Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > The Garden Path
Facebook

Notices

The Garden Path For the Green Thumbs among us, share your gardening secrets here!

Old 03-25-2013, 10:52 AM
On the road less traveled

Re: If You Planted a Garden What Did You Plant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
I'm attempting to see if our backyard and local climate will support one of these.

If it works for you let us know...
Old 03-25-2013, 10:57 AM

No planting for me here yet. Although, I am wanting to do a "cold plant" garden, which includes broccoli, spinach, and kale. I am probably going to buy some seeds this week, and start them inside, and then plant outside perhaps sometime in April. I've decided unless my husband builds me a greenhouse, I am not even going to bother with warm-weather loving veggies like tomatoes, squash and peppers. Even in the summer, although the day temps get up to 90-100, at night, it cools down to the low 40s, sometimes 30s, and our first frost was Aug 30... so, I think this year I am going to concentrate on veggies that like cold weather...

Anyone else doing cold weather lovin veggies?
Old 04-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

We started two barrels with potatoes. The whites sprouted within 5 days and are now about 6 inches tall. The reds basically rotted -so I'm trying again with them.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

We have 11 huge firs surrounding us so we will have to plant in containers that will sit in the drive way...1/2 barrels with big wheels so we can move them. I think we will do tomatoes for sure, I would like to do some lettuce, radishes, and a few other salad things...we can't plant for awhile yet our nights are still too cool!

I too want a green house...we have one sunny most of the time spot in the back that I think we can squeeze a small one. I want to be able to grow later in the season and start my own seeds, not have to buy plants.

We are going to check into the Aquaponics and hope that will work...but that is going to take some new thought process's...growing in water with a green house your suppose to be able to grow year round...we will see. And the fish fertilizer is nice!

I have heard growing potatoes in straw works really well...I want to do that too, I don't think they require all sun...some shade will be ok for them.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:24 PM

I want to try the potato barrels. Saw the seed potatoes at Ace Hardware today. RW, can you tell me approximately how many seed potatoes you need for one barrel? They are selling them by the pound.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
I want to try the potato barrels. Saw the seed potatoes at Ace Hardware today. RW, can you tell me approximately how many seed potatoes you need for one barrel? They are selling them by the pound.
This is what I have learned, pick your seed potatoes with good eyes, then cut them in half, third or quarter depending on how big they are(its good to have two or three eyes per piece)...dip the cut edge of the potato in ashes from your fireplace and plant them about a foot apart. They like soft soil sandy soil, with good drainage...
Old 04-04-2013, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roagiesgal View Post
This is what I have learned, pick your seed potatoes with good eyes, then cut them in half, third or quarter depending on how big they are(its good to have two or three eyes per piece)...dip the cut edge of the potato in ashes from your fireplace and plant them about a foot apart. They like soft soil sandy soil, with good drainage...
We're still experimenting but have 5 plants per barrel. Normally that would be too close together but it is supposed to work with proper harvesting while keeping the plants intact to keep producing. Taking the potatoes as they develop also has the advantage of keeping the soil tilled.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roagiesgal View Post
Thanks for the info! My husband and I just watched some videos online about these potato barrels. I had not heard about dipping them in ashes before. That sounds interesting. We don't have sandy soil here, so I guess I would need to be really careful about the compost I add to it.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks for the info! My husband and I just watched some videos online about these potato barrels. I had not heard about dipping them in ashes before. That sounds interesting. We don't have sandy soil here, so I guess I would need to be really careful about the compost I add to it.
This is the first year I have tried potatoes, and my sister put lime on them, which is what the feedstore recommended. (not lime as in fruit)

Mine are in a potato bag you can buy from garden stores.
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:10 AM

Strawberries have been in for years... have been making fruit since Feb (very mild winter).

Pole beans
Yard long beans
Purple string beans
Yellow squash
Crook neck squash
Zucchini
Eggplant
Kohlrabi
Turnips
Potatoes
8 kinds of tomatoes
Corn

Sweet potato slips are just about ready
Okra will go in the ground soon

We had a really late frost and some stuff got damaged but we will pull it up and replant this week.