Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-26-2016, 12:49 PM
Loren Adkins

Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
Again this thread is about prophets after making a prophetic announcement foretelling the future. Do you see that now? Actually prophecy is saying anything God directed one to say.
No this thread is about when the prophet spoke the warning of God they did not repent, thus the warnings came to pass. As we see the warning when they came and were repented of the prophecy was either lifted or pushed to another generation.

This may sound like I am backing off of my original statement. But while prophecy does have a small element of speaking of the future it is in the context of scripture. What I mean by that is if we live right we shall be blessed if not we shall not be blessed.

Words spoken as was the supposed prophecy that "there will not be an election this year" I identify right off as a false prophet. Or words spoken to a couple that are trying to have a child, "that they shall have a child this year" etc. I would deem a false prophet.

With all that being said, in my youth, I was much like many in my understanding of a prophet. It was in the last 8 years I was exposed to true prophecy. And it changed my life. While I cannot say I understand prophecy in its entirety I do feel like I have a better understanding than many.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:54 PM
Loren Adkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Good to see you, Loren.

Would you agree with a definition of "prophet" as one who hears from God, in some form or another, and passes the message along to others, and that such a message from God may or may not include predictions of future events?
Quote:
I'd like to contrast this from a broader definition that my include things that don't literally originate from God for that moment, but rather are from the speaker's own mind but consistent with the Bible, and are encouragement, drawing people to God, perhaps a correction, etc. There is a place for that, I'm sure, but is it really only prophets that can do such things?
Let me say, yes I do feel it is much as you describe prophecy in that it is consistent with scripture and encourages with correction at times, but always follows with comfort.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:28 AM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Cool. Now, re: "... the way to tell a true prophet is to see if they direct you to genuinely serve God, and not themselves by the way, while succeeding in foretelling the future."

This implies that anyone purports to be a prophet, if he correctly foretells a future event, and if he directs you to serve God, then that proves he really is a true prophet. I.e., God revealed the future event to him, and nobody can pretend to be a prophet, get lucky or skillful in predictions, and direct people to serve God.

Is that your intention?
Mike?
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 11-27-2016, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsdrummer View Post

No this thread is about when the prophet spoke the warning of God they did not repent, thus the warnings came to pass. As we see the warning when they came and were repented of the prophecy was either lifted or pushed to another generation.

This may sound like I am backing off of my original statement. But while prophecy does have a small element of speaking of the future it is in the context of scripture. What I mean by that is if we live right we shall be blessed if not we shall not be blessed.

Words spoken as was the supposed prophecy that "there will not be an election this year" I identify right off as a false prophet. Or words spoken to a couple that are trying to have a child, "that they shall have a child this year" etc. I would deem a false prophet.

With all that being said, in my youth, I was much like many in my understanding of a prophet. It was in the last 8 years I was exposed to true prophecy. And it changed my life. While I cannot say I understand prophecy in its entirety I do feel like I have a better understanding than many.
It is still about foretelling, and not admitting error after. Foretelling and being wrong. That kind of prophecy.

G4394
προφητεία
prophēteia
Thayer Definition:
1) prophecy
1a) a discourse emanating from divine inspiration and declaring the purposes of God, whether by reproving and admonishing the wicked, or comforting the afflicted, or revealing things hidden; especially by foretelling future events
1b) Used in the NT of the utterance of OT prophets
1b1) of the prediction of events relating to Christ’s kingdom and its speedy triumph, together with the consolations and admonitions pertaining to it, the spirit of prophecy, the divine mind, to which the prophetic faculty is due
1b2) of the endowment and speech of the Christian teachers called prophets
1b3) the gifts and utterances of these prophets, especially of the predictions of the works of which, set apart to teach the gospel, will accomplish for the kingdom of Christ
Part of Speech: noun feminine
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from G4396 (“prophecy”)
Citing in TDNT: 6:781, 952

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."

Last edited by mfblume; 11-27-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Mike?
Just not convinced you're not trying to make the bible look stupid.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 11-27-2016, 01:44 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Sad isn't it.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:36 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:
What if I was?! Come on! It's NOT stupid, so how could a question -- ANY question! -- "make" it look stupid?

The way you deal with question is telling. Very telling. You are insecure in your beliefs. Oh no? The why does it even matter what my intentions are in asking simple questions?

What is your definition of "prophet"?

Oh no, Timmy's asking scary questions again.

SMH.

Why am I not surprised?
Old 11-27-2016, 03:37 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Sad isn't it.
Sure is.

Why am I not surprised?
Old 11-27-2016, 04:00 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Sure is.
Feeling a tad schizophrenic?
Old 11-27-2016, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
What if I was?! Come on! It's NOT stupid, so how could a question -- ANY question! -- "make" it look stupid?

The way you deal with question is telling. Very telling. You are insecure in your beliefs. Oh no? The why does it even matter what my intentions are in asking simple questions?

What is your definition of "prophet"?

Oh no, Timmy's asking scary questions again.

SMH.
Sorry, you have a history. I'd gladly answer anything you asked if you had no ulterior motives. The Bible tells us to avoid, otherwise.