Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-28-2018, 08:07 AM
Registered Member

Fellowship Among Christians

In mainstream theology, there is an idea called Post-Denominationalism that the Church banners Christians from all denominations. I'm sure many of you here already know about this idea (at least half of the fifteen of you ), so I don't think any more of a description is necessary.

Since I have been in the Oneness church, I have noticed a few things a fellowshipping. Some churches just will not do it. This could be because of different standards among churches, or because pastors are weary of their congregations being hurt by those whose mouths don't always stay closed on certain issues.

I know some Apostolics who will make excuses, have sympathy, or look around varying beliefs among the Baptists, Methodists, Nazarenes, etc., but who will always tend to ridicule or question the sincerity of other Apostolics because their standards or teachings do not align specifically with theirs. This makes absolutely zero sense to me. None.

To what measure do we fellowship with other churches?
Is it beneficial or not?
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:22 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Re: Fellowship Among Christians

• What exactly is your question?
  • Are you asking about fellowshipping those who are not Oneness Pentecostal? (Baptists, Methodists, etc)
  • Are you asking about fellowshipping within the ranks of Oneness Pentecostalism? (UPCI, and whatever the other initials are)

One thing I will say is this: IMO, we don't look like the Book of Acts church. maybe the Corinthian Church.

Last edited by Amanah; 05-28-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:37 PM
Administrator

First, I would say that we take an incorrect view of the word "fellowship". We've come to define the term simply as "hanging out together", usually with some kind of food or fun or both, like a quasi-religious birthday or high-school graduation party.

This isn't really the Biblical meaning of the word. In fact, last as I recall, in every instance, the Greek word for fellowship and for communion are the same word, translated two different ways. If I'm spelling it correctly, I believe it's koinonia and its derivatives.

So, one can hang out with non-Apostolics and share a meal and spend time together, but does that mean they are spiritually communing the way the Bible describes it?

Conversely, just because some Apostolics get together for some grub somewhere and chit-chat, does that mean they are truly, Scripturally fellowshipping?

Communion and fellowship in the Bible is an intentionally, deep, spiritual gathering for the purposes of breaking the communal bread of Christ's body and partaking of the cup of God's new covenant in Christ's blood.

It's not just some attempted re-enactment of the Last Supper, but it is a love feast, or feast of charity, and there are some strict guidelines on how those are to be conducted. Jude is a good place to look. So is 1 Corinthians 5.

So, my point is, questions become flawed when they are not based in the Biblical reality of the terminology.

So, unless you are actually participating in a love feast with some Baptists, Methodists, Campbellites, and etc., under the Scriptural guidelines of what that means, it's not fellowship in the truly strict sense of the word. It's just hanging out together. The same is true with or among Apostolics.

And here is proof: We are shown in the Scriptures that we have fellowship/communion with God and His Son through the Holy Spirit.

Now, this being the case, ask yourself: Do you and Jesus "hang out", like a couple of guys sitting on a couch with some chips and sodas watching the NBA finals? I doubt it. Every act of communion with the Lord is a spiritual one, that brings about personal change and devotion to God. The same is true, or at least, is supposed to be true, of fellowship. And singing "happy birthday" to a niece or nephew or playing video-games, even with a brother in the Lord (merely hanging out) does not accomplish this.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 05-28-2018, 03:01 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
First, I would say that we take an incorrect view of the word "fellowship". We've come to define the term simply as "hanging out together", usually with some kind of food or fun or both, like a quasi-religious birthday or high-school graduation party.

This isn't really the Biblical meaning of the word. In fact, last as I recall, in every instance, the Greek word for fellowship and for communion are the same word, translated two different ways. If I'm spelling it correctly, I believe it's koinonia and its derivatives.

So, one can hang out with non-Apostolics and share a meal and spend time together, but does that mean they are spiritually communing the way the Bible describes it?

Conversely, just because some Apostolics get together for some grub somewhere and chit-chat, does that mean they are truly, Scripturally fellowshipping?

Communion and fellowship in the Bible is an intentionally, deep, spiritual gathering for the purposes of breaking the communal bread of Christ's body and partaking of the cup of God's new covenant in Christ's blood.

It's not just some attempted re-enactment of the Last Supper, but it is a love feast, or feast of charity, and there are some strict guidelines on how those are to be conducted. Jude is a good place to look. So is 1 Corinthians 5.

So, my point is, questions become flawed when they are not based in the Biblical reality of the terminology.

So, unless you are actually participating in a love feast with some Baptists, Methodists, Campbellites, and etc., under the Scriptural guidelines of what that means, it's not fellowship in the truly strict sense of the word. It's just hanging out together. The same is true with or among Apostolics.

And here is proof: We are shown in the Scriptures that we have fellowship/communion with God and His Son through the Holy Spirit.

Now, this being the case, ask yourself: Do you and Jesus "hang out", like a couple of guys sitting on a couch with some chips and sodas watching the NBA finals? I doubt it. Every act of communion with the Lord is a spiritual one, that brings about personal change and devotion to God. The same is true, or at least, is supposed to be true, of fellowship. And singing "happy birthday" to a niece or nephew or playing video-games, even with a brother in the Lord (merely hanging out) does not accomplish this.
Good post!

I would only add that fellowship does involve more than the Lord's Supper, though, as in the following scriptures:

2 Cor 6:14 (marriage is likened to fellowship)

2 Cor 8:4 (fellowship is identified by accepting a charitable contribution for the poor saints and joining together in labouring for the Gospel)

Gal 2:9 (fellowship is identified with joint participation in ministry with sharing and distribution of responsibilities)

etc

Koinonia means essentially a sharing together, a participating together, "being on the same team". Or as I call it, being fellows on the same ship, headed for the same port.

" Hanging out" can be an act or evidence of fellowship. Or it may not be. Spouses hang out together, but just because two people are hanging out together doesn't mean they are married.

But you are definitely right, just because folks hang out doesn't mean they are in fellowship with each other.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 05-28-2018, 03:05 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Roller View Post
In mainstream theology, there is an idea called Post-Denominationalism that the Church banners Christians from all denominations. I'm sure many of you here already know about this idea (at least half of the fifteen of you ), so I don't think any more of a description is necessary.

Since I have been in the Oneness church, I have noticed a few things a fellowshipping. Some churches just will not do it. This could be because of different standards among churches, or because pastors are weary of their congregations being hurt by those whose mouths don't always stay closed on certain issues.

I know some Apostolics who will make excuses, have sympathy, or look around varying beliefs among the Baptists, Methodists, Nazarenes, etc., but who will always tend to ridicule or question the sincerity of other Apostolics because their standards or teachings do not align specifically with theirs. This makes absolutely zero sense to me. None.

To what measure do we fellowship with other churches?
Is it beneficial or not?
Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

We can walk together insofar as we are in agreement. If we are not in agreement, and cannot come to an agreeable resolution, we are not in fellowship on that point. Though we may be in fellowship on other points.

Fellowship should be determined by Scripture, imo.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 05-28-2018, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

Churches can and should maintain their doctrinal distinctions while fellowshipping with other believers.

I have fellowshipped with other believers all my life without compromising what I believed.

Set up the tables and set out the fried chicken. Let's have a fellowship meeting

Steve Ely can preach and Esaias can sing.