

Re: Mark Johnston Drops from UPCI, Garner Next???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Michales View Post
Garner Who?
Garner Ted Armstrong.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 08-20-2013, 08:23 AM
Registered Member

Just a thought but last year Indiana Dist UPCI had a record of ministry to be ordained at Camp. I know...we were up in Indiana during this time.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:57 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
Garner Ted Armstrong.
I used to watch him on early EARLY morning tv back in the day... lol

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 07-06-2014, 01:40 PM
Administrator

So any more up and coming young UPC preachers leave "The Ark" since this exodus about 3 years ago?
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 07-20-2014, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I said what I did because I watched him preach with power and fervency. What I saw when I went to his website broke my heart, for it was apparent that he no longer held what he once had.
Jay, you were criticized when you made this post, but I know what I have seen recently with at least 2 of the preachers mentioned in this thread and the only way to describe it is, "heart breaking".

I am sure I need to check myself, remove the beam from my eyes, and etc, but MAN I am deeply saddened by what I've just seen.

It's not supposed to be this way.

Last edited by Jermyn Davidson; 07-20-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:19 AM
Registered Member

Not sure about "Heart Breaking" - maybe a little confused. That said, without sitting down and talking to folks like Mark, and Anthony (to name two who left the Mother ship) - it is in some ways impossible to know exactly why they left and why they changed.

It is easy to pick at them for obvious dropping of certain "standards", but other then that I would think there would have to be some sort of conversation as to intent and motive - not just looking at church websites and drawing conclusions.

Maybe I am missing something??
Old 07-28-2014, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
Jay, you were criticized when you made this post, but I know what I have seen recently with at least 2 of the preachers mentioned in this thread and the only way to describe it is, "heart breaking".

I am sure I need to check myself, remove the beam from my eyes, and etc, but MAN I am deeply saddened by what I've just seen.

Yup. Don't you just hate it when they stop screaming and waving a microphone around and just simply bring the word of God to people in a normal tone of voice? All of the annointing is just gone.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 08-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Yup. Don't you just hate it when they stop screaming and waving a microphone around and just simply bring the word of God to people in a normal tone of voice? All of the annointing is just gone.
We are brothers in Christ, but we are not on the same page here.

More to it than screaming.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:51 AM
Apostolic Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post

Wow, I posted that so long ago that I had to rethink what I was saying. Yes, I took some heat for it, but I have recently found the messages that he preached at the Illionois Youth Camp, and I still found myself heartbroken over him.

Visit me at www.jonathandtalbot.blogspot.com.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:55 AM
Apostolic Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lemon View Post
Not sure about "Heart Breaking" - maybe a little confused. That said, without sitting down and talking to folks like Mark, and Anthony (to name two who left the Mother ship) - it is in some ways impossible to know exactly why they left and why they changed.

It is easy to pick at them for obvious dropping of certain "standards", but other then that I would think there would have to be some sort of conversation as to intent and motive - not just looking at church websites and drawing conclusions.

Maybe I am missing something??
I do not know about Anthony Trout, but Mark Johnston went into the emergent movement, or was at least very strongly inclined in that direction. Much of his website reminded me of the Christ asking the question, "If the blind lead the blind, shall they not both ende up in the ditch?" He went from discussing the absolute truths of the Word, to talking about how we are are on a journey to discover the truth (as if it were as yet unrevealed). This is, as I understand it, one of the indicators of an emergent preacher.

Visit me at www.jonathandtalbot.blogspot.com.