Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
depression, holy ghost, salvation, suicide

Old 09-12-2013, 12:04 PM
Banned

Re: Mental Illness Revisited...

Some emotional experiences can alter brain chemistry and/or function. I have a mild PTSD that can get out of hand if I'm not careful to recognize the symptoms when they are coming on.

Here's a little about this condition...

http://krillco.hubpages.com/hub/The-...stry--And-PTSD

Yes, I was in the military. However, the majority of my PTSD came from childhood abuse. My counselor helped bring to light that even my highly emotional and traumatic experiences in church are contributing factors. He has seen people come out of various churches and religions with PTSD.

My counselor has assisted me with Rapid Eye Movement Therapy. It helps.

Last edited by Aquila; 09-12-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
Some emotional experiences can alter brain chemistry and/or function. I have a mild PTSD that can get out of hand if I'm not careful to recognize the symptoms when they are coming on.

Here's a little about this condition...

http://krillco.hubpages.com/hub/The-...stry--And-PTSD

Yes, I was in the military. However, the majority of my PTSD came from childhood abuse. My counselor helped bring to light that even my highly emotional and traumatic experiences in church are contributing factors. He has seen people come out of various churches and religions with PTSD.

My counselor has assisted me with Rapid Eye Movement Therapy. It helps.
I know some here have poo poo'ed church experiences causing PTSD, but let me assure you that they can and do. To this day, I can react to a song service like a vietnam vet hearing a type writer in the background -with sudden shaking and cold sweats along with a desire to run in a random direction as far and fast as I can. My reaction to apostolic holiness religion from 30 years ago has forever shaped my view on things.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
I know some here have poo poo'ed church experiences causing PTSD, but let me assure you that they can and do. To this day, I can react to a song service like a vietnam vet hearing a type writer in the background -with sudden shaking and cold sweats along with a desire to run in a random direction as far and fast as I can. My reaction to apostolic holiness religion from 30 years ago has forever shaped my view on things.
I know. I start to freak out. It's like the walls are closing in on me, I can break into a cold sweat, and I feel shaky. Sometimes I feel physically ill after attending. Just last year I attended a drama at a church I used to attend. For the rest of the night it was like my mind was racing. I couldn't focus. I felt sick to my stomach. I was very irritable. I'll be honest... I prayed, poured some wine, put on some soft jazz, and practiced my breathing and positive memory focus. I fell asleep... I was TOTALLY drained the next day.

It's terrible. That "preacher voice" with the deep phony "vibrato" makes me so tense and shaky I can't listen to it long at all.

I also can't take loud noises. I've dealt with two very intense moments involving being fired upon. However, my therapist thinks that much of my reaction to loud noises is related to my childhood and the experiences I had.

In another thread I was trying to find something on Lee Stoneking on Youtube. I began watching one video and within minutes I felt the muscles in my neck tightening and I had to turn it off. And honestly, analytically speaking, it was a video of LS that is really really good.

Last edited by Aquila; 09-12-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

I have PTSD from my church experience. Just saying.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 09-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

I am reading The Last Best Cure right now. It talks about childhood experiences in trauma literally changing your brain. The higher the ACE score the worse your health as an adult is likely to be. Interesting stuff.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 09-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

There is nothing like having traumatic childhood experiences, developing depression and then being blamed for it by your pastor. I speak from personal experience. Thank God I climbed out.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
I have PTSD from my church experience. Just saying.
I think many people suffer from PTSD as a result of their church experiences. Authoritarian spiritual and emotional abuse damages people more than many realize. In addition, being dangled over Hell three or more times a week without ever achieving a place in God wherein you feel He loves you and is entirely pleased with you can also lead to PTSD.

Yes, we all need to be warned about sin and it's consequences. But many times it's delivered time and time and time again. If one truly believes in God and Hell... and only experiences fear of going to Hell over and over again... it can psychologically damage them.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
I think many people suffer from PTSD as a result of their church experiences. Authoritarian spiritual and emotional abuse damages people more than many realize. In addition, being dangled over Hell three or more times a week without ever achieving a place in God wherein you feel He loves you and is entirely pleased with you can also lead to PTSD.

Yes, we all need to be warned about sin and it's consequences. But many times it's delivered time and time and time again. If one truly believes in God and Hell... and only experiences fear of going to Hell over and over again... it can psychologically damage them.
You can read about my experience in A Wrecked Church thread. I told the story that one time in that one thread and my back and neck ached for days afterwards. I don't care to repeat it.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
I am really having a difficult time rationalizing how a person who is filled with the Holy Ghost AND living a life of holiness can be diagnosed with Major Depression, have suicidal thoughts, sadness that seems to re-occur repeatedly... how can I be witnessing this in a person who I KNOW is saved?

Really-- how is it possible? ...
Can't happen. 2 Timothy 1:7.
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 09-12-2013, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

Timmy, we all know that scripture really does not mean what it clearly says....