Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-30-2021, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

Trinitarians Who Baptize in Jesus Name

Have you ever met any?

I was conversing with an evangelist earlier today via Facebook messenger and she basically said she was Trinitarian, but that she had been baptized in the name of Jesus at an Apostolic church, and that she believed and preached that baptism was to be done in water and in the name of Jesus. She also implied that both Apostolics and Trinitarians believe that salvation is solely in Jesus.

I've come across a few self-proclaiming Trinitarians that baptize in the name of Jesus. My Pastor's brother use to preach at a small Baptist church. My Pastor got to talking with his brother and eventually got his brother to see baptism in the name of Jesus. He accepted that part, but never took heed to the rest of it. This man doesn't preach anymore and has nothing whatsoever to do with church.

I went to school with a very nice young lady that attended a non-denominational church that was fairly large. She said they were "new style Pentecost", which I guess was her hipster way of saying Charismatic. They believed in the Trinity, baptized by full immersion in the name of Jesus, but had a Charismatic-type doctrine when it came to the Holy Ghost and the spiritual gifts. This young lady and her husband have moved away now and I think they do some missionary and evangelistic work.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 03-30-2021, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

Re: Trinitarians Who Baptize in Jesus Name

I know for certain Faith Assembly from Warsaw Indiana pastored by the late Hobart Freeman baptized in Jesus name. They had numerous house Churches that followed them in doctrine. They continued in Protestant new birth understanding and the Trinity.

After Bro. Freemans death most if not all these groups disappeared. The last one I know that was still going was Pastored by Tim Neely in Goshen Indiana.

At least through the 70's Bethesda Christian Church in Detroit Pastored by James Lee Beale baptized in Jesus name. They actually taught Acts 2:38 as the new birth. They continued in Trinitarianism. His mother was instrumental in the early latter rain movement. He distanced himself from Oneness doctrine.

Dale Huffman founded a Charismatic Church in Huber Heights Ohio in the 70's. I attended there a few times. In a discussion we had he told me he believed in the Trinity but that baptism in Jesus name was how he baptized.
Old 03-30-2021, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

Christ Gospel Church in Jeffersonville Ind. Pentecostal Trinitarians that baptize in Jesus name. Last I knew very strict "standards".
Old 03-31-2021, 07:35 AM
Registered Member

Most strait-laced Holiness people I know of (whether they be Independent Holiness, Holiness Baptist, or Wesleyan Methodist) seem to be hard against Jesus Name. They are Trinitarian all the way.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

Donnie McClurkin, singer, songwriter, pastor of Perfecting Faith Church in Freeport, NY…

He was baptized several years ago by Bishop Fred Rubin of the Church Of Our Lord Jesus Christ.

Tho’ the doctrine for Perfecting is that one is saved at repentance/confession of faith, under the subject of baptism it reads that Acts 2:38 is the formula…
Old 04-01-2021, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

It's kind of confusing how someone can see baptism in Jesus Name as being Biblical without acknowledging the Oneness of God.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

I would love to see the Oneness and Trinity come together. They have been so divided for 100 years. Why can't they baptize in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost in Jesus Name?
Old 04-02-2021, 06:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE JESUS View Post
I would love to see the Oneness and Trinity come together. They have been so divided for 100 years. Why can't they baptize in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost in Jesus Name?
Because One God believers and Trinitarians do NOT worship the same God.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:15 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus1968 View Post
Because One God believers and Trinitarians do NOT worship the same God.

That is a false statement. The fact that multiple members in both camps have received the gift of the Holy Ghost proves they do worship the same God. Nobody, including Apostolics, has a perfect understanding of God.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:11 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
That is a false statement. The fact that multiple members in both camps have received the gift of the Holy Ghost proves they do worship the same God. Nobody, including Apostolics, has a perfect understanding of God.
I can semi-agree with you. I would say that Apostolic/Oneness Christians have a better understanding of God over Trinitarians.

There are multiple Trinitarian denominations that believe in the spiritual gifts. Their doctrines on the Holy Ghost is all over the map though. Being Trinitarian, they believe the Holy Ghost is the third person in the Godhead, and they typically believe someone "receives the Spirit" at conversion (or repentance). Any further manifestation of the Spirit in the believer's life (such as the operation of spiritual gifts, something which isn't deemed necessary) is viewed as a releasing of the Spirit already within the Christian.

I know many Christians that received the baptism with the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in other tongues, when they were attending Trinitarian churches. An elder minister in our church that passed a few years ago pastored a Holiness Baptist church for years. He received the Holy Ghost in a Holiness Baptist church. They were very strict, but he saw the truth of Jesus Name well into his sixties. He was rebaptized and embraced the Jesus Name doctrine. A similar story centers on an older woman I know that received the Holy Ghost in the Church of God back during the time when that denomination preached hell fire and brimstone. She began to pray and God brought her into the glorious light and she's been a full-fledged Apostolic for decades.

Even though it is sometimes tough to swallow, I don't believe everyone in Trinitarian churches receive the same Holy Ghost that Jesus Name people do. This is partly because they have a misunderstanding of who God is, and their denominations teaches false doctrine. These people might speak in tongues and operate in spiritual matters, but they deny Biblical doctrines as heresy. It's hard for me to believe that these people have the same Holy Ghost we have. Now, God could still be dealing with them, but if they continue to deny Him, I do believe their "manifestations" will eventually turn counterfeit.

I do know that not everyone in an Apostolic church as the genuine Holy Ghost, either. Every tongue-talker isn't legit, no matter what church they go to.