Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

Re: What kind of pastor is this?

I was a friend and confidant during the talk of moving. He considered just moving his family only I know that for a fact. We even talked of him coming to Nashville. But the saints would not have it. We even talked about guys who might go up there to take that church. The overall employment for the younger folks looked very grim and maybe a decade before it would come back. Yes the guys your dad's age were alright mostly but it was their children they were concerned about. But I have zero influence in this matter. We are friendly but I am outside his circle. If the boy's pastor can't help then it won't be helped. I will pray for everyone involved. I wish we pastors were not human and never made any mistakes but we are human and even in our desire to please God and serve His people we fail. Not all our judgments are correct and we pay for them like everyone else. What some percieve as abuse(which I admit does happen) others see as love even if it is misguided at times.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:41 PM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
LOL! Hey Ferd needs prayer too!
Answer thou me
Old 11-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

"He is still a good man of God!" said the church members every time the pastor wielded his self proclaimed power like a mighty sword time after time after time.

". . . .but he is a good man!" said the battered woman to the police officers as they arrive on their domestic disturbance call to the same address for the 18th time.

When do women FINALLY stop calling their batterers "a good man!"??

When do people FINALLY stop calling their pastor (IF their pastor or a pastor they know, acts like this) a "good man of God!"???

Last edited by RandyWayne; 11-18-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Temporary Occupant of Earth

Definitely prayer needed in this situation.

Do Not Argue With Idiots, they will just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:55 PM
Repent and believe the Gospel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
fail. Not all our judgments are correct and we pay for them like everyone else. What some perceive as abuse(which I admit does happen) others see as love even if it is misguided at times.
Believe it or not I understand this. I look back at our old pastors and I see this.

Scripture is its own interpreter. Nothing can cut a diamond but a diamond. Nothing can interpret Scripture but Scripture" Thomas Watson.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
I know enough about the situation to know my family member is not rebellious. She is as sweet as she can be. I don't believe she has a rebellious bone in her body. She is torn right now, and you have to know what I am talking about, if you went through a similar situation.

If you acknowledge you know this pastor, then you have to be aware of the control issue that is really the problem here.
The fact that she feels torn indicates she is in rebellion. At least that's what one poster on here would say.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingZword View Post
Well I have worshipped at different oneness churches, and one thing I noticed is that if the church was UPC affiliated, they usually had very few minority members.

I have visited other oneness churches sometimes in the same area and I noticed that the congregation was more mixed.

There is a knee jerk reaction in some UPC pastors to deny any racism for it is not politically correct to be racist, but their outreach efforts show where they really want members from.

Some pastors were brought up in a culture that would not allow mixed marriages, so although it is not longer acceptable to hold such views openly, some pastors still hold such views in private.
You sound as if it's the church's fault that minorities won't attend there. Have you asked the minorities why they won't?

I have heard this before. If you attend a white church and you are white, it's your fault there are no blacks in your church. If you are white, why don't you attend a black church? I never see anyone accusing black churches of failing to have white people attend their congregations. Why is that, if it's a problem?
Old 11-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Go Dodgers!

My UPC reflects the general make up of our city.

Most are Hispanic. Then White. Black. Filipino...no pakistani or Indian yet. We do have one Okinawin...hows that?

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:09 PM
Go Dodgers!

Oh and BTW in my experience most other Hispanics go to Hispanic churches with far less diversity. Same with Blacks going to mostly black churches.

Maybe its NOT the outreach efforts of those UPCs but location?

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:18 PM
Isaiah 56:4-5

The ex UPC I attended in CA is Hispanic and White. Hard to win blacks in that community because they only attend black churches.