Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 12-03-2016, 10:24 AM
Not riding the train

From whom did Jesus gain his wisdom?

As God or from man? I have other thoughts, but I don't want to interject them into the conversation as yet.

Luke 2:40 And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him.

Luke 2:52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:35 AM
J.esus i.s t.he o.ne God (463)

Re: From whom did Jesus gain his wisdom?

As God, He had all wisdom and knowledge (obviously), but as a man, He had to learn wisdom, as we do. I think He was able to tap into the infinite knowledge of His deity side, but did not have full access, which is why He was able to teach and amaze the elders when He was only 12, but yet - as the Bible records - still increased in wisdom.

That's my theory, anyway.
Sometimes hidden dangers spring on us suddenly. Those are out of our control. But when one can see the danger, and then refuses to arrest , all in the name of "God is in control", they are forfeiting God given, preventive opportunities.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

He leaned on the Father like all of us have to lean on Him. But He did it purely and wholly. We would be able to do all the wonders He did, except die for another's sins, if we truly learned to live like He did.

John 6:57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 12-03-2016, 01:02 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
He leaned on the Father like all of us have to lean on Him. But He did it purely and wholly. We would be able to do all the wonders He did, except die for another's sins, if we truly learned to live like He did.

John 6:57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.
Good post! Thanks for that!

Coming back to ask another question. The Word says that Jesus "was tempted in all points like as we are, yet without sin." Hebrews 4:15

Isn't that because he was born of God and not of Joseph that he could live a sinless life and was fully able to "purely and wholly" live by the Father? I mean, it seems impossible for us as humans to "fully" live by him (Jesus) in the same way. We weren't made like Him.

Last edited by Pressing-On; 12-03-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:10 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
As God, He had all wisdom and knowledge (obviously), but as a man, He had to learn wisdom, as we do. I think He was able to tap into the infinite knowledge of His deity side, but did not have full access, which is why He was able to teach and amaze the elders when He was only 12, but yet - as the Bible records - still increased in wisdom.

So, at 12-years old, did he learn this understanding and his answers from the synagogue or from God?

"And all who heard Him were astonished at His understanding and answers." Luke 2:47
Old 12-03-2016, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
As God or from man? I have other thoughts, but I don't want to interject them into the conversation as yet.

Luke 2:40 And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him.

Luke 2:52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.
From his Father(s), God and Joseph
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 12-03-2016, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post

Hebrews 5:8-9 reads that Jesus also learned obedience...

"Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;"

Interesting thread, PO...
Old 12-04-2016, 01:27 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
From his Father(s), God and Joseph
I can agree with that as Luke 2:51 says, "And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart."

Meaning, He was subordinate to them, like a wife is subordinate to her husband - I Peter 3:1 using the same word in Greek: subjection: hupotassō. Jesus always leading by example - fulfilling all righteousness.

However, I see something in Luke 2:49-50 "And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business? And they understood not the saying which he spake unto them."

IOW, He seemed to know more about what He was doing, was he was called to do and what His life was about than even his parents knew. So, that knowledge couldn't have come from Joseph or Mary. He was very young to have this depth of understanding that we debate on AFF - "And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: for God was manifest in the flesh..."

What part did Joseph and Mary play in the wisdom of Jesus Christ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post
Hebrews 5:8-9 reads that Jesus also learned obedience...

"Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;"

Interesting thread, PO...
So, I am looking at this as the things that He suffered were planned by God, but carried out by man. He became a servant in all aspects. I have other thoughts on this but can't quite put them into words right now.

But, I like the scripture you quoted as it brings to mind Philippians 2:5-7 "Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross."
Old 12-04-2016, 03:57 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post

Wisdom comes from God:

Who hath put wisdom in the inward parts? or who hath given understanding to the heart?
(Job 38:36 KJV)

Then wrought Bezaleel and Aholiab, and every wise hearted man, in whom the LORD put wisdom and understanding to know how to work all manner of work for the service of the sanctuary, according to all that the LORD had commanded. And Moses called Bezaleel and Aholiab, and every wise hearted man, in whose heart the LORD had put wisdom, even every one whose heart stirred him up to come unto the work to do it:
(Exodus 36:1-2 KJV)

For God giveth to a man that is good in his sight wisdom, and knowledge, and joy: but to the sinner he giveth travail, to gather and to heap up, that he may give to him that is good before God. This also is vanity and vexation of spirit.
(Ecclesiastes 2:26 KJV)

Wisdom comes to man via the words of God:

My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee; So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding; Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding; If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures; Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God. For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.

(Proverbs 2:1-6 KJV)

Behold, I have taught you statutes and judgments, even as the LORD my God commanded me, that ye should do so in the land whither ye go to possess it. Keep therefore and do them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the nations, which shall hear all these statutes, and say, Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.
(Deuteronomy 4:5-6 KJV)

Unto thee it was shewed, that thou mightest know that the LORD he is God; there is none else beside him. Out of heaven he made thee to hear his voice, that he might instruct thee: and upon earth he shewed thee his great fire; and thou heardest his words out of the midst of the fire.
(Deuteronomy 4:35-36 KJV)

Wisdom is imparted by parents teaching their children:

For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.
(Genesis 18:19 KJV)

Only take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul diligently, lest thou forget the things which thine eyes have seen, and lest they depart from thy heart all the days of thy life: but teach them thy sons, and thy sons' sons; Specially the day that thou stoodest before the LORD thy God in Horeb, when the LORD said unto me, Gather me the people together, and I will make them hear my words, that they may learn to fear me all the days that they shall live upon the earth, and that they may teach their children.
(Deuteronomy 4:9-10 KJV)

And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.
(Deuteronomy 6:6-7 KJV)

Messiah was to have Divine wisdom imparted to him from God by the Spirit:

And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots: And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD; And shall make him of quick understanding in the fear of the LORD: and he shall not judge after the sight of his eyes, neither reprove after the hearing of his ears:
(Isaiah 11:1-3 KJV)

Jesus was a man, a fully functioning human being. Therefore, any wisdom he had would have been given by the Spirit of God, as it is with any man. Yet we see in Christ a fullness of wisdom that is unmatched by any of the sons of men, because he was ordained to BE the wisdom of God incarnate. So God has given him the fullness of wisdom and understanding. As a child, he undoubtedly learned wisdom by hearing the words of God taught to him by his mother and father, and because he was blessed with an abundance of the spirit of wisdom he was, at a young age, able to discourse readily with the doctors of the law concerning the things of God.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - http://www.robertwr.com/

Last edited by Esaias; 12-04-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:20 PM
Not riding the train

Very good, Esaias!

Especially, "He was blessed with an abundance of the spirit of wisdom." That is really what I was reaching for.