Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
apostolic, commitment, disciples of christ, doctrine, idolatry

Old 09-13-2020, 12:03 PM
Liberty

I read this today. What are your thoughts?

“Idolatry functions widely inside religious communities when doctrinal truth is elevated to the position of a false god. This occurs when people rely on the rightness of their doctrine for their standing with God rather than on God himself and his grace.” We aren’t saved by being right about everything and perfectly understanding the Bible. We’re saved by God’s grace as long as our faith is continually placed in Jesus."

What are your thoughts on this concept?
Old 09-13-2020, 12:08 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Re: I read this today. What are your thoughts?

I think it's a common excuse for doctrinal laziness and apathy, and a way to excuse fellowship with heretics, and a way to make people feel as comfy as possible.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 09-13-2020, 12:54 PM
New User

Sounds quite non denominational.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
I think it's a common excuse for doctrinal laziness and apathy, and a way to excuse fellowship with heretics, and a way to make people feel as comfy as possible.
Old 09-13-2020, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon View Post
“Idolatry functions widely inside religious communities when doctrinal truth is elevated to the position of a false god. This occurs when people rely on the rightness of their doctrine for their standing with God rather than on God himself and his grace.” We aren’t saved by being right about everything and perfectly understanding the Bible. We’re saved by God’s grace as long as our faith is continually placed in Jesus."

What are your thoughts on this concept?
Just off the cuff, I agree with Esaias.

I have said many times that false doctrine has consequences. I don’t believe that every false doctrine has the same consequences, but there are consequences, none the less.

Doctrinal truth should lead closer to the one true God, never to idols. Doctrinal truth leads to having a heart that is thankful for the grace of God, not legalism.

John.16

[13] Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

I’m concerned when people diminish the importance of truth. When truth is compromised doctrine suffers. When truth is emphasized that should be a good thing, right?

Because . . .

John.1

[14] And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Truth is an attribute of God.

Lies on the other hand?

John.8

[44] Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Lies are the spawn of the devil.
Old 09-13-2020, 02:28 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.
(1Ti 4:16)

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 09-13-2020, 02:29 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.
(1Ti 6:3-5)

Old 09-14-2020, 01:11 PM
On the road less traveled

Jesus fought every day of his public ministry with Pharisees who held their doctrine higher than their God. It is this kind of mindset I believe the quote is referring to.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
Jesus fought every day of his public ministry with Pharisees who held their doctrine higher than their God. It is this kind of mindset I believe the quote is referring to.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
I can definitely understand the concept. However the key phrase is doctrinal truth. The Pharisees were big on traditions of men. And they had the spirit of hypocrisy. That doesn’t seem to be doctrinal truth to me.